Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Round vs square

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  offroadinginaz 
#1 ·
Which egr cooler is better in design and least likely to fail. Round or square? My vote goes to the round cooler. What do yall think?

#4 ·
IIRC the early years are round are seemed to be better with less failures. :shrug:

#7 ·
In Diesel Power mag some time ago, there was an article about a shop in So Cal that believed the round was better. They some how changed out the failing squares to the rounds. Showed pics of alot of coolers they had changed over the years.

#9 ·
More dosent make them better. The difference is because honeywell or garret made the early egr coolers. I would guess they lost the contract and another company came in cheaper. That is why they changed. Ih engines saw lower temps I would bet due to lower hp tuning and less rpms.

#12 ·
You're exactly right, the round coolers were manufactured by a different company....the inside tubes of the square coolers were junk, the welds were junk as well....the only reason Ford went to square coolers was because of a cheaper manufacturing price....Here's another Ford cheapo secret, all those wiring harness chaffing issues was due to the fact the Ford did not use the wiring harness that International had provided them, instead some engineer figured out a way to route the harness so that it used less wire, by cutting 1 foot of copper out of every wiring harness they could save millions on manufacturing in the long run...we see how that worked out !!!!! Just remember that everything you drive or fly in was built by the lowest bidder...

#11 ·
:whs: i have been replacing more of the round style coolers lately,dont think there is a difference in the round or the square besides year model

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.