Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

i've got problems and need some advice

2K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  eleventhtruck 
#1 ·
my truck has a death wabble going down the road and it's very intermittent.I can feel what seems to be a catch in the wheel from a stop at a hard turn,after i take back off it starts the wobble,and i have to fight it to keep it between the ditches.I put a new PSP on it bout 2 weeks ago it seemed fine till yesterday when it did it worse than it had before.Any info would be greatly appreciated.:confused:

#2 ·
I had a 78 jeep that surprised me one day and near broke my fingers trying to pull me into the ditch. It was a front, outer universal that was seizing. Even though my hubs were unlocked and my xfer case was in two high, the joint was somehow rolling around to a stuck position. I'm not 100 % it's your problem but thought this might help.

#5 ·
ball joints are just over a year old,tire rods are good,axle joints are good,thats whats got me stumped.I've asked around been told it could be the gear box but i dont see it being intermitent if it's the gear box.

#6 ·
oh and the hub assemblies are tight just put a new driver side assembly on 6months or so ago and the passenger side is tight

#9 ·
I had the same problem, the truck would be driving fine then while turning the steering would catch and "pop" then the wobble was so bad I could barely control it. If I put it in reverse and turned the wheels from side to side I could make the truck come out of it and drive fine again. Ended up being one of the universal joints was seized, I replaced them both ($500.00 each at the dealer) and am back to normal now.

I had them check all of the bushings and alignment while it was being serviced and everything else looked OK, my truck has 49k on it. Good Luck

#10 ·
Mine did some funky steering when the u-joints seized. A simple test for the u-joint getting stiff or seizing is raise the wheels off the ground, turn the wheels to full lock, lock the hubs, and spin the tire. You will know if they bind that they are toast.

#11 ·
the steering stabilizer is just bout a year old,and the track bar bushings are good.I'll check my u-joints again.

#14 ·
well guys i found the problem,don't know how i missed it looked and looked but still somehow it slipped by me.It was the track bar it took three differant times looking but findly saw it moving

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.