Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

6 liter help

4K views 42 replies 18 participants last post by  Steamfighter 
#1 ·
Bought a 2006 6 liter with 70k. I drove for a little over a yr, at 90 now. All stock no problems. But I have been reading and its seems like just a matter of time. To delete the EGR valve & cooler, tuner, Exhaust, guages. looking at $3500. And thats not including if i were to do the heads. For all I would be looking at about $6300. Can I get by with out doing the head studs. Find it really hard to spend this much money.

#2 ·
IF your heads are in good shape, and you havent blown your gaskets you wont have to. Some folks have been tuned and never really had a problem really depends how you drive it in the end.

Full EGR Delete
SCT x3
Exhaust
Gauges
Coolant Filtration

#5 ·
Check out Innovative Diesel, Gearhead, GoGo Diesel, and Firstcoast Diesel Products sites. They are all vendors on here and should be able to inform you on the custom tune options for your needs. One or more will probally chime in shortly.

On the headstuds I tend to agree with RescueF250. It is all in how you drive it. You will get various opinions on that also.

Good Luck.

#8 ·
I've been tuned for over a year now on stock headbolts with no HG issues (knock on wood) but I don't race anyone everytime I'm at a light. I do have plans though in the future for headstuds though, just for the relaibility.

#10 ·
Yea pretty much, but just keep in mind, some trucks can blow headgaskets stock. You pay to play.

#11 ·
I had a guy tell me you needed to run them hard to flush the carbon buildup out of the EGR?

#14 ·
I blew my hg with just a tuner, then I blew them again with ARP's in (put in by the dealer though). Running stock TTY bolts again and haven't blown the HG yet so what does that tell you? It's hit and miss. Most of it depends on how the truck is driven.

#35 ·
Were these all on the same tune? Were you every able to determine the root cause of all the failures? I have have had several ARP studded cars and have yet to blow an HG. The cars that I have seen blow HG's with ARPs all sufferred a great deal of damage, because the ARPs did their job and held like a SOB..most of it due to tuning/fueling issues.

#18 ·
im setting currently at 199,486 miles, heads have never been off the pickup, i run right at 30psi@wot, Gearheads Street Race Lite, Gogo Egr Delete, and a factory exhaust with the kitty and muffler cut out, only thing ive done to the motor is put a hpop in last week, i don't drive it like a race car but every now n then i beat on it like a red headed step child and she holds together great, mind you im on factory headbolts at this point still, but im lookin at 185's from elite and a vgt-ss so studs will be inevitable

#19 ·
Theres alot of things that are proven, and hype in diesel performance world, after many discussion with folks and senior members, why spend 3k or something on heads when you can gain maybe 20hp at that, with that said you then gonna have to spend the money on intake porting, then your exhaust manifolds, Theres alot of folks out here running well over 500hp up to 800hp on stock heads, upgrading the intake is kool with me but everything else eh wouldnt think twice unless your building a pulling machine and straight drag truck then maybe

#25 ·
I have an S&B on mine.

#31 ·
look at the far right of the screen where it says forums click on the topic u want when u do it will take u to another screen at the top left it says new thread ;)

#32 ·
its just lil lag a intake will help with this a lil bit but tunes will really make it come alive, its kinda like the power band on a 2 stroke LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.