Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

How are ya'll cleaning ya'lls air filters?

2K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  edge186 
#1 ·
I have been running an AFE stage 2 air filter for quite sometime and all I have been doing for cleaning is removing it and blowing it out with air. I noticed now it is starting to be a little darker than it was. I have an old recharging kit from a K&N filter I ran on my wifes truck. I am just wondering if it will damage the AFE filter if I clean it with this? When I bought the AFE I don't remember reading anywhere on wetting the filter. For this kit I wil need to completely sock the filter.

#6 ·
For cleaning I use Motorex filter cleaner I got for my motor bike. So much easier than the spray on stuff from K&N, AFE, or similar. I fill the sink with hot water, add the powder and mix. Then put the filter in the solution and agitate enough not to splash water everywhere. Rinse, let dry, and oil with filter oil from AFE or K&N (whichever was cheaper at the purchase time)

#7 ·
The one thing that you are not suppose to do is blow them out with high pressure air. Even after washing with water and filter cleaner you should just let them air dry.

#8 ·
Yeah I read that on the k&n kit. But I think that only applies when they arte wet. I hope so because I have been blowing mine out when it is dry since I have had it lol

#9 ·
I have two filters for mine so I switch the clean one in and then use the AFE cleaning solution to clean it then rinse it out with clean water from the inside as per the instructions. After it has dried for a day or two, I re-oil it and put it inside the bag and back in the box until I am ready to replace it again. I have the pre-filter on mine as well and this keeps a lot of the crap out of the filter. Usually clean the pre-filter twice between PG7 changes.

#10 ·
depends if you have the wet or dry element AFE2 filter.
i have the Dry element style and i belive it says to tap out heavy dirt then wash with mild detergent in the sink and let dry. then put it back in dry. DO NOT OIL.
Mild detergent is something like hand dishwashing soap and warm water, just like washing dishes by hand in the sink.

#11 ·
Do not blow it out with air. It will alter the tightly wound gauze in the filter and then it will start to let more fine grit get by.

#13 ·
i know its an old thread but i've been wondering about re-oiling an AFe filter with K&N oil but after reading this thread, I assume it is okay to do so..

and just a side note, Don't ask how i know this but, along with NOT blowing the filters with air, DO NOT use any kind of heat source (such as a heat gun) to dry the filter!!!!!!!! It burns the material and leaves big holes! Luckily it was for my quad, not the truck and I caught it right after it happened.

#15 ·
Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.