Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

I was told NOT to delete EGR???

21K views 51 replies 27 participants last post by  wetnsloppy4x 
#1 ·
After talking to a friend of my dad's, who owns a powerstroke, and is a guru such as many of us, told me not to delete the EGR system. He said instead of doing away with, upgrade it. I did a google search, and didnt come up with anything for an upgrade. What is out there? Or is a delete the only option that I have?

#8 ·
I have seen upgrades for around $500ish but I do not see why we would want to. I just recently blocked mine off other than no more puking I have seen no other pro's or cons but susspect the oil to be much cleaner as well.

#9 ·
I believe GOS sells the Bulletproof (manufacturer's name) upgraded EGR cooler. It is around $350 I think and looks to be an impovement but as sad above its not fully proven yet.

My state follows in cali's footsteps and I am leary of all out deleting mine until I can find a good inspection shop to get through, plus might kill resale in my area if its deleted.

#10 ·
I also have deleted mine thanks to adam with first coast diesel performance i have his full egr delete intake manifold. I also say delete it. And if i was going to look into spending 300-500 bucks for an up graded egr system i would just add a few more hundred bucks to it and get adams delete kit and then you are worry free you have deleted the problem so its one less thing you have to worry about going wrong. No brainer to me DELETE the EGR its the only way to go

#11 ·
ford powerstroke guru is telling you not to delete it, wow i'm glad this guru has nothing todo with my truck, pushing exhaust gases back into the motor makes it run better how?

#44 ·
Best way............should work in calif to

#16 ·
Quick note, I do live in cali...

#19 ·
i think that he can he would just have to use block off plates that block off the ends of the egr cooler and then he would have to leave the actual egr valve in the top of the intake manifold that way if he took it to ford for some reason when the looked under the hood they would see the valve but wouldnt know it had block off plates in the ends of the cooler unless they had to take it out for some reason

#21 ·
Interesting. Im kind of on the fence on this one. I wanted to do the delete on it, but Ive been getting mixed signals. I do want to cover my ass if I have to end up smogging the damned thing down the road. I would be highly pissed if I took the equip off, then had to put it back on.

I might just end up getting the upgrade, just to be safe. As far as the smog details, when they look for opacity and smoke; does this mean that I would have to detune to stock in order pass? Thus making the truck seem to burn clean?

#22 ·
You may have to detune, all depends on the tune, and the truck. Block off the EGR then if any of inspectors were educated enough on where to find the EGR, it still passes the visual test (I cannot hardly find it on my own truck). The diesel testing does not measure the same things as the gas sniffer tests do, they will not know if the EGR is working, some trucks will throw an EGR code mine did not. Seems to be everyones opinion here to either delete it, bypass it, or pay in dividends later. Feel free to leave it I am sure your local auto tech will appreciate the business, no seriously though I was on the fence too but after having my EGR flash boil 1.5gallons of coolant out when towing 12k 50 miles out of town I blocked mine off.

I have seen posts before about which years will and will not throw a code for the EGR not seeing enough any flow, if it threw a code with a block off plate that you could not get rid of I would drill a 1/2" hole through the plug allowing some exhaust flow but not enough to make it heat up so bad.

#23 ·
If your running a tuner in cali you should have a carb certified tuner... Custom tunes are off road only that is why they don't come on the tuner. Something not explicitly stated by most. The tunes on boxed tuners are different because of that. Legally in the u.s. you cannot remove the cat, or the egr or any emissions equipment. As far as if you did the delete get a tune that is specifically written to lean out the truck and weld the cooler leave the egr valve in place but tune it out. This should pass a visual check and provide a clear obd check and have no smoke.

#24 ·
Tune the truck, block off the EGR with a plate or by welding the ends shut, and don't worry about the smog. I have a block-off and a solid uppipe. I will return my tunes to stock when I need to smog. My truck had not thrown an EGR code will stock so I think it will pass.

BTW, there is no OBDII check on 6.0's. BAR97 does not work on CAN stuff.

#27 ·
Its a Cali smog equipment thing. It can't connect to a vehicle running a CAN system, the machine is too old. I have actually heard of it not being compatible with alot of 7.3's too. According to CARB 99-02 7.3's can be OBDII checked by the BAR97 machine, but alot of people on Southern Cali Powerstrokes are saying that their 7.3's would not start with the machine hooked up...

#28 ·
what's the cost for the EGR delete? I'm in Cali too & I've seen them set up random checkpoints for smog equip checks! just like DUI checkpoints!! so I need to keep the EGR in place so I don't get fined:eek:

#29 ·
I saw that to when I lived out in Riverside! It's because of all the ricers in OntarioLOL Just run a block-off plate or weld the ends of the cooler shut...

#31 ·
Do you tow anything heavy with it? If not I would not worry about it to much so long as you have a coolant filter, without a coolant filter they liek to get clogged up and then start having issues. I never needed to block mine off until I started towing over 10,000lbs. But no you do not need a tuner to block off the EGR, some trucks are said to throw codes without though mine never did.

#33 ·
I don't tow anything heavy, my trucks been really reliable that's why i haven't done anything to it yet! does that Bullet Proof Cooler allow me to keep the EGR in place?

#34 ·
Yes it does. Keeps it in place and fully functional.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.