Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

rear pumpkin

2K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  jlau6888 
#1 ·
Gonna make this quick, i need to get to sleep but wanna post before i do so.

I went sled pulling this weekend, spun the pumpkin uo facing the bed and broke the driveshaft, what is the best way to get the correct angle of the pumpkin when i have it turened back right, as far as i can see the gears and all are fine, gonna pull the gears out tomorrow and thouroughly check them.

will post more details tomorrow.

Thanks Yall

#4 ·
I don't think that's going to be a turn it back and weld it in place, more like a remove and replace. I seriously doubt those axle tubes are anywhere near square to the center section, and you need them to be square and straight.

Dave

#5 ·
i would say once you know what calculated pinion angle you want with how your suspension is set up, take an angle finder across the mounting lip for the diff cover and do the reverse engineering.

#7 ·
I did the same thing to my truck, I ended up replacing the whole rear axle. here are some pix of my lil mishap.

#9 ·
Looks like I'll be breaking out the welder sometime this week to lay a bead on my axle tubes.

#11 ·
So how do I know what angle I want? Reverse calclation - I'm noo good at math, haha.

Yall thinks its fd anyways, don't fix it? Replace the whole rear?

#12 ·
I would def replace the entire axle. If its a puller or offroad only truck and it doesnt matter if its off a touch, then yes fix it. But for a street driven truck, I dont think you could get it back to OEM specs. You would be just asking for tire wear, tracking, and gear wear issues down the road.

#13 ·
I've seen rotated center sections back into place and rewelded the plug welds and around the tubes before. Chances are the tube are still square and it just needs to be rotated back to whatever pinion angle he would like and weld it. Rotating those center sections back is not very fun..... there is a DD truck here in the parking lot at work that rotated the center section at the pulling track and corrected it - just rotated it back and welded it.

#15 ·
i have a spare rear, but think i am going to pull this one out, go over it all and try to re install it with it welded, its not as bad as i made it sound, the drive shaft broke off at the plate that bolts to the rear, (the plate broke, not the ds) and the axle is up noticably, but not facing the bed

#16 ·
with your rear driveline off put an angle finder across the transfer case yoke to get a reading perpendicular to the ground. then rotate your rear end down until the yoke is at the same angle as the transfer case yoke. as long as the angles are the same you wont have a vibration.

#17 ·
anyone have a 03 or newer parts truck? that peice is crazy prices from ford. will buy asap, thankss!

#18 ·
I paid 800 bucks for a complete rear end out of a 2004 f350 gasser, and it had 4.33 gears. call up some salvage yards. and check out craigslist. good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.