Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

sd axles in an obs

2K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  Clydesdale4x4 
#1 ·
hey guys i was just wondering if its possible to put sd axles in an obs. I came across a really good deal on a front and rear axle from a 2000 sd. Whats it all take to bolt them under the obs trucks. Any info/opinions would be great thanks guys.

#2 ·
Anything is possible, all depends on how much work you wanna do. I was looking at the same thing this week. The sd front axle spring perches are a little wider than OBS, rear IDK, havent measured them yet. The bolt pattern for the wheels is different so your current wheels wont work (you probly already know that) . Width looks to be close enough it wouldnt matter one way or the other. I know the turning radius is better on the sd stuff than obs.
Shouldnt be too hard to make it work, just a little fab work. Might need a proportioning valve for the rear brakes (OBS drums vs sd disks)

#3 ·
ok thanks for the info. Ya i already have some wheels for a superduty. So i am gonna go ahead and try it.

#4 ·
SD are an inch wider (perches). We stacked pieces of .375" plate to compensate, and the .5" I/we moved the mounting in on driver side... well that is where the shanks run for the U-bolts...

That brought the suck, shaved the pumpkin, c;learanced the springs, all sorts of shi#, still ended up with u-bolts that look like something Dr. Suess penned.

Wiill lay up some pics later.. feeding my 2 month old ATM, one finger typing sux.

#5 ·
lol ya one finger typing does suck especially driving like im doin now but some pics would be great and helpful thanks

#7 ·
It just so happens were looking at a RS kit to see just what can be done to use the SD axle in front, the rear just bolts right up. A different track bar and frame mount will be needed but we have them along with new SS brake lines.

Cary

#13 ·
Absolutely.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.