Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Cut up the tow hitch

4K views 37 replies 15 participants last post by  CooterBrown 
#1 ·
I cut the rear bumper brackets a few weeks ago, but it made the hitch stand out that much more. I pulled the hitch only to see a nasty spare tire, so i pulled both. The spare has been riding under the tonneau, but I have had not hitch since then. I did some searching online but only found hidden hitches rated at 5K. I was also concerned that the new hitch may not line up with the very narrow hole the factory bumper has to offer. I started measuring and cutting Thursday of this week, working on a it a few hours at time. I finished it yesterday, apart form what I'll be doing with the rear license plate. I can't find a flip bracket that is slim enough to not look like Mikey's ass. I'm leaning toward an 1/8" plate welded to a 2" receiver, removed when i want to tow.

The rear bumper was moved forward 3/4" and up 1/2".

Tha factory receiver was moved forward 5-3/4", crossbar flipped 180 degrees, then moved up 2-3/8".

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
:whs:

love the attention to detail on every inch of the truck, and all the better when you come up with it and build it all your own.

#8 ·
I love it!! My only questions is this - do you have to crawl under the truck to get the pin in?

#9 ·
looks great. i need to look into doing that to my ranchhand

#11 ·
I'm sold... If I had somewhere else to put a spare, I'd be asking if you would do another one, lol. From your description, there'd be no way to have a spare under there and the modified hitch, correct?

That's awesome!

Will also look into that pin... looks like one heck of a good idea. Where did you get it?

#13 ·
That's a great idea...

If not one of those, then I bet one of the 80's G-body (I think that's right), like a Regal or Monte Carlo would have one, as well as the box/bubble (Cant believe I'm using those terms) Caprices also had one that would fold/flip.

#16 ·
Flip plate is done, just haven't taken pictures. I didn't use the store bought flip mounts because they all look like ass from above. When they are used on a factory setup, or even a roolpan, they are tucked into a pocket and you never see the bracket. When you install them flush on a bumper it's all there for the world to see. I used 3/16 plate and piano hinge, and made it flip up. I don't have to use a ball mount extension, but I'm running a modified adjustable pintle ball mount that's rated for 12,500. When the hitch is installed, the plate rests on the draw bar at exactly 90°, and the ball is 3-4" beyond the end of the plate. I'll try and get some pictures up this week.

#18 ·
Man i have to say, you do some quality work.

#25 ·
I used the factory hitch, used all the factory hardware, factory mounting holes, but cut new holes in the 1/4 plate for the crossbar, where I wanted the crossbar to be relocated to. I also flipped the receiver tube from below the cross bar, to above the crossbar.

#27 ·
Thats true. but its the little things like that that makes your truck and budros so immaculent.

#29 ·
Nothing to do with the tow hitch, but more ass end modifications. I cut up a 2009 man-gate, added 2009 tail lights, and changed tonneaus to a roll-n-lock. The roll-n-lock isn't supposed to work with the mangate, but a little cutting took care of that. I tried to keep the body line in the tailgate, but it didn't survive welding the rest shut. It needs some pinstripe at this point. The mangate is about 12-15" above the ground with my stance, perfect for my 3-4-9 year old girls, they love it.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.