How do you know if your carrier bearing is wearing out? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Home Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum > Super Duty 1999-Current > 7.3L Power Stroke Technical Info
Register Members List Timeslips Calendar Auto Loans Sponsors Becoming a Sponsor Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PowerStrokeNation.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08-05-2007, 05:29 PM
sandnut
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

How do you know if your carrier bearing is wearing out?

Title pretty much says it all. Does it typically wear out slowly & is there a way to test it to see if it's good or bad?

Southern Nevada PowerStrokes
Reply With Quote Go to the top
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2007, 05:47 PM
CATdiezel
Body Type: MULE
Member's Gallery

Re: How do you know if your carrier bearing is wearing out?

The only real way to know is to drop the carrier down and spin it around your self and closely check it for play in the bearing itself and not the rubber junk around it.

I have found more than not that the rubber gets old and gets alot of slop in it before the bearing ever thinks about going out.

your #1 NON-Cult member of the USA Government JustinM.
Old 08-12-2007, 05:23 PM
Diezel Dawg
I make no power
Member's Gallery

there are times when you have a vibration in your driveline, and it very well coould be your carrier bearing if you dont have any play in your u-joints. The carrier bearing is pretty durable, they dont go out as often as u-joints. We have had a few carrier bearings go out in some of our trucks at work here in the Air Force, and they are a PITA to replace
Old 08-12-2007, 06:00 PM
THEDIESELMAN
Corona Killa
Member's Gallery

get under your truck and push it up and down and see if you have any play but like what was said before the rubber will wear out before the bearing will.
Old 08-15-2007, 03:54 AM
slowleak
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Send a message via AIM to slowleak

it sucks when your rubber breaks.....
Old 08-15-2007, 04:44 AM
THEDIESELMAN
Corona Killa
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowleak View Post
it sucks when your rubber breaks.....
When you have a full load.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:30 AM
freddyfast9
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandnut View Post
Title pretty much says it all. Does it typically wear out slowly & is there a way to test it to see if it's good or bad?
You will get vibration when slowing down with you foot off the pedal or coasting if the carrier bearing is going bad, while accelerating it won't vibrate since there is a load on it. I had mine go bad on me and I asked the service manager a million questions about how and why and it killed some time on our test ride. I had quite a bit of play in mine too and he said that they all have a little play in them after using the truck and it's hard to tell that way but the vibration never lies. I solved the problem by switching to a one piece driveshaft and never looked back.
Old 08-02-2008, 03:33 AM
wrs916
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

I am having this very problem as I type this.

01 PSD 4X4 CC w/119,000 miles.

It's been lifted 6.5" since the dealer had 4 Wheel Parts install it back at around 35,000 miles. The driveline is shimmed properly. I pulled the rubber around the carrier bearing and it did not seem to be tore up per se. There is some play at the carrier bearing location. Not a ton but definately noticable. I get the heaviest vibration upon takeoff between 5 and 25mph and then after that it seems to smooth itself out until I stomp on it around 65mph it will make some higher pitched whining noise. Any thoughts?
Old 08-03-2008, 01:09 PM
ditch_dawg
Genius, when I drink
Member's Gallery

If my truck was lifted I would seriously consider getting a single piece driveshaft from Jesse at High Angle Driveline. As long as you don't have a crew cab long bed he can make on for you.

I had one go bad in my truck.....stock no lift. Ford had an updated on them and replaced it for free. Might want to check into that. I didn't have any vibration just a chirping noise at low speed.

Truck Pics

"Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfer View Post
blip the throttle, and you just changed your "HPOP" oil

put that on youtube

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 172
$and$hark, 00f250, 01Danny, 027.3, 03f250fx4, 04 f350, 04fatboy, 289cobra, 7.3 King Ranch, 94strokeher, 99lariatsd, ackdog, AGV2006PSD, Alan Hicks, Alpine6, Arisley, badluck_early99, bazdog1, Bdickey, Beewoody, bfdiesel, bigjas, billc, Blacksmoke7.3, Blowby, Boomer5, Bushwakd, CATdiezel, Cornraker, crack_7.3, dblaked, dblamp, Deerezilla, Deputydog, Derek2001, DHTD, Dieselgeek, diesel_84, Diezel Dawg, displacedtexan, ditch_dawg, DNTTRY, DSALF250, ELKHUNTER, emtff7959, F-DuceFifty, Fast_Ashley, Firehunter, fishinfool98, Ford_Forgotton, freddyfast9, fxdwgi, glovemeister, gpeyton, greenbeast, grimF350, gtndrty, Harley Strokin', Haul_n_horses2, hawkeye, highboost, humbucker311, indyF-350psd, J-ROCK, jacob.mowrer, jakef250, JayZ, Ja_cain, JCBargholz, Jerrybizzle, JHill, jinco, Jingoist, Jngreen, joediesle, Joedog, jtharvey, ju015dd, JuststrokeIT, kainers, Kanman, kb1, Kickin Y2K, kickstand, Krisco, lincolnlocker, loc712, LongGun_LeRoy, LOOSEWHEEL, maddogmcd, Marty, Miffsudd, Mooseposse, Mr. Elite, MrBill1, mudracer, Muley, NjCj, NWSUPRD, OlBigRed7.3, ole_blu, opieg01, orthopod, PAbowhunter, Peter66, Pipewhiner, pitbull62, pje, powerstroke1979, powerstrokin247, PowerStrokingMachine, preith, prox445, psd kid, psdexcursion, PSDfan99, PsRumors, radio flyer, RallyGTI, recon250, RedHorseFarm, Ripsaw, rob10970, Rogue1970, Rustler, ryandamo, sandnut, sandpic, satchley, SD01WD, Shep, silverslug, sirnunya, Six Liter, slowleak, sly10, Smokin_KingRanch, smorris, Snowman269, snowman600, Soaggydogg, Stites02psd, strokin_early_99, sttstroke, SWVa, tch.280, Tedzz, Testiclease, theBAT, thedieselkid, THEDIESELMAN, theGreenHornet, Tom S, TomzToyz2, Torque37, TurboDiezel, TxFire, txpsdcrwchf, WarrenF250, Willy, woodtrucker, workstroke, wrs916, X-MAN, XTrmXJ, Zane-03 King Ranch