Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

california smog check

11K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  jystorey 
#1 ·
i just got my smog check notification in the mail with my registration renewal notice. i was wondering if anybody on here has done the inspection and what they encountered. preferably some guys from the san diego area if there are some. im currently deployed to kuwait right now and i am depending on my wife and a friend back home to get this done. does anybody know where you can take them to, or can it be any old smog check station? thanks in advance for yall's help.

#2 ·
There can't be any mods to the Eng ( so no programmer ) they hook it up to the computer check for codes if its a 99 or under it requires a snap test. Any ol smog shop should do it.

#9 ·
There is SOO many misconceptions about CA smog.

There can't be any mods to the Eng
This is false. You absolutely can modify your engine, you just cant do what ever you want.

Cats are a big deal.. if your truck ever had one. But few 99-04 Powerstrokes did.

There are plenty of things you can do to get by even with non-smog modifications.

All they will do for the SMOG inspection is:

1) Check for obvious smog violations (e.g. Compound turbos, easily visible chip, etc)

2) Check for CEL and silent codes using scanner

3) Snap test to check for excessive smoke

THATS IT!
The smog tech will take no more than 10 minutes to do your truck. If you have a chip, hide it or unplug it before going. If you have big mods such as injectors you will need to keep the chip plugged in and in STOCK to pass. Just hide the chip well.

#4 ·
what about banks chips? i discovered the banks otto-mind after i bought the truck, and havent had the money to get one from DP-tuner yet. i plan on taking care of that when i get back from kuwait. and does anybody know if the banks moster exhaust is legal in california?

#5 ·
what about banks chips? i discovered the banks otto-mind after i bought the truck, and havent had the money to get one from DP-tuner yet. i plan on taking care of that when i get back from kuwait. and does anybody know if the banks moster exhaust is legal in california?
Here is a list of the companies products on the CARB in process list.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/products_in_progress_list.pdf

If the company is on the in process list, but they don't have the exemption number you will not be failed due to that product being on your truck. As long as its on the list they will note that when you get tested.

Diane

#7 ·
Diane,
Thanks for the information. I appreciate it very much. I am definately going to be talking with yall about a tuner when i get back from Kuwait. I meant to do it after my last deployment, but never got around to it.
Tim

#8 ·
I bought my truck in Texas, and its listed as "Not for CA sale". Its a 99.5, has no cat, MBRP 5" turbo back exhaust (straight pipe), Edge Evolution tuner, Banks Technicooler, AFE intake, FASS lift pump, new Garrett 38R turbo.

Its currently registered in Texas, any ideas if i'll run into problems trying to register it in CA? Or should i just keep registering it in Texas, who lets me register it w/ a CA mailing address?

#10 ·
It's a visual inspection for newer trucks snap test for older models. If your trucks newer you MUST have a Catalytic Converter and DPF. If older just a Catalytic Converter is required there's no laws on mufflers on diesels so anything cat back for an exhaust will be fine straight pipe or aftermarket exhaust kits. If you have any engine mods such as EGR Delete they will fail you so put it back on if you deleted it, if you have a tuner like stated above remove it for the test, if you have a aftermarket intake make sure it's CARB approved if its not they will fail you charge for the smog test and tell you to come back when you either have a CARB approved one or your stock one back on.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#15 ·
I heard that same thing. Well I unfortunately live in Bakersfield, CA air quality here is down right piss poor ? has to be the worst in America if I'm not mistaken. I'm surprised I didn't get a snap test done I've heard of others in my town that perform them on every diesel I think I just got that lazy smog tester trying to hurry and make a quick buck. I recently got a used DPF and gutted it out and threw a H&S tuner on my truck so hopefully next time I get as lucky as I did before and he will just do a quick visual check and sign it off! ?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#16 ·
I think there was a map of CA on here a while ago that highlighted all the different areas to show the different smog testing regulations. Im pretty sure they base the smog testing off of population; for example LA will have strict smog test requirements compared to Desert Center which has maybe 100 people and no smog test requirements.(other than change of ownership) But no matter where you live anywhere in the US its still a federal crime to remove any emissions equipment from on hwy vehicles.

#17 ·
Chula Vista is a great guy, he did my 2001 F350 7.3 and is very good. Simple check make sure your CEL light will turn on and off with the key ignition. Also must have cat if it cam with and muffler. No chips, or programers. Must be all stock. NO SMOKE!!!!!! LOL

Jerryjust Baja.

#23 ·
The test procedure is the same for the whole state. All diesels that require a smog inspection should have a snap test. The the state has not done a very good job educating the smog inspectors.......so results will vary. Depending on the technician, inspections will not be the same even though they all have the same rules and laws.

Best thing to do is educate yourself before you get inspected. Here are the links to most info you might need.

http://smogcheck.ca.gov/80_BARResources/05_Legislative/RegulatoryActions/DieselWorkInf.html"]Diesel Vehicle Smog Check Inspections Information

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.