Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

First impression: Reman engine from Tidewater Machine

11K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  shoebear 
#1 ·
I got my new re-manufactured engine from Tidewater Machine installed last Sunday. I had the engine built stock except for CompCam 910 springs. As part of the engine replacement, I also replaced the HPOP with an Adrenaline and had the tech gut the EBPV. The tech kept it for a couple of days to make sure it ran OK and also to recharge the AC. I picked the truck up last night and drove it to work and back (132m, elevation ranging from about 5471-7352'). Here are my first impressions compared to the old engine:
  • EGT's are about 150° lower: I used to run level at 65mph at about 650°, now I run 75 at 650°.
  • There was an intermittent ticking sound with the #5 cylinder -- gone
  • The turbo whine had a bit of a stutter where a weak cylinder interrupted the exhaust flow -- gone
  • The engine has a different sound. It's hard to describe, but the combustion sound has a harder edge to it, and the exhaust is a bit more sonorous, kind of a mellow glass-pack hot-rod sound.
  • The old engine would smoke excessively above about 3000rpm -- not anymore.

The tech didn't see any problems with the Tidewater engine, except that he said he'd never seen a long block come in so bare -- no plugs of any kind, like oil & fuel rail, so they all had to be transferred off my old engine. Also, the gasket kit wasn't quite right, so I had to buy a couple of gaskets.

If anyone needs a good tech in the Colorado Springs/Monument/Castle Rock area, send me a PM. My tech worked on the side for a very reasonable rate, and he did a great job.

I plan to put at least a couple thousand miles on the engine before I tow, play with programming, etc. I'll report back as appropriate.

I paid $3100 for the engine + $100 for the CompCam springs + $175 extra shipping charge = $3375 to Tidewater. I haven't added everything up yet, but I expect my total out-the door price is around $6000 or a bit more. This includes the engine, labor, towing, having the injectors cleaned & tested, and replacement parts. Major replacement parts include HPOP, oil cooler, front cover, up-pipes, water pump, and oil pickup.

See less See more
#2 ·
Good to hear.
Get some behind the wheel seat time and report back with some more updates.

#3 ·
Hey Bushwackd -- Tidewater Machine is practically in your back yard, 165 miles away in Norfolk. Have you heard anything about them?

#4 ·
There was a thread going about them and the owner even replied to it. He said he does remans for UPS, Fed- EX, Military vehicles etc. PSN members thought good of him but nobody had bought any engine from him to speak about except you.

#5 ·
I have close to 1000 miles on the new engine now and remain happy with it; it has worked well in every respect. I've had IPR and tranny cooler issues, but these have nothing to do with the engine itself, and I think I have them resolved now.

It's pretty cool to see my oil be still practically clear after 1000 miles on it. Also, no oil leaks. Yay!

#6 ·
Shoebear -- thanks for posting up this information. I've been keeping an eye out for someone who bought one of their engines just in case mine decides to quit on me. For the price, I think they're hard to beat but I never saw any feedback from anyone who was actually running one of them.

Thanks! (and keep us posted on how things are going)

#7 ·
I will post from time to time, but probably not unless I have something to report. So no news is good news. However, feel free to ask me about the engine anytime by PM.

Colorado requires a dyno emissions test every year, and the place I take mine also reports horsepower and torque. I'll need to do this next in February, so I'll post again then at least.

#10 ·
Adam, since you're dealing with a 6L, you will probably post in that forum. However, I would appreciate a link to your thread posted here.

#11 ·
haha wow i live in va beach and never realized i could get a reman engine from a place 14miles away..thanks for the thread. i may be giving them a call

#12 ·
You're welcome, 99whitestroker. If you use them, please let us know how it goes. My engine is still running well. --Dan

#14 ·
I would like to know more about your experience.

#16 ·
Ironically, I just spoke with Adam about his experience with Tidewater the other day. Lets just say that after hearing his story it'd be hard to convince me to buy one of their engines.

If he cares to share the details, I'll let him post them.

#17 ·
I would rather not go into detail at all, as I am trying to forget the whole deal. Just trust me, this is just a warning, it all sounded to good to be true, Craig told me everything I wanted to hear, until there was a problem, I couldn't get in touch with him, the story changed, he didn't do what he said he would do. The heads we not properly checked before they left on the block, resulting in injector cup problems, which lead to the cab coming back off to pull the heads off and send them back which lead to a very very unhappy customer.

#18 ·
was it your truck, or a customers truck?

#21 ·
Couple of updates:

Tidewater Machine now goes by Blackwater Engines, but it's still the same outfit owned by Craig Talley.

My engine continues to do OK, but I've only put 6000 miles on it in the two years since I installed it. (I got a new job about that time with a 133 mile round trip commute, and I got a VW Jetta TDI commuter car. So my F-350 mostly just sits in my driveway.) I just had a new turbo installed, hoping to fix an oil consumption problem that existed on my old engine as well. The tech who did the job said that the old turbo was not leaking, and he thought the oil was going to excessive blow-by. However, it looks like the new turbo fixed the oil consumption problem, so I wonder how excessive the blow-by is? Maybe the engine is just still breaking in.

I do have a small oil leak from the rear main seal, and I haven't yet tried to get warranty service for that. I intend to do so soon (before the 3 year warranty expires).

Nothing exciting. Just thought I would post a follow-up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.