Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

have an 08 6.4 with 80k should i sell it and get a cummins for auto transport?

3K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  Mpoage 
#1 ·
i have an 08 6.4 powerstroke it is running great right now just changed all the fluids etc. I don't no the history of it but seems to be maintained well.

I was searching the forum and have seen issues or puking and head gasket failure along with egr coolers bursting

my biggest concern is being reliable and towing. ( will be towing a 3 car trailer every day w/ car obviously)

if I keep the truck I was going to get a dpf delete kit along with a tuner just to keep the truck running right with no dpf. Not planning on adding power(want to stay reliable)

on the other hand I could sell this truck and get a nice 3500 cummins with a 6 spd?

really torn on what to do!

#5 ·
the above is correct.......run the 210 tow tune at most and you should be fine

be sure to watch backpressure and other relevant temps i.e. egts

either way you go you COULD run into issues with the Dodge or Ford...........no way to really tell.

Id keep the Ford

#8 ·
on the other hand I could sell this truck and get a nice 3500 cummins with a 6 spd?

have you checked out the cummins boards? All i have to say is stay with the Ford, sure they have some lemons and the odd thing may go wrong but after reading the cummins boards i'm more and more happy with my ford every day!
i always check out the duramax and cummins boards just to see what the other camps are doing :evil

#14 ·
Damnit, you got me looking at them now! I probably could have gotten one for what I got my F150 for. :doh:

I love my Ford, but my first new truck was a single cab short bed Ram 1500 4x4 with the 4.7 V8. I loved that truck so much and have such fond memories of it. I wish I never had to get rid of it. :(

#13 ·
I hauled autos for two years with my current rig, (03 Dually 7.3L) I saw my share of 350s and Dodges hauling too, I think I saw more Dodges broke down then Fords when I did. (Really didn't see many Silverados/Sierras) hauling 3 car wedges though?
If they were on my side of the road, I ALWAYS tried to stop and offer assistance,,, couple times I got the guy running again in their Ford, Both times it was the dreaded fuse #30 and fuel bowl heater! They were extremely grateful! (never had one on the side with a CPS failure,, though people claim those go out all the time, I have never had one fail in my 300k miles of owning a 7.3L!)

#17 ·
to be 100% honest no bs i have to real good friends with cummins one is a 07 ccsb 4x4 with at most 40k on it and has had all kind of problems mostly trans 3 times rebuilt i believe power sterring has gave him all kinds of headaches went went to the river this memorial day he actually went to jail for drinking and driving his 4wheeler on a dirt road :doh: i was gunna drive his truck to go bail him out not to waste my diesel lol his truck fired up died had to tow him bak with the 6.0 lift pump went out my other buddys 04 has done ok but has had the exact same problems lift pump ,power steering, and trans so im not real impressed go with the 6.4:ford:

#18 ·
IMHO i think the actual cummins motor is a great motor, its just the truck that dodge puts around the cummins motor it crappy. Im from a very rural area of TN, and a majority of the trucks around here are 3/4-1 ton trucks, because that is what most people need/use, but like was said earlier alot of people have problems with the transmissions and PS and things of the such, i seen a couple of '07 dodges with the frames bent from towing with stock power. And i knew the owners personally and they never beat on the truck or took it off road, just not too strong of a frame or a freak coincidence. I just think they are not well built trucks.

#19 ·
:whs: my buddy is about to sell his and get a 6.4 hes had nothing but problems my truck beats his 07 with smarty o to 100 anyway and our other friend just got a 6.4 with the 310 and blew his doors off i was riden with him looked over and said ya should have got a ford he said i am that just made my mind up

G
#20 ·
If you buy a truck no matter what brand it is and you have no problems with it consider yourself lucky. The only problem I see with the 6.4 is mpg. Other than that, if you rid it of dpf and tune it you should be fine. Hell I have a 6.0 tuned and nothing deleted and it pulls hard and doesn't give me much trouble. Knock on wood.. LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.