Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

SeaFoam through the brakeBooster?

8K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  Arisley 
#1 ·
Looking over U tube a bit tonight, and I remembed talking to few hot rodders last weekend at a rod run. They talked about SeaFoam, and how good it works, to clean out the injection and upper top half of the motors. I would never use the product in my oil, but I was wondering about the diesel tank as well as the break booster hose.

1. Would a diesel benefit from this same treatment? as a gasser?

What are your thoughts?
Has anyone done the brake booster suction method?

Here is the U-tube video--> funny thing... maybe this already answered my questions, did a search for seafoam in diesels and not on video showed up.

Thanks

#5 ·
In our oil change shop's we use a fuel injection cleaning system and we always use a vacume line that is central as possible to the center of the intake, must be behind the throttle body also. Many times the Brake booster line is th e best one with the best pulse signal. Our product is KILLER which is why I've done several hundred personally and every single customer LOVED the results. We have a special throttle body cleaner also that issafe on even Fords special coatings. BEWARE on a damn Nissan though.

#6 ·
I don't think direct injection diesel intake systems would benefit from something like Seafoam, because the air and fuel aren't mixed until they're inside the combustion chamber. So there's nothing really for it to clean.

In any event, it obviously wouldn't work through the brake booster. On a gasser, the vacuum is real engine vacuum, generated by the intake stroke, meaning when you pour a liquid into that line, it gets pulled into the intake manifold and burned. Our engines don't produce vacuum; the vacuum that "powers" the brake booster and operates our cold-war-era HVAC controls is "faked", created by the belt-driven vacuum pump. If you put Seafoam into the brake booster hose, not only would it never reach the air intake, you would probably destroy the vacuum pump.

If it weren't for the byzantine HVAC controls, our trucks could have hydraboost (hydraulic, via the power steering pump) power brake boost, and thus wouldn't have any form of vacuum at all.

#10 ·
Don't ask me how I know this. Seafoam is also available in an aerosol called Deep Creep. When sprayed into the intake of a diesel it may cause a run away condition (uncontrolled acceleration):doh:.

I love SeaFoam and have used it for years on my gas and diesel engines. On diesels I either fill the fuel filter or add it to the fuel tank. I don't add it to my oil on any of my vehicles out of concern for seals etc. I have no proof that it will damage anything but don't want to take any chances.

#12 ·
Runaway sucks. I saw a Detroit 8V go into runaway once. Instructor sacrificed his shirt to save the motor and the building. I was almost to the door by the time it shut down

#13 ·
It sucks just as bad when it is a 2002 VW Golf TDI screaming along at 4000 RPMs. Fortunaetly I didn't continue to spray Deep Creep to see how high it would go. It did clean up some of my intake carbon but then blew it through the engine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.