Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Had balljoints done, they didn't install all of the shims

1K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  JohnT 
#1 ·
Hey guys I had my ball joints done and not all of my shims that go on the axle went back on!!! Said that it was to tight of a fit and that the snap ring wouldn't engage its seat with all of the shims in place. Does this affect anything??

thanks,
Luke

#2 ·
I would say they did it wrong.If it was on there originally then it should go back on.Your axle shaft will walk a little bit back and forth when in 4wd but thats about it.Might wreck the dust seal but those always crack and fall apart anyway.when the axle shaft moves it might make your seal for the hub slide out and not seal properly.If it des then you won't have vacuum so your auto hubs won't work.thats about the worst that will happen.

#7 ·
It affects where the axleshaft bearing rides on the shaft and the depth that the axleshaft engages the lockout hub, among other things.

I'd be taking it back, and getting it fixed right, there is no excuse why it shouldn't be put together correctly. With the seal fully seated, I usually have to push the axleshaft back out slightly to seat the snap ring, but it requires very little force.

Dave

#8 ·
Like said above, take it back, tell them they have to drive the axle seal on to the correct depth.

A $70 for a tool so the shop can do it correctly, hell they can even go cheaper than that. A stop to the local Home Depot or Lowes and you can build it for $10.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.