Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

changing head studs

3K views 26 replies 15 participants last post by  TAMU_PSD 
#1 ·
can you do head studs one at a time as you take bolts out or will it mess with the torque? I thought about changing them out but cant see pulling it down with out doing some additional work

#2 ·
I have read that you can do them one at a time and have no issues. I am planning on doing the same thing as soon as I save up enough money to buy the studs. Let me know how it goes for you.

#6 ·
I did it on mine with a buddy. It was a long a$$ process and I ended up having a bad head gasket after doing it like that. Coincidence?? I don't know but I would remove the heads and do it all at once. Keeps you from having to do it twice.

#7 ·
It really depends on what kind of condition you current gaskets are in. If you know they are good EX: dealer replaced them not that long ago or you have ran your truck easy or chipless you will be ok. I have done it both ways with no major issues. If you are on a budget don't be worried about taking them off unless they are questionable.

#8 ·
I'd like to add studs this way. Dealer replaced my gaskets and all at 25K, and I have about 52K now. It has most always been tuned, but I drive it very easy.

#9 ·
id pull the heads for the etra money u will spend you will safe in the end becaus u dont have to do it 2wice

#10 ·
I would pull the heads and have them checked.....And man it has got to be a PIA to do it that way...The cabs come off easy had my cab off in 3 hours with a lift.

#14 ·
What all is required to unhook when you pull the cab? The mechanic at the local Ford garage told me it would take a first timer probably 5-6hrs to pull it. I decided then, that I would be a good ways into the engine from the top side in that amount of time. What points do you actually lift the cab from?

#15 ·
I think around 5 hours sounds about right. I do not have the actual write up, but I do know that m-chan68 (Powerstroke Nation - View Profile: m-chan68) would probably be more than willing to help you if you call him. He has offered directions to 3 or 4 other guys on here and could probably forward the same info to you. I suppose you could message him, or call him, his dealership is in the sig.

#16 ·
I would remove the heads and have them surfaced properly. Fords spec for flat is not sufficient for the mls gasket a 6.0 uses. We have studded motor with brand new heads from ford and the trucks still puked. After doing it all over again on our dime, we surfaced the heads to a propper spec and have not had one issue yet with the trucks weve done that way.

The studs higher clamping force is part of the fix, but its not bulletproof without flat surfaces.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.