Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Drop the tank or pull off the bed

3K views 13 replies 13 participants last post by  SootRoller 
#1 ·
I'm putting in a FASS 150/180 and I'm trying to figure out what way would be the easiest to access the tank. Either drop the tank or take the bed off and work from above. Can't imagine popping it off would be all that hard. Opinions?

#2 ·
imma gonna install my airdog on my dodge this weekend, my plan is to unbolt the bed and lift it up so i can get to the top of the tank, its only a few bolts and I won't have to worry bout dropping down a heavy tank.

#4 ·
like said above it easier IMO to drop the tank the bed bolts dont like to come out,you may do more damage tryin to pull the bed

#6 ·
I dropped the tank on mine as well, to do the sump, the FASS, and redo the fuel lines.... it isnt bad, just dont try it with a full tank of fuel. you can also use a motorcycle or atv jack and it will be alot easier.... i did mine without one by myself and it was a PITA. good luck with the FASS, i had mine for about a month it quit working..... had to send it back and wait for another... i didnt feel like paying the 400 dollar core charge. after i got the new one it has been fine (knock on wood).

#7 ·
i don't think the bed has been off before. the cab has multiple times though:doh: I'm still not sure which route to go. If I soak those bolts with penetrating spray for a couple days, think that'll help?

also, it seems like most people I know that have had a problem with FASS have had problems with the original pump motor. once it's replaced with a newer generation motor, they all seem to work great. this unit has a newer pump so i'm hoping for no problems.

#10 ·
also, it seems like most people I know that have had a problem with FASS have had problems with the original pump motor. once it's replaced with a newer generation motor, they all seem to work great. this unit has a newer pump so i'm hoping for no problems.
Is there any way to tell what generation motor is on the unit? I have a FASS sitting in the basement that I ordered last year. I'd rather not put the unit on if I'm going to replace it after a month.

#8 ·
Get some clear hose to siphon all of the Diesel out of the tank, and dropping it will be easy. Especially on a Lifted truck!

#9 ·
Ford puts that blue locktight or whatever it is on the bed bolts (like on the cab bolts) they can be stubborn. if your down south and you don't have any rust at all you should be able to get them out.

#12 ·
definitely drop the tank.the j clips that go on the frame are not threaded the first time they get assembled,they self thread when you ram the bolt in em.combined with loc-tite the only way ive been able to get them out successfully (in one piece and usable)is with heating them.if you do ever pull the bed,the bolt are a torx+ not a typical torx.once you try a normal torx in them the torx+ wont fit anymore.plan on buying all new bolt and clips too.ive pulled 50+ ford beds and theyre all the same....motherfackers

#14 ·
Drop tank. After it's drained, it will take 10 minutes to drop it. Pop your supply line off your primary housing, jump the connector for the pump, { I believe it's the puple w/t black tracer, I really don't remember, it's been a while. It should be fairly simple to figure out, the only other wire on the connector is black [ground] }, then hook up a line to the supply and drain it into some clean fuel cans. Takes about 20 minutes if it's full and you don't even get dirty, just make sure your leads are long enough to make it to your driver side battery. Hot to hot, ground to ground. After it's drained, you can handle the tank pretty easily yourself with a small floor jack. Hope this helps!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.