Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Deranged The rebuild begins, at Texas Diesel Power!

40K views 303 replies 73 participants last post by  Choupique108 
#1 ·
Well unfortunately, due to "Unforeseen Circumstances" beyond my control, the Ranger motor is in need of being torn down to bare block and rebuilt. I started this thing nearly 3 years ago, with the intention of it being ready for TS.....I just didn't know I was gonna miss that deadline twice. Had the floods not happened, we still would have only drug it there to find out we couldn't run it. Well, we still have a chance to make TS 10, and were gonna try like hell to do just that.

The engie is tore down to a long block and is still sitting in the truck. I get home Thursday and plan to pull the heads off of it, and pull it out of the truck. The original engine builder, CHS racing, simply doesn't have time to build it again. Dave builds nothing but high performance engines, and did me a favor building it in the first place. Unlike some people that I TRUSTED, I know I do not have the ability to build the bottom end to where it needs to be. Fortunately, I have a Buddy that does. Early next week, the engine will be going to John Robinsons shop in Weathorford Texas. Yeah, John, "Sugar Tits" Robinson of the Power services funny car "FAME". I made a call to John, and asked if he was interested, and he told me "Hell yeah, lets do it".

FOr those that aren't familiar, John has a guy that works for him, Mark Conyers. Mark has been around a while. He spent 7 years on the crew of Jim Heads Top Fuel funny car team. He has worked for both Pedregon teams, John Force racing, as well as a few others. He was a Machinist for Rodeck blocks, and to say the least, knows his chit. Mark is gonna be building the motor. At this point, I have no idea what the extent of the damage to the motor is, but I know its a full rebuild. I have helped John on his Funny car team a time or two, and I am very excited about giving my business to John and Texas Diesel Power, and I have the utmost confidence in the finished product, given Marks credentials.

The Bottom end is in TDP hands, and some other changes are in store. Borg/Warner was told of what happened. They didn't flinch for a half a second. I called looking for a rebuild kit for the turbo's. They refused to send out a rebuild kit, and told me two NEW turbo's were on the way. Since our original project was aiming for 700-800 HP, they sized them for that goal. Since our goal has changed to over 1000 Hp, they even went so far as to send me BIGGER turbo's.

Back from day one, Ryan Casserly was the injector guy. Ryan called me after seeing our first runs, and said he wasn't happy, and he wanted to go bigger, so the injectors are in a box and will be going to Ryan this week to be built, well in Ryans words, "HUGE". They would have to be gone trhough anyway with all the metal in the oil.

The HPOP we put in it from Bob at Dieselsite is most likely destroyed given the metal in the oil. Bob called me as soon as he heard what happened, and told me to send the pump back, and he has a new pump on the way.

The oil filter kit that was on it.....*****Cough***** is sitting in a box and will not be going back on it. Josh at River city Diesel offered his kit, that uses a full flow filter and a bypass filter after that.******COUGH***** they way the original filter SHOULD have been setup. :rules:

Thinking and doing research on filling the bottom end of the block and running coolant through the heads. Not 100% sure on that yet.

There is an oil cooler relocation kit that debuted at the Diesel Power Challenge from Bodacious diesel. We are talking about running that. They saw on average a drop in oil temperature of about 50*. If were gonna fill the block, that is probably gonna be a great way to go, and even if we don't, the stock oil cooler on these motors have had problems.

Thats the plan so far. I know most of you are probably saying, "Damn I am tired of hearing about this POS" LOL Sorry, but your gonna have to hear about it a little longer. :bang:kick: Thanks for everything each of you have done, and while I have said it before, I will say it again. I literally could not have done this without the diesel community.

See less See more
#11 ·
Good Luck Man! Glad to here everybody is helpin out. :ford:

#16 ·
Did anybody else notice that it was messed up by one TDP and is being rebuilt by another TDP? LOL :D

#19 ·
Very good news Tim, I'm glad you're keeping your spirits up and moving forward despite the #######s that ####ed you over :D

On another note, I actually live barely a mile down from TDP and would be more than happy to help out in any way I can. Just let me know. Good luck my friend! :ford:

#21 ·
Good to hear you have this thing moving along Tim. I cant wait to see this thing run and If I can help in anyway let me know. LOL I doubt there is much any of us can do but the offer is there. Maybe I will be able to make it to a diesel event next year for the first time in over 4 years....(Damn Marine Corp deployments)

#24 ·
Glad to hear its getting rebuilt! And its awsome to see that all the company's you listed, even though it was in no way their fault, are still going WAY above and beyond to help you with getting their parts fixed/replaced. Amazing sponsor and customer service!

#27 ·
Tim,

I have plenty of JB weld, a drill, sawzall and duct tape. If you need some one off parts just let us know LOL We will be glad to help if you need any haha LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.