Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

4" to 4" exhaust connector: Bad idea?

6K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  derrick36 
#1 ·
I bought my tuner and exhaust used. The exhaust is off of an '08 cc/sb and I have an '08 cc/lb. No big deal. I purchased a piece of 4" tubing that is 4' long and was going to cut it down a couple of feet and just have it welded to the dpf/doc delete pipe before the muffler. I woulda needed to extend it about 2' to make up the difference.

I just went out to line everything up to see what I was working with, and it looks like I can use the entire 4' extension, discard the Basanni muffler all together, and run a straight pipe instead. Even if it's short a couple inches it won't interfere with anything.

If I do that I would hope to use clamped on exhaust connectors instead of having it welded. I could see my wife getting annoyed with the straight pipe sound and me putting the muffler back on shortly thereafter. With exhaust connectors it gives me the chance to install the muffler at anytime vs. if I was to have the pipes welded.

Is there any problem running 2 more connection points in the exhaust system?

Here's what I had in mind: Exhaust Connector 4" ID to 4" ID

The only thing I can think of is increasing the chances of the exhaust coming apart while driving down the road...

With that, are there any kind of exhaust clamps that are better than the other? I would need 4 more if I went this route.

Thanks in advance.

Derrick

See less See more
#2 ·
If you are going that route. Use the exhaust clamps that are on big rigs. They are a band style clamp and work way better and keep everything tight and sealed.

#4 ·
well they are what they sound like. its a band clamp about 3 inches wide or so. you can get them at any local shop probably. I have an international garage right down the road from me and thats what i used when I did my muffler delete!

#8 ·
#9 ·
Dynomax Performance 33274 - Walker Lap-Joint Band Clamps - Overview - SummitRacing.com

i got two of these holding my muffler on. they are stainless, good quality and have a seal on them. they have them for lap joints with the pipes overlapped or but joints with two same sized pipes
Thats what I was thinking. I went out and checked my setup and saw that these were being used: 4" Stainless AccuSeal Band Clamp exhaust parts stacks-3394

I'll see if I can find them locally and if not I'll get some on order.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.