Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Any Linux users?

2K views 20 replies 6 participants last post by  freddie 
#1 ·
Anybody running linux? If so what distro. I have been playing around with several different distros for a while now. I kept Windows but so far I have been able to do anything I need to. There is just so many different flavors I don`t know which one to try next. So if you like a certain version let me know which one and tell me why.

#3 ·
I use it daily. There are about 3 to 5 core distro's the rest are just mods of those core ones.

Gaming sucks with linux not because of the operating system itself just the headaches involved running windows games under linux. Plus there are very few games that are compiled to run under linux natively.

But business its great. Beyond that I like windows better.

#5 ·
Shake and bake use Id go with ubuntu. Its the most popular right now with a higher level of cutting edge enhancements seen faster than the other distro's.

#9 ·
Hmm I downloaded Ubuntu yesterday, and it is almost finished installing today. I figured I would give it a shot. My HP laptop is only like 2 months old, but I wanted to try something different than windows 7.

I'm going to have to spend some time reading and learning about half of the OS's mentioned in this thread, and to see if there is something better for me.

I almost never have virus's, I'm cautious and use common sense when web browsing. Using Firefox also helps. I primarily just use my computer to get on the internet, whenever I feel like using the laptop instead of my HTC Incredible (usually sufficient). I heard that Linux based operating systems were quicker, so I thought I'd give it a shot and see if it is for me. I am dual booting with windows 7.

I have some games COD:MW and COD:MW2, but I could play them on Windows, I dont know that there would be any benefit to playing them on Ubuntu.

#10 ·
Ubuntu is the best for a desktop as of right now in linux but more than likely your going to like windows 7 a ton better.

#11 ·
Having run the latest and greatest of Fedora I have to say that I'm more impressed with how much Linux has improved in userfriendliness then Windows has.

I prefer Fedora over Ubuntu any day of the week. I also prefer KDE over Gnome, to me getting into the settings of Gnome is just as incomprehensible as trying to work with Windows.

The only issue I have is the buggy 64bit flash player and some issues with the soundcard when swapping from one source, like flash to spotify or vice versa, minor irritants really.

But I got to say compared to previous Windows versions Windows 7 actually seems to be a solid system that you can actually just install and leave and it'll work. But I still prefer Linux.

#12 ·
I installed two hard drives in my computer with a Romtec selector switch. I have Winslow 7 on a 250 gig hard drive and Ultimate Edition 2.7 on another 250 gig hard drive. I have not switched to Winslow in months. I will not use Winslow unless I have too. I don`t really care for Ubuntu myself, Ultimate Edition linux is Ubuntu on steroids. It does many things that ubuntu won`t do at all and it does anything that Ubuntu does better. Windows just gets more resource hungry with every release.

#14 ·
Well hopefully you guys can help me out..

I installed Ubuntu alongside Windows 7. I had my external hard drive plugged in during the install.

I can boot my computer up in either OS with the external harddrive connected. However, if it is NOT connected, my computer boots only tries to boot Ubuntu. It gives me an error before Ubuntu actually loads.

Any advice on what to do? Its obviously an inconvenience to HAVE to have my external harddrive connected all of the time.

#15 ·
Boot to Ubuntu and make sure the external drive is removed then open up a terminal window and run this

sudo update-grub2

That should fix it.

#19 ·
That depends on how you installed it.

If you erased the external drive and put it on there in a native to linux format then you will need to change the partition size of the partition thats on the internal drive for there to be room for the linux(ubuntu's) partition also.

It would probably be simpler to just reinstall it if your not used to doing partition resizing and such and you had just installed ubuntu.

#20 ·
As for making it boot windows again, run grub from the boot disk and uninstall grub choosing to restore the old boot loader.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.