Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Like Father............Like Son

959 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Greg373 
#1 ·
A little bit crazy. :D

I just talked to my middle son (27) and he is just coming up to the Canadian border.

He flew down to Seattle, picked up a new car (a lot cheaper there) and his headed back to Anchorage (+-2,400 miles).

He has to be back at work Tuesday morning. :doh:

The good news is that he's made the trip 3 times already (twice while he was in the Navy) so, he is at least pretty familiar with negotiating through Canada and up the ALCAN highway.

That doesn't, of course, mean Dad still won't worry. :(

#2 ·
Besty of luck to him! Alcan is one LOOONG AZZ roed!

#3 ·
Besty of luck to him!
Thanx.

Alcan is one LOOONG AZZ roed!
You're absolutely right.

Especially when you think about the fact that so much of it is a two lane, undivided highway.

It is however, in a lot better shape than my first trip up it..........which was in January of 1968.

We were in Ft. Walton Beach Florida (Eglin), went to Ft. Collins for Christmas and then headed up the Alcan.

It took us 14 days.................just from Ft. Collins! :eek:

The extreme cold (-63 @ Beaver Creek), hours of never seeing another car, no good new comic books along the way (they got older the further north we went) and the complete boredom.............was almost unbearable for this 12 year old. :(

#4 ·
man I would love to make that trip once in my life just to take in the views and say I did it lol.I hope he has a good and safe trip.

#6 ·
I bet its like a different world over there than what it is here.
It is.

If you ever get the chance to go up there, take it.

Im sure he will be fine. But its still hard not to worry.
Yeah, he's actually very well traveled.

4 years in the Navy (lots of port of calls), a round-trip to Anchorage from Norfolk, VA. and driving up from Tallahassee after graduating last year........means he has a lot of miles behind the wheel.

#7 ·
I've made some of that drive but not all of it. My wife and I made a banzai run up to Whitehorse and back in 5 days, pulling a gooseneck horse trailer, during the first week of March ('09), in snow and below freezing almost 80% of the time. We had the truck in 4WD in the middle of Seattle (I-5) on the way back through. Miserable conditions but we love that kind of adventure. Having relatives along the way helps too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.