Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Hard Steering

6K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  doubledoor 
#1 ·
Okay guys what causes hard steering when truck is at a stand still ?

I have to give throttle for it to work or wait til truck moves to have power stering.

I notice my 450 does it but not as bad .....it does every so often but still able to turn steering. My 250 does almost all the time its hard for my wife to drive especially in tight places.

Could it be the pump going bad?

Thanks

#4 ·
mine does the exact same thing, i got use to it but my wife has a hard time. my ball joints are new and always greased well. im thinking a weak pump also. i suggest a oem pump, my expereance with aftermarket pumps are not that good. and use the correct fluid.

#5 ·
Well i have new ball joints and a new pump all in the last 5k miles and mine still does that...

#7 ·
When was the last time you actually replaced the fluid in the pump? Try that first. The cheapest and usually will make a noticeable dif. FD pump are hit and miss. Many new have hard steering when stopped. If you do decide to replace the pump try a Redhead Gear pump. I have heard nothing but good about their replacement pumps.

#9 ·
Book says tranny fluid. I use Schaeffers synthetic. I would use Mobile 1 synthetic ATF as you will find that easy.

Here is how to do it : DIY Power Steering Flush

#11 ·
Its Mobil One ATF NOT Mobil One Motor Oil. The reason for using Mobil Ones ATF over some other generic is its a full PAO synthetic fluid. It will be cooler lube better and handle heat without degrading.

Again Mobil One Automatic Transmission Fluid. The same stuff you would put in your transmission.

#13 ·
Mine does it too, i thought it was just because of the wide tires.

#14 ·
While you may in fact have a hydraulic pressure or valving issue, I would advise never turning the steering while not rolling. Even with everything functioning perfectly every component in your front end will encounter substantially higher forces resulting in reduced lifespan, including the tires. I have made it force of habit, for many years to pre plan parking and and positioning maneuvers so that I complete turning the wheel before the truck comes to a stop, and won't turn the wheel again until the truck begins motion again.

#16 ·
I always do this too, just figured if it was harder to turn at a stop it probably wasnt good for something. So i always make my turns while moving too.

#15 ·
Just about every powerstroke I have ever driven has been like this, I thought it was just how the trucks were and a bad flaw on fords part

#17 ·
After changing everything on mine and still not fixing it. It turned out to be the pump. But it took two from ford before the problem was fixed. If it has hard steering it is most likely your pump.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.