Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

6.7L engine knock/tick

29K views 129 replies 36 participants last post by  PTSUPERD 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
* Original post above by Wingburner moved to start a new thread *

that does not sound good. for u or the new ford engine.

#3 ·
mine started as soon as i got home i noticed it i got mine 5 days ago same thing when its cold its fine soon as it warms it ticks very sickly knocky ticky sound .. any way my salesman is also my friend so when i told him he said your crazy just drive it any way he called me today and said there reginal tech stopped by .. he told him about it and the tech said some do it some dont but there working on a fix he said it dont hurt any thing..man this sucks the truck sounds like crap setting idleing .. i want it fixed..

#6 ·
Since I posted I have read it's the HPP doing something weird and they are working on a fix.

I'm with you, I didn't pay big money to have this irritating knock knock knock while it's idleing. I rely on mine for work and is the only way I can afford one of these gems.

Not really thrilled about having a new truck tore apart, and here in Canada my K.Ranch listed at $81,669. To say I'm a litle choked is an understatement. Of course I didn't pay that but still!!!!

All the HYPE and the BRAGGING from Ford and here we are again....ISSUES!!!

#7 ·
Dude, you bought a new gen powerstroke from ford! You remember all the issues that IH had with the first 7.3L? Always wait a year or two before buying a new gen truck/motor until they fix all the little quirks. There are a chit load of people that are saying "told ya so"

#9 ·
i highly recommend you grow up a lil' if your going to be hanging around these parts, the i told you so's are probly guna be all over, but id still own one, just cuz it rattles don't mean its broke, and sorry to say but it sounds like u have more dollars than sense if u get what im sayin, im sorry your truck rattles like a diesel but don't bitch about it please

#11 ·
You posted this in an open forum, you're gonna get input from all angles, that's what forums are for. :doh:

#12 ·
and by the way i dont need to hear sarcasim crap i told you so is just jealous sarcasim ....also i dont need to hang around these parts what does that spose to mean i live in america are you thinking im from canada ..........thats whats wrong with this obama elect country........they dont stand up for there own and its full of jealous smart mouth welfare collecting a holes dont worry i will not be posting or viewing on this site or any other for that fact.....................this is why i hate people....im out

#21 ·
ok 60p-stroke we all know the 60 had problems lets say you get on here with a story of your new 60 with a problem and i harp in with a reply I TOLD YOU SO i think you would get upset ...i really dont mean to upset any one but it made me mad then every one takes up for the smart mouth ...........i got attacked first start at top of thread and read in order i dont want to upset any descent people im just an old barn painter that bleeds for his money like every one else i dont need to hear i told you so how bout dude i hope your trucks alright

#23 ·
6.0 guys are always getting $hit from people, trust me. I just think you went about your responses in a way that turns most knowledgeable people away. Good luck with the new truck :ford:

#24 ·
I have 1400 kms on my 6.7L and it has inherited a knocking sound.

It all started at about 700 kms. I noticed a knock which was quite loud compared to how quiet the engine was. Strange thing is it doesn't start knocking till it's warmed up. I can also shut the engine off warm, restart it and after about 30 seconds the knock/loud tick will start again.

Stopped by the dealership today but the service manager had already gone. Will try and get into see him tomorrow bwfore he leaves.

Has anyone else experienced this?

The engine was so quiet but it is now very annoying as this knock is very noticeable.

Jack
What was the build date of your truck?

#25 ·
I believe April 21. The service manager has looked into it and told me of a couple things. First there could be a main bearing knock which was heard on the 6.4's. Second and which is what I'm hearing is the HPP that is apparently switching between economy mode and another mode.

This only heard when it's up to operating temperature and is very pronounced. When it first start it once warm it will not be heard, but I'm assuming after it idles for about 30 seconds it starts going into these different modes and it will start knocking.

They tell me to keep driving it and will let me know when there's a fix (hopefully just a reflash). It in no way affects the power.

I'm loving the truck and the I told you so's don't bother me a bit :ford: :ford: Best wheels on the road ;)

#28 ·
There was an article ford posted about this around launch time of this truck. I can't remember what it said it was but said that it wasn't intended, but it didn't damage the truck in anyway, just make an annoying ticking sound.

#32 ·
The noise is from the HPP when it enters VCV mode, it only happens when the fuel temp is above 113F (I think that is the number, not for sure). This was done to save fuel at idle using the VCV in the pump to control the rail pressure instead of using the PCV on the fuel rail. This noise isn't supposed to hurt anything, and Bosch (the maker of the HPP) considers it a normal noise, even after listening to recordings I had of one that you could hear from 50ft or more. We experimented in the shop with a FSE on a truck with this issue and backing off the VCV duty cycle 4-5% made the noise go away. The last I heard was they where going to work on a new calibration for this issue, but I haven't heard anything recent.

#37 ·
Some of them are alot louder than others, or it really wouldn't be an issue. Some you can barely hear, the one I had the engineer looking at you could hear 50+ft away over all the other noise in a pretty busy shop. Those are the ones that are a problem, and if it was my $60k truck I wouldn't like it either.

#46 ·
Well first off like everyone says dont buy the first year of ANYTHING! also its covered under warranty so why worry? Ford will make it right.:ford:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.