Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Train Wreck pics

18K views 100 replies 36 participants last post by  powerstrokemike 
#1 ·
so this is the train tracks that go through my property and of course all the damage is right in the middle of my property so still awaiting a meeting to see what i get for compensation for letting them tear up my property and my roads and tearing down alot of my pines luckly it wasnt to close to my house! Enjoy

See less See more
#21 ·
Here's what happens when a bridge fails.

Having a train of NASA rocket motors.......................... ensures that you get national media coverage that you really don't want. :(

Attachments

#6 ·
If I had a RR that ran through the yard, I'd be hurting for money. Trains are so cool, I'd sit there and watch everyday. LOL

Hey, at least you didn't have to do, or pay for the cleanup :D

#97 ·
This has been very informative thanks guys.

But I think you missed the real cause if you look at the one pic you can see clearly that someone ran it to the pilings with a boat! LOL!!!

#37 ·
I see 'em on this site everyday! LOL

How long did it take 'em to clean it up? I'm figuring they got in and out pretty quick, at least the bulk of it.

#11 ·
Dang, thats crazy! So do they pay you to have the tracks run through your property?

#12 ·
I guess that your property is in Ideal, Georgia, right? I live in Fitzgerald, Georgia and work for CSX Railroad. I ride trains on that same rail almost every day. I recognized the carnage from your pics. The cause of the derailment was that the rails spread too wide and the railcars actually fell in between. I'm very surprised that the engines didn't derail too. I was on a train that derailed four autoracks filled with brand new Nissans just north of Manchester, Georgia about two years ago. What a mess! CSX is self-insured and all the autos are shredded for salvage. They will not even sell a tire off of the autos. They don't want to be held liable later on down the road. Anyway you WILL be getting a very nice chunk of money for all the damage and mess on your property. Good luck!

#20 ·
The cause of the derailment was that the rails spread too wide and the railcars actually fell in between.
From the photo's, it looks like that stretch had concrete ties. Unless there was a stretch of wood ties where it actually derailed............it's not real likely that wide gage was the cause.

Without knowing any info, my first thought (given the time of year and concrete ties) on the cause...............would be a track buckle due to warm weather.

Anyway you WILL be getting a very nice chunk of money for all the damage and mess on your property. Good luck!
If they used his property to gain access to the derailment site, I'm surprised they didn't ask permission (with at least a verbal agreement to pay damages/access rights) ahead of time.

That's what I always do.

#23 ·

Attachments

#24 ·
Since the attachment limit is only 5...............here's a few more.

That's enough for now..........I need to recover from the memories. :(

Attachments

#25 ·
The official reason for the derailment was that the rails spread too wide. The distance between the inside of the ball(top) of the rail is 4 feet 8 inches plus or minus 1/2 inch. Yes concrete ties were being used but the rails spread anyway. I know the engineer that was operating the train very well. As the engines were going across this particular piece of track the crew (engineer and conductor) noticed it was very rough and backed off on the throttle and was calling the dispatcher on the radio to inform him when the train went into emergency due to derailment. The train originated from Waycross, GA. and was heading to Manchester, GA. with this crew and then to Birmingham, AL. with a new crew. I am not guessing or assuming any of this it is all fact. I am a conductor myself and it's my job to know this info as well as all track conditions and info from Jacksonvile, FL. to Atlanta, GA. and everywhere in between.

#26 ·
I didn't mean to come across as questioning your veracity, as to what you were told was the cause. Sorry if you were offended.

It's just that I've been doing this for 34 years and all too often the "official" cause.........isn't the real cause. :shrug:

For the record, standard gage is 4' 8 1/2" (56 1/2"). You are allowed 1/2" less (56") and up to 1 1/2" wider (58") depending on class of track..........which is based on track speed.

The comment by the crew, that the track was "very rough" ...........just reinforces my opinion that the primary cause probably wasn't wide gage.

It's very difficult to "feel" wide gage from the loco.

If the track buckled (misalignment) under/just ahead of the train, then the crew would definitely feel that. They would also feel any surface anomalies (one rail higher than the other).

Either of these conditions can cause the lateral force of the wheels to roll (tip) the rail and cause the wheels to fall in. The aftermath would show that the wheels fell inside inside the gage but, the primary cause isn't wide gage. :shrug:

It's just very rare for a concrete tie section to develop wide gage, unless it is in a very sharp curve (which by the pic's, it wasn't).

Derailment investigation is a complex science that oftentimes requires equal parts; Investigation, measurements and intuition.......... based on experience.

Anyway, it's good to have another railroader around.

It's a tough business but, there are some damn fine people doing it.

Regards,

Rick

#27 ·
I wasn't offended by your statements Rick. I am very sure you know a hell of alot more about railroading than I do if you have 34 years experience. Are you a locomotive engineer or do you work with the engineering department? By your knowledge I would guess engineering department or maybe even a private contractor. I also really agree as to the "official" reason being the real truth. I tell my friends that the railroad treats us like mushrooms, they feed us crap and keep us in the dark. We as employees are told the same story as the media. All I know is since the derailment there are countless 25 mph temporary speed restrictions from Fitzgerald to Manchester where new track and ties are being replaced. I think somebody really high up in management got their ass chewed and you know it all runs down hill. Anyway take care and be safe out there!!
Norm

#28 ·
I wasn't offended by your statements Rick. I am very sure you know a hell of alot more about railroading than I do if you have 34 years experience. Are you a locomotive engineer or do you work with the engineering department? By your knowledge I would guess engineering department or maybe even a private contractor. I also really agree as to the "official" reason being the real truth. I tell my friends that the railroad treats us like mushrooms, they feed us crap and keep us in the dark. We as employees are told the same story as the media.
Good guess Norm.

I'm on the Engineering side.

Started out as a track laborer in 1976.................and have held just about every position along the way.

Tamper/regulator/liner/brushcutter/tie inserter/tie crane/Jordan spreader (etc., etc.) operator, Section Foreman, Extra Gang Foreman (ties/rail/surfacing/construction), Work Train Supervisor, Track Inspector, Assistant Roadmaster, District Roadmaster, General Roadmaster, Superintendent of Maintenance, Director-Way and Structure Projects and Vice President - Engineering.

Unlike a lot of guys who get their college degree, spend 6 months on a few different gangs and then are made a Roadmaster.........I did it the old fashioned way.

I screwed up and.......... they promoted me. :eek:

Just kidding. :D Not that I haven't screwed up because, trust me.........I had plenty of opportunities to 'gain experience.' :(

All I know is since the derailment there are countless 25 mph temporary speed restrictions from Fitzgerald to Manchester where new track and ties are being replaced. I think somebody really high up in management got their ass chewed and you know it all runs down hill.
Sounds about right. :D

Anyway take care and be safe out there!!
Norm
You too.

Here we go. :ford:

#30 ·
Well Rick you sure did learn your trade the old fashioned way. We all screw up from time to time. With the railroad we are just lucky if our screwup didn't get us killed. If we learn from our mistakes then it wasn't all a big waste. I know what you mean by college degree trainmasters. I'm not putting them down it's just that management throws them out there and demands WAY too much out of them. Everybody has to learn there job and EARN respect. If they come out here all pumped up and start harrassing us then he won't last long because we can make him or brake him and I know that you understand what I am saying. I am sure you know Randy Dixon right? He is the best trainmaster that I have met so far. He is also the smartest and fairest. I wish he was still in charge of the Fitzgerald Subdivision! Anyway I believe we all can survive if we look out for each other. Take care Brother!
Norm

#32 ·
Wow that is crazy. So how many flat pennies do you have from setting them on the tracks???

#40 ·
I am relaxed Rick. If I was mad I wouldn't be on here. We don't use that type of OTE in this area and I am not familiar with it. For our purposes OTE must operate at a speed that permits stopping with in half the range of vision.

#41 ·
I'm guessing you've never seen something like this then either (1st pic). The mainline is between the two sets of equipment and was actually cleaned just a couple of hours previously. :eek:

We also used ballast regulators, outfitted with special snow plows/wings when possible (2nd & 3rd pic).

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.