burning oil.. again - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Home Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum > Super Duty 1999-Current > 7.3L Power Stroke Technical Info
Register Members List Timeslips Calendar Auto Loans Sponsors Becoming a Sponsor Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PowerStrokeNation.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 06-06-2010, 03:33 PM
j440
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

burning oil.. again

i replaced my injector o rings 3 months ago. was burning tons of oil. that fixed the problem until now. i noticed recently that there is blue smoke coming out usually while in neutral, or at a slow acceleration (such as a stop sign). i figure if the o rings are new it shouldn't be them, and if they were installed wrong or something it would have happened awhile ago. (3000 miles on since installed). the front of my turbo is wet (pedestal symptom??). my ccv has my intake all wet with oil as well. im down maybe 3qts since the new oil with the o rings was put in 3 months ago. my drain plug drips a little bit but i dont see 3qts coming out of there. i also have a 5.6k resistor mod installed. could my ICP be bad from using this? im going to check tomorrow if the plug is oily or if it runs better while un plugged.

anybody got any ideas?

thank you

also this is a late 99
Reply With Quote Go to the top
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2010, 04:15 PM
Arisley
All done now
Member's Gallery

Re: burning oil.. again

Oil on the front of the turbo is a bad sign. Check that our realy close, could be pedistal, EBPV, or even a turbo going out. Turbo going out would explain blue smoke out of the exhaust.

What brand of o-rings did you put on your injectors. Cheap ones have been known to live an extremely short life.

CCV having the intake all wet. Pull your oil filler cap off, place it upside down on the filler neck with the motor running. If it sets there or slowly vibrates off, blowby is OK. If it gets blown off, excessive blowby, have a compression check done. No clue on the resistor mod. I chose a custom chip instead of lying to my PCM.
Old 06-06-2010, 04:19 PM
j440
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

i used alliant o rings. i will check out the turbo more closely. and do the blow by check. thanks for the info
Old 06-07-2010, 11:01 PM
mack7.3
White Machine
Member's Gallery

I am having a similar problem with mine, I havent changed the o-rings yet but thats on my mind. I just wanted to figure out more of what the issue might be. I will do that blow by test...i know there is blow by though. So what does it mean if it blows off?? And What exactly should i look for in the turbo?
35 inch Toyo M/T
Hypermax Stage 1 Injectors
Hypermax Intercooler
ATS Transmission
5 Inch Exhaust
Old 07-06-2010, 12:58 PM
damian
Banned
Member's Gallery

these injectors can leak internally past the intensifier piston,i have had many DT466 engines do this,they use gallons a week.unfortunately there is no good way to single out the culpret and i dont know of any fuel shop that can accurately test for this problem as the leak by only seems to happen in real running conditions.if you are sure its not your turbo,external leaks or a base engine/exssesive blowby issue, it may be your injectors.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:08 PM
j440
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

well, the front of my turbo is wet, it doesn't burn that much oil at all. maybe 2qts to 1k miles? its not a lot. and the EBPV lever is soaked in oil. its most definitely something in the turbo.. but im not to worried about it

i also checked the blowby thing, it barely rattled off so it's not that
Old 10-14-2010, 11:04 PM
truckpullin_75
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by damian View Post
these injectors can leak internally past the intensifier piston,i have had many DT466 engines do this,they use gallons a week.unfortunately there is no good way to single out the culpret and i dont know of any fuel shop that can accurately test for this problem as the leak by only seems to happen in real running conditions.if you are sure its not your turbo,external leaks or a base engine/exssesive blowby issue, it may be your injectors.
That seems to be what my 2002 is doing. We've owned the truck since new and it went from using very little to no oil to using almost a gallon every 200 miles or so, only has 94,xxx on it now. Ive checked the fuel bowl/filter and the fuel looks clean so I don't think its the o-rings and I just installed a non-ebpv pedestal and 1.0 housing and the turbo show no signs of internal leakage. I've checked the hpop and fittings as well and no oil in the valley. Looks like might be a good excuse to upgrade the injectors a bit .

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 138
00PSD, 02powerstroke, 04 hotrod, 2001 f350, 4duggan, 7.3 superior duty, 7.3FisherFord, 79Ford7.3, 94strokeher, 96Powerstrokin, 96strokerbp, Adrenalinrrush, aklim, Arisley, Big Monk, Big Red 350, big-country, bigbadford01, bigbear64, bigdawg69, bigger, BigTXForddiesel, bigwheel, birdog, Blake8550, Boydog, brent, Brian918, browncraig11, Bubba22, Buford-61, Bushwakd, candyman19440, canzer106, CGMKCM, CHevDog1, clayhill21, clydesdale, colekym, Colorado7.3, crashingone2002, Csulli250, CUMMINS_KILLA99, Custerpsd, damian, dan_k, dbweaver82, deiter5262, DHTD, dirtyD, donj1977, doubledoor, extreme3807, F350_7.3, farmall99, fast92gsx, fordlanefarmer, Ggg, Gibrid4x4, gracing, HaysKSFirefighter, Headcase98002, hondaracer315, hotrodtodd, IEBahner, ironworker25, j440, jello, JerseyJim, jgmood050, Jim Watson, joediesle, Joel77, JohnDeereFarmer, Jolo170, jrinalb, jrracerdad, ju015dd, kickstand, kramarj, ktmrydr686, lght1, Longdrive, lowbedriver, mack7.3, madmaxz, MagKarl, maverik2711, mfont66, mojoman, nadekeys, ncrandell, NE91idi, newpowertroker, nine54, NorCalDiesel, Ohnny101, oldfordisbetter, Phiber Optik, PJB, Powerstoke_Fan, procomp, PSDfan99, R$H racing, r00ster, ralph, renyren, rickey, rickvm, Rob02F350, rollin_smoke, Sea97Stroker, sethc24, silverslug, SKIRK, sm1993svtblk, sniper_101, snowman600, SootRoller, speeddemon31176, star73, Stroken7.3, stroker2, superduty, swanfrd, tbolt, THE HANS, TheDirt, theoldgirl1990, thompson238, TruckeePSD, truckpullin_75, TxFire, ward farm, whitestroke, woodduck97, yzdude250f, zaairman