Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

04-6.0 Shut off at 55

3K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  ANNAMEL 
#1 ·
I am new to the site but have been browsing for some time now. Allot of great information here and some VERY nice trucks also.
I have a 04-6.0 with 200k had it flashed 2 years ago. Stock everything and bought it new. Never had any problems with it. Was driving down road last sat at 55 mph and it shut off. No warning or anything. Tried to start back and just turned over.
No check engine light.
When I try and crank I have good oil pressure.
Towed home and read about a sensor below the turbo in back and unpluged it. (2 hrs later)
No crank.
Checked Harness
Got scanner and no codes.
Changed oil and filter and top fuel filter.
Turned over with top fuel filter cap off and fuel bowl full and running over.(just enough to insure fuel flow)
No crank.
shot some ether in the (very small amount) air box and it cranked.
Rough idle but when reved to 2000 rpm it was smooth.
Eventually at idle it died.
Did again and same thing.
I got a fuel pressure test kit and am now going out to shop and figure where to hook it up.
I hope i have given enough information for any ideas.
I am thinking it is the rail fuel pump but why would it only crank on either and then run.
Thanks for letting me put this out there for ya.

See less See more
#2 ·
sounds like you have a high pressure oil problem if you had fuel in the filter while cranking i dont know what oil pressure guage your using but if your using the stock one there not so trustworthy they need 600psi of oil pressure to start and i have seen the factory guage read fine while cranking but after hooking up a computer it was only building maybe 400psi

#4 ·
yes it happens randomly. I dont know of any easy way to do it except hooking up a computer that can read oil pressure through the OBD2 port. the HPOP could have gone bad there is a fitting in the back of the HPOP that will blow it apart too. and you said you unplugged the icp sensor which is the one under the turbo if you got an early build 6.0 so that shouldnt be it.

#6 ·
Just went through almost the same scenario with my 04 too..... Mechanic thought it was a HPO leak somewhere from the combination of codes it threw and after going over the oil system.... it ended up being the HPOP. I swore it was a fuel issue myself.

I'd put my money on a HPO system issue. Maybe its simply a bad valve or something.....

#7 ·
Here is a way of checking to see if you have sufficient high pressure oil without having a gauge or adapter. Strip back the wires about an inch away from the icp sensor connector. Obtain a digital multimeter and set it for voltage (DC). The bn-wh wire is a five volt reference, leave that alone. Strip back the db-lg signal wire and the gy-rd ground wire. Put positive lead on a dark blue-light green wire and negative lead on gray-red wire. Have an assistant crank truck, you need a minimum of 0.80 volts (500 psi) for the truck to start, if you are getting greater than that then you have sufficient high pressure oil.

#8 ·
Thanks for all the help on this. I am going to purchase a scanner. Is there a affordable one that will give me run data like oil pressure. Would a bad HPOP throw a code? I got everything put back together after checking the ICP and shot a lil ether in it and it ran great for 10 minutes and died. Again thanks for the help. If i can get this fixed and drive for 6 months i will be getting a 2011.

#9 ·
I broke down and am buying an AE cause it will tell you everything you ever need to know about whats goin on with that truck. Deputydog will give ya a good deal.

#10 ·
Ok heres an update. I called mechanis this AM and he told me it was the HPOP. Said when he got it cranked it had 6-700 lbs. Said the screen might be clogged but doubted it. Asked how much and he said between 1500-2000 clams. HOLY S#*T. I talked with Josh from Spokan (SPONSER) and will give me a price on a new one Fri. Will stop by shop and look at price to do job and see what labor is and parts. Hope he is not trying to charge me a arm and a leg for parts. If so i will order one from josh and DIY.(MAYBE)

#14 ·
Update:

1500 clams to getter back runnin. I can handle that. Will be gettin a 2011 in 6 mos. Test drove one today and man what a truck. Motor looks easier to work on than 6.0 Alot of room. Intior seemed a lil crunched compared to mine. Got some pretty good pep and no turbo lag from zero.

It will start with a lil shot of ether. Mechanis said he checked again fri and would only get 200 with turning motor over.

#15 ·
Re: 04-6.0 Shut off at 55 ITS FIXED!!!

Got my truck back today and runs great. Mech said everything looked great for wear. Turbo, Intake etc... I would like to thank Powerstrokenation for providing such a great site and the people on it. Again thank you for all the help.

#16 ·
Re: 04-6.0 Shut off at 55 ITS FIXED!!!

Got my truck back today and runs great. Mech said everything looked great for wear. Turbo, Intake etc... I would like to thank Powerstrokenation for providing such a great site and the people on it. Again thank you for all the help.
What was ultimately the problem and done to it for 1500 clams ?

And were those cherry stone or little neck clams ? :D :poke: I like the little necks myself.....

#18 ·
Just wanted to update ya and let you know the ole 6.0 is rokin along. No problems what so ever. Think when theese tires wear out i am gonna put a lil lift and get some bigger radials. Daughter has been wanting me to do it for some time now. I pull a boat so dont want to go too big.

#20 ·
Ever since i got it runnin and mechanic said it was in great shape decided to keep and hold off on a new one. This one has no payement so kinda got used to NO PAYEMENT. But guess what happend today. WRONG. Tow /haul light started blink and trans temp gauge started jumping around. Gonna do some research and see what i can find in here on it. Up for suggestions anyone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.