Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Here comes the MODzzz

3K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  Lohe 
#1 ·
Placed and order with Riff Raff today....

Got a MBRP exhaust, went with a S&B intake ( over a Tymar I like having a more sealed off system) 08+ SD rear diff cover w/ drain, a DP tuner with 60tow, 80 econo, A set of gauges, A John Wood valve body ( I went with his recommendations hope it is good.)

Did I miss anything :D

Oh ya ordered a 6.0L Trans-cooler off ebay what else will I need to hook it up?

#2 ·
You should have a perma-grin for a while after installing all of that.

Dont forget the most important part... GAUGES!

I watch mine constantly.

#6 ·
Factory suspension has about 1/2 of travel before you are into the front bump stops. Spring rates are too soft, Ford tried to make the X into a grocery getter and screwed the pooch.
If your truck has a rear sway bar it is 3/4", entirely too small for a vehicle of an X's mass.
In corners you can ruin your day when getting on and off of the throttle as the X has an ugly moment of transition from under to over steer.
16" pizza cutter rims and tires are not the best for a vehicle of the X's mass.

Listen to obswiz, he will not steer you wrong.

#8 ·
Cary is the man when it comes to the suspension on the Xs.

#9 ·
:whs:

#10 ·
Try towing something with a bit of tongue weight and it will greatly accelerate what can also happen without towing if you should have to swerve fast to avoid something. Or hit a bump hard in a turn with no trailer should also let you see the issue.

No in all seriousness take a look behind your front tire are the leaf spring and the bump stop. If the bump stop happens to not have been ripped off yet you will have maybe enough room to fit you thumb in there or it may be resting on it.

Ford screwed up the springs on this thing bit time all trying to make it fit in the 6'10" garage openings. The front spring were made not only soft but with cheap Mexico steel and started to sag the second they were installed. The rear are just the opposite. They stil have to meet the Payload and tow ratting for the F250 but not have the height. They flatten the arch out but to keep the same rating how to greatly stiff the leafs. So you have far less travel with a very stiff spring. By going to a super duty front spring and then using a rear on but adding a couple leafs to account fr the heavier back end of the X you end up with a smooth riding X with proper suspension travel and weight ratings. It will ride smooth like a SD does with a nice payload in the bed. The springs made for the SD are not valved correct for the Excursions different weight distribution. OBSWIX has had Bilstein create some custom valved shocks with valving specifically for the X. Most X did not come with rear only front sway bars and the ones that did finally get them it was too thin. Adding the SD sway bar 30mm greatly improves handling. Finally he X with standard 10.50 tires does not have either a wide enough stance or enough of a foot print for good handling especially when towing or taking turns. Going to a 12.5 wide tire addresses this but you should get rims that are at least 9"and ideally 10 inch wide. 18-20 diameter seem to work best.

Those changes will completely transform the way the X handles and tows.

Nice thing is other than tires and rims the rest is fairly inexpensive comparatively. You can get springs and sway bar form salvage yards or 4x4 shops to save money if needed. Shocks are well priced especially thru Cary (OBSWIZ) which is the only place you can get them with that valving.

Any question on any of it I would shoot him a PM or email.

#12 ·
My X used to be absoloutely dangerous to tow with, even a 6k trailer would run you into every lane on the road. I have lifted it, added an F250 rear sway bar, shocks, and airbags and now tow a 32' 12k trailer comfortably. I am still in search of the perfect rear spring and may be changing them again. And yes the bigger tires make a huge difference with it when towing.

Attachments

#11 ·
Clay is the man. You will love your parts. Do you already have gauges?

#13 ·
Cary T (OBSWIZ) is the one that taught what I know about getting these things to handle correctly. Your results are exactly what happens when you follow it. The man really does know his stuff.

#14 ·
Ya gauges are on my list of parts ordered... ( ordered it all Friday)

Intake showed up Monday ( installed)
Exhaust got in on Tuesday ( installed)
SD rear diff cover today ( installed)
Also did the front diff fluid, and fuel filter.

Called my good budy that has done tons of crap to his F350... Now a F550, to see if he had any springs... He did picked up some V codes that are pretty much new ( still had the part number stickers on them) for free :D And think he knows some one with good B codes as well. He also had a Mag tech rear diff cover that he will give me dirt cheap good thing I just put my 08+ SD one on tonight :doh:

So I might be selling an 08+ rear diff cover.. used for 30 miles. :doh:

But no rear sway bar....

I hope the gauges get here tomorrow ( last day to work on the truck before towing the boat this weekend).

#15 ·
id be interested in the 08 diff cover

#17 ·
Ok all the Mods installed. Very happy with the DP tuner so far made a huge difference towing. Got the 08 diff cover off and the Magtec on. Here is the FS add for the 08 cover.

08+ rear diff cover, Powder Coated, Drain bolt added. - Powerstroke Nation

Got a set of front springs.. Still trying to track down the rest of the rear suspension stuff ( springs and sway bar) Guy didn't have what I needed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.