Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

238cc hybrids with a stock turbo?

22K views 57 replies 30 participants last post by  blackbetty13 
#1 ·
i want to run 238 hybrids with a stock turbo in our truck pulling class this year. I know that my turbo will take a beating but i am just wondering how long my turbo will last? This is my daily driver and i am figureing on about 7 hooks this summer give or take a few.

Thanks

#3 ·
i ran my stocker for awhile, it did finally eat its self but it was alot of fun. spool up is very fast.

#4 ·
Get used to this noise...

CCCCChhhhhhaaahahahaaccccchaaaaaaachchchcchchchccchahchcfphhthohohtohtoohphphphph....

I have ran one as well... About worthless for anything.

Keep in mind the guy above has a OBS, so a 1.15 housing helped his not to surge quite as bad.

#10 ·
sorry, never ran the 230's with the obs turbo. i put them in after i put in the sd turbo with a WW, and i never had the wastegate hooked up. i will say that at the time i did it i knew that i was gambling with it but i was prepared to throw a gt42 in it when it chucked its self. i did also do several pulls with it.

#5 ·
Your playing with fire - you might be OK - but the turbo could (and will) chuck itself at any time. Maybe a year - maybe a minute..... it all depends on your turbo, your driving habits, your tuning, and how nasty your hybrids are. But even something as tame as say 238s with 80% tips its a gamble. Be prepared to swap turbos.

(and if your prepared to swap turbos - you should just go ahead and do it...)

#6 ·
Maybe a year - maybe a minute..... it all depends on your turbo, your driving habits, your tuning, and how nasty your hybrids are. But even something as tame as say 238s with 80% tips its a gamble. Be prepared to swap turbos.

(and if your prepared to swap turbos - you should just go ahead and do it...)
:whs:

#11 ·
So you guys don't feel too bad about or worry about the turbo grenading and throwing all sort of swarf into the motor when a turbo lets go?

Or is it just that a long of a way to the Y pipe from the turbo?

#13 ·
usually just melts the exhaust wheel and goes out the exhaust, shouldn't have anything going into the intake...

#14 ·
:whs: and parts from the compressor side gets caught up in the IC...small dust like shavings may make it. nothing a oil change cant fix..

#15 ·
I ran my 238 hybrids with my stock turbo for about 2 months and it didnt like it at all. You really wont make any more power with hybrids and a stock turbo then you could with stage 1's and stock turbo.

#18 ·
You are correct Comp7.3, i am trying to stay in the work stock class. I really would like hybrids because i dont have to buy big oil and they can get pretty crazy if i decide to jump a class and get a bigger turbo. I mean am i thinking crazy or is it worth a shot?

#19 ·
Go for it and just know that you will have to put a new turbo in b4 long.

I would HATE to see what drive pressure is like with a stock turbo and hybrids.

#21 ·
guy I know friend of a friend put some in but not sure of the nozzle size.His turbo lasted 2 hours before his wheel blew apart out the exhaust this week.Said he hit 50-60 boost.Not sure if 238's get that high of boost or not.

#24 ·
What pulling class would a 38R put you in?

Spool up is instantaneous with 238's and a stock turbo. I only drove about 15 miles like that but it was kinda fun....

#25 ·
No mine is a late 99. And a 38R would put me in the mod class. I would be going up against a few cummins and duramaxs that have more than i got. Thats kind of why i was hoping to run a stock turbo. Well maybe i shouldnt say stock, more like stock "appearing." :evil

#28 ·
i know i was surprised too but there is nothing in the rules where it says anything about injector size. I also talked to a guy on the board and he said it was fine. There are cummins guys running 150hp injectors so i think i can do it too. hahaha

#29 ·
Van turbo will help since it has a bigger exhaust housing.

Can you run water injection in your work stock class? Your EGT's are gonna be out of control w/ the injectors and only 30 psi of boost. I'd look into spraying some water to cool things off....

I have no problem hitting 1400* on the street without water and 35 psi of boost.

#34 ·
Depends...

What is the highest that your gauge reads? :poke:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.