Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Homemade Gooseneck Hitch

19K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  Choupique108 
#1 ·
I peeked under my dad's 97 F250, and saw that it's basically just a piece of channel stretching from frame to frame. And the mounting rails that current manufacturers use (Custom Trailer Hitch Products, Custom Receiver Hitch, Heavy Duty Towing, Curt Manufacturing) are nothing more than just a piece of angle and a piece of steel with 2 end plates for bolt-up mounting to the side of the frame. Is the design utilizing a piece of channel (stretching across from frame to frame) that my dad's truck uses (and has for thousands of bails (often 11-12 6' bails at a time) and full loads of cattle) adequate enough to use on mine? I've heard the point loads on the frame (from the channel) causes high stress points that you want to be careful of, but just welding a piece of plate to the channel to create a uniform load would fix that. Just wondering what is acceptable practice. Thanks in advance.

P.S. - This is posted elsewhere, but I value some of you guys responses that I may not have gotten at other places. By the way - pictures rock!

#2 ·
I don't think anyone in my family has ever bought a goose neck hitch.
They're too easy to make to spend any money for one...if you have the tools that is.
I made one a while back out of 6" C-channel with 3" angle iron on the ends welded to the frame....pulls a 34' deck-over with a back-hoe on it daily.

#3 ·
:whs:

My current hitch consists of a 1" thk plate sitting on top of the frame rails, with a 6" or 8" piece of channel welded underneath that for a little extra support in the middle. We've never had one rip out. Like Richard said, Everyone in my family builds there own. Plus now, I just bring the metal that I need home from work.... We use the ball/sleeve combo, not the ball/hex nut type. Either one will work.

#5 ·
Bullsh!t...not if you know how to weld.
If that's the case...back halfs on drag cars and bagged trucks should be falling off left and right.

A weld done correctly will be the strongest point.

#7 ·
A weld done correctly will be the strongest point.
Sorry, just not true. If load is distributed along a beam, any change in the beam's strength creates a stress point. I'm not saying welding always causes problems, since usually the frame is much stronger than needed, but I wouldn't weld a gooseneck brace directly at the point where the load is being applied to the frame.

#8 ·
I've only been a certified welder since I was 17 and took my classes after hours during high school...I have no idea what I'm talking about.
Never welded a hitch to a frame, never back halfed a vehicle, never c-notched or airbagged a vehicle.....I'm totally clueless.

#9 ·
I am a certified welder and that makes pretty much no sense. If welded correctly it will be fine. if that where true caterpillar would have a boat load of problems as i have welded there frames on the motor graters. Most frames are welded together somewhere. i have seen some very poorly welded stuff do some fairly amazing stuff.

#11 ·
Okay I agree that I've never seen a proper weld EVER break on something that has a load on it. BUT in all my diesel classes we were always told that "in theory" a weld isn't as strong as bolting and to always bolt onto a frame. As long as the bolt is not in the flange of the frame and is in the middle it is "suppose" to be stronger than a weld. Once again not agreeing not disagreeing as I feel a weld is stronger but have always been taught to bolt even when stretching a semi frame was taught to bolt the fishplates on, never weld.

#12 ·
i think both of you guys are right, i just got done with my second year of welding at a tech school. if a weld is done correctly it will never break, but the heat treated zone around the weld you have to watch for. i would say do which either you are more comfortable with, i bolted mine but i got it as a kit from my friend for free.

#13 ·
If I welded it on, it would be the weakest point. If Richard welded it on, I would trust it all day long, with as big a load as I could put on there.

#14 ·
i have made many homemade goosenecks and some have been through more abuse than you could imagine. Ive welding everyone to the frame and have NEVER had a problem. So i dont think welding to the frame will cause a problem as long as its done correctly... My truck now has a B&W in it only bc i got it for free before i could build my own. Id rather have a homemade one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.