Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Where to put the spare?

1K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  oldfordisbetter 
#1 ·
Just ordered some rims for my truck. They are the XD series 795 black hoss's, 18x9's, 8x170, offset is -12, backside setting is 4.53. My question is whenever i get some tires on these things, probably 33" or 35" tires, where can i put the spare? It looks like it wont fit underneath b/c of the tow hitch, the spare underneath it is pretty much touchin the hitch. Cant mount it to the bed b/c i need the bed. I was thinking of mounting it behind my toolbox, put some chains around it and lock so nobody will steal it. Anyone else done this? If possible post some pics of where you put your spare. Thanks, Jake

#3 ·
i foreget what company makes it but i've seen it ALOT on the trails in moab & such. its a tube tailgate with a built in tire carrier... they look badass & serve both functions.. look into it. someone post up pics..

#4 ·
You're talking about a tire gate. Don't have the exact name of the company off the top of my head, but if you google it I'm sure you'll find what oldford is talking about.

I have a topper on my truck and had a buddy fabricate a tire chaulk like motorcycles use for their front tires on trailers. I can loosen one bolt and pull the top "V" section out and be left with only a 3/8" horseshoe shaped piece of steel in the bed. Course, it works because the topper hides the 37" tire standing straight up.....

Just be advised that if you leave a nice tire and rim in your bed, it will disappear regardless of how you have it secured. Locks only keep the honest man out.

#10 ·
see this is the reason i got AAA... aint gotta worry bout carrying spare tires & stuff...plus my dad has his own shop so if im within distance he could just come out & tow me home

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.