Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

HPOP gauge??

3K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  OBSBoysel 
#1 ·
I just installed my new Autometer gauge and it seems to stick when I step on the throttle while sitting still however when I am going through the gears it moves smooth up and down. Also at idle it says my psi is 300-400 while my AE states its 475-500 psi.

Any thoughts as to why it seems to "stick"? Anyone else have one installed?

Thanks Dave

#5 ·
The gauge piggybacks off of the ICP sensor. You have to splice into the wiring to get your signal. So I would dought that there is air in there since the AE is reading a little higher and somewhat more steady. They are getting the psi reading from the same spot.

#6 ·
I installed a Auto-Meter HPOP gauge too. Mine seems to be pretty smooth, but it does fog up on humid days.

#8 ·
Yup mine fogged up this morning on the way in to work and when I would shove the clutch in at the stop light it would drop to zero!! Plus when I start it up it doesn't move for about 5 seconds after the truck is running. Something isn't right. :mad:

#11 ·
I have both the Isspro version and the Scan gauge... no issues.

#12 ·
I would not expect the AE and a stand alone gauge to read the same.
The AE works on a pretty slow communication link from the PCM (doesn't apply to 6.4, since uses CAN). The PCM is in charge of filtering and smoothing the pressure reading so it doesn't over-react to erroneous readings (high OR low). All that combines to a value on the laptop screen that lags slightly behind what the actual value is, and also doesn't move around as much as the actual pressure.

Depending on the filtering that the gauge manufacturer used, the gauge may read slightly higher or lower than AE, but it should react just as fast, if not faster since it only worries about one pressure and doesn't have the extra overhead the PCM does.

#14 ·
Those with any of the HPOP gauges does it take a couple seconds after the truck is running before something shows on the gauge. Also have you compared them with AE or other software? When I step on it the Autometer will sometimes read over 1000 more psi then what AE reads.

Somewhat fustrating as I bought this to use as a tool but at this point it seems very unreliable. I did go back through everything and made sure that all the connections where good by soldiering them. I am also using ITP's pigtail so that I don't have to mess wtih the OEM wiring.

Any additional thoughts

#16 ·
well the gauges are reading snap images and prob miss a lot, where as the scan gauge and AE log trends and several times a second.
but i am sure when you get on it the gauge will take a dive and show it when the hpop peters out.

#17 ·
I have a call into Autometer tech line and await their call back. They are researching some parameters before they give me answers. I am guessing some sort of trouble shooting exercise. Which is fine with me, I just want to know if it is me or the gauge. If if is me I guess I should have spent the extra and bought a scan gauge.:mad: Oh well live and learn.

#18 ·
You didn't by any chance ask them about the fogging up issue? I just didn't know if maybe all of the HPOP gauges does it. Or if its a problem they will fix? Thanks.

#19 ·
Question has been asked awaiting answer.:D

#20 ·
that issue alone tells me the gauge is bad maybe a new one will behave and tell you what you need.

#21 ·
Well I just got a reply from Autometer and this is what they said.

"That's typical for incandescent gauges. We can install an antifog polycarbonate lens for a minimal fee."

I just bought an LED 194 light and solved the issue with fogging. Dennis @ ITP recommended the site where to buy it.

#22 ·
OK Thanks alot. I will try that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.