Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

how to tell injectors?

2K views 24 replies 10 participants last post by  southmike 
#1 ·
i bought my truck a few months ago from a guy that had done some aftermarket/performance stuff to it... now keep in mind im a newbie but i do a little bit of studying on these trucks. what my question is, my truck is a late 99, is there any way other than popping the valve covers to see if i have stock injectors or if he had something bigger put in? my reason for asking is im using the superchips cortex tuner that the dealer threw in with the truck. some tunes absolutely dont get along with the truck. right now im on the mileage tune, if i start the truck below 30degrees outside, it pours white smoke and lopes like some of the lope tunes ive seen on here. on a normal day, the damn thing can fill the 4 way stop in my town from one end to the other with black smoke... personally id prefer it didnt, but my fix for that right now is a light foot. we decided to put the tuner on a friends totally stock late 99, absolutely idenctical to mine except longbed. his truck runs just fine on all the tunes, and doesnt smoke too awful bad at all and starts just fine. i want to find out if i have aftermarket injectors before i tear something up by not running a tune written for them. if i have to pop a valve cover i will, great excuse to do a ccv mod anyway.

#2 ·
There is no way to tell cause all aftermarket injectors use stock outer parts. Only way that might show a hint is if they are something diffrent then ad codes. Your best bet would be to send one to a injector builder and have hime check it out.

#3 ·
i can do that, who can i send it to?

#4 ·
Nate at unlimited would be my first choice. Nate had to look at mine and helped me big time.
Next would be rosewood. talk to Jim

The problem is until you know what those injectors are a tuner wont burn you a chip.

#5 ·
What kind of injector they are and Flow rates would matter more to me
Then who built them. (Which is what your saying, but thought it should be spelled out just in case) Any vendor can flow test them or have them tested , replace any bad orings etc..
Nate,bean,di rosewood swamps etc...all depends on who your closest to and how much inj service or sales they do.

#6 ·
it almost sounds like it would be easier in the long run to just buy a new set to my liking, that way i can just have these sent out and rebuilt or whatever and keep them on the shelf, downtime is kindof important. will these shops you guys are talking about check and rebuild an injector put together by someone else?

#7 ·
it would be easier and cheaper to just pull the injectors you have now and have them sent out and flowed and gone through then buying new ones that are of your liking, be cheaper since you will be keeping yours and you will have to pay a core charge for the new ones.

also it would be better off to get rid of the cortex and buy a chip that is burnt for the injectors you have, once you find out what they are.

#8 ·
Yes they would. Have you seen how much 7.3 injectors go for? Plus new sets need cores. Where are you located? I know alot of these guys can check them in a day and send them back.

#12 ·
Send them to nate at unlimited and you will have them back in less then a week.

#11 ·
Get rid of the programmer whatever you do. Get the inj issue solved then get custom tunes from one of the vendors on here and you'll be happy. Get some guages first thing. trans temp, boost & egt would be the minimum. Good luck.

#13 ·
have you tried running the truck without the programmer? i would think that big injectors would not like the factory tune at all. that would be a good indicator. beyond that.. send your sticks to a vendor like everyone else has said. do a little research and find a good builder/tuner and let them go over your injectors and tune you a chip. :ford:

#14 ·
Depending on the type of injector and nozzle, 250cc+ injectors can run very well on a stock tune, I know mine did with the 275's I had last year.

Dave

#15 ·
it does run fine with the tuner set back to stock, except more smoke than most stock 7.3's and a funny start lope when its cold. i get a p1211 code if i really get on it. ive got trans temp, pyro, and boost on the a-pillar, i wouldnt have a diesel without them now that ive got them, im trying to talk my dad into putting a set in his 97 2wd psd. ill give nate a call and see if theyre busy, if he can get them back pretty quick i might just have him go through all of them and ill put them back in, if they turn out to be stock, i can still run dp tunes for more power correct?

#16 ·
More then likely it has bigger injectors in it cause usally superchips dont throw to much smoke. It might have a program in the pcm already though and your running 2 tunes. Even if they are aftermarket you can still run dp tunes. Just have to make sure they are for your injectors. How fast are your egts climbing and whats your boost at?

#17 ·
You can't run 2 tunes, a chip will override the tunes.

You can have a tuner live tune your truck just fine. It will cast you a chip from them, it will be more expensive, but in the end, you will love it.

#21 ·
good to know i cant run two at once, from what i read, stacking isnt good... with the superchips set on the perf. tune it used to sneak up on 35psi right before red-line, so with the advice from some really helpful folks on here i cranked the wastegate rod down to where i only get about 25-27 right now.

on the stock turbo, at a max of about 18-20psi, i was seeing 1200degrees cold side, now at 27psi max i rarely see anything over 1050-1100 (not towing)

im definitely thinking the cortex is going to be ebay material. this truck only has 180k and is in beautiful shape for a 99, i probably couldnt live with myself if i tore it up over something dumb like a bad tune. oh and for future reference, the transmission part of the superchips tunes suck... ive got an ats torque converter and a brians valve body, the shifts feel like a freight train pulling coupler slack...

#23 ·
If your hitting 35 on a cortex tuner then it has some injectors. I was hitting 32psi or so with my 38R stage IIs and custom tunes.

#24 ·
A chip with the tunes for a vb and of course the vb, will smooth the shifts out.
No more feeling like a honda rear ended you.also the power will be better, it will feel like the diff between the super chips and stock almost.

#25 ·
Er....the diff between the super chips and stock added to the super chips that is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.