Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

quick caltrac ?

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Michael 
#1 ·
after lookin thru the forum here i came across this link an recall someone sayin these are the best bang for buck short of makin them yourself.this maybe an ignorant question but i want to be sure before ordering,should i use the ones meant for the 93-96 lighting or one of the other trucks?

thanks

#3 ·
Dieselfever has a set on his truck and it seems to hop worse with the Caltracs. If you drop down a gear and punch it, the rear end of the truck actually jumps off the ground.

You can ask him about them, but after riding in it, I don't think I'd want to use them.

Dave

#5 ·
Sounds like they're not adjusted properly, that's NOT normal for CalTracs!!

#4 ·
that sounds horrible i can imagin sled pulling or wheeling with a truck that did that^^^^^^^

#6 ·
KB3MMX- i agree with you, a buddy of mine has them on his dodge an it took awhile to get them dialed in for his personally style of drivin but once they're set up, the truck just hooked an has ben ever since. my other ? was do i order the kit for the 93-96 lighting pickup or do i call them with what truck i have an see what they have to offer?
thanks

#7 ·
Call them, they will make up a set specifically for your truck even if it is not listed as a normal application on their website. Mine work very well and have eliminated the horrible wheel hop it once had. I have to loosen mine to haul my camper (it loads the rear down so far that it ends up shoving the lower mounts back if the bars are not adjusted looser).

Regards,
Michael Pliska

#9 ·
Is his truck lifted? Mine is not (2WD). I snug mine up about 1/4-turn from hand tight on each side, and they work great. Mine's no powerhouse (15.50's @ 89 mph), but it hopped like crazy before I added the caltracs.

Regards,
Michael Pliska

#10 ·
It's a standard height 5speed 4x4 F350 Michael, and he's also tried different sets of tires too.

I know several guys running them on Dmax's without a problem, but we have to adjust them before and after pulling, which I just see as an additional pain in the rear when setting the truck up before the hook, and before driving home. Just my opinion though, I like my traction bars way better. :D

Dave

#11 ·
I wonder if it's because it's a 5-speed? Yeah, the readjustment is a minor hassle, but it literally takes only 30 seconds per side (I don't tighten the rear locknuts, only the fronts). I was hoping it would be a "miracle cure" and let me make boosted launches despite being 2WD, but my big turd is still too dang front heavy. They definitely improved traction (in addition to eliminating the wheel hop), but I still spin if I launch in anything but a stock tune.

Regards,
Michael Pliska

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.