Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

injector o-ring pics- how bad?

6K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Phiber Optik 
#1 ·
In my process to find my idle knock I replaced the o-rings. The first 3 pics are the #2 injector.

2010_0521Jan-Feb20100048 pictures from trucks photos on webshots

2010_0521Jan-Feb20100049 pictures from trucks photos on webshots

2010_0521Jan-Feb20100050 pictures from trucks photos on webshots

The next 3 shots are from #4 injector.

2010_0521Jan-Feb20100051 pictures from trucks photos on webshots

2010_0521Jan-Feb20100052 pictures from trucks photos on webshots

2010_0521Jan-Feb20100053 pictures from trucks photos on webshots

The other o-rings looked OK. What do you make of these? How bad are they? These o-rings are original 9/2001 and have 86,500 miles on them.

#2 ·
Nice! I'd say those were definitely ready to be changed. When I pulled my original AB's like 2 years ago, they looked similar to that on a few of the injectors.

#3 ·
Change all of the o-rings on all of the injectors. Don't just do two. Also look for signs of cracked injector cups while you have it apart.

#6 ·
I already changed them all about 4 weeks ago. These pictures are from a month ago. It now has 8 new sets of Alliant o-rings. I am just curious if these are what bad o-rings typically look like, or if they are not that bad? Were these things going to start causing bigger problems soon? I am a little suprised that they looked like that with only 86k miles. So, how often do they need to get done? I have 700 miles on them now I do not seem to be using oil and there is no fuel in the coolant.

#7 ·
I am just curious if these are what bad o-rings typically look like, or if they are not that bad?
Yep, they were bad. That's exactly what bad injector o-rings look like.

Were these things going to start causing bigger problems soon?
I'm surprised you didn't already have problems such as excessive oil usage or hard starts in the morning from HPOP oil leakdown.

I am a little suprised that they looked like that with only 86k miles. So, how often do they need to get done?
It's kind of a crap shoot. Some people change them early, some don't touch them for 200K miles. Your injectors may have been installed on a Friday ;) LOL

#9 ·
I am afraid to answer that. My truck sounds beautiful right now. I have 700 miles on it since the o-rings. I want to get a few more on there before I start jumping up and down.

#10 · (Edited)
Hey webshots makes it easy to post pictures in the thread instead of links. Use the link to this picture area on the lower right and select 600. It make a really nice sized large thumbnail for forum posting. Use the one that says post in forum. This is from your pictures.

#11 ·
Thanks Tom. I am at work now and they block webshots for some reason. So, I will check into that later. The links are a pita and I wasn't sure how to get thumbnails. I should be able to get them into thumbnails later.

#12 ·
Tom, I saw the 600 and now do I link to a forum? What do I actually put in that box and also where do you click "ok" or enter. I put http of the original post in there, but I do not know where to accept or enter or hit ok. Thanks. Next time I may just use the manage attachments in the post and pull it right off of my hard drive. Thanks.

#13 ·
That will generate a link. Simply paste that link right into the post. Use the one that says post in forum.

#14 ·
I wonder if some of the oring damage is caused by the oring sticking to the head/injector cup and then removing the injector tears the oring?

I pulled out my stockers and I found some damaged orings but I had no driveability problems before...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.