Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Oil In Coolant (Lots)

2K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  roughneck0913 
#1 ·
I'm pretty convinced that my oil cooler exploded... either that or it has been leaking slowly for a long time. And it has probably caused other damage. Thought I would post it up and see what you guys thought.

Previous Mods:
Next to none. Put 5" straight pipe from DP back into 8" exhaust single stack. 18x9 Wheels with 33/13.5 tires. No tuner, or anything. Same as sig.

Symptoms:
Few days ago, noticed the engine fan was constantly engaged.

Around same time, excessive white smoke from stack. Usually just on the first push down the road, then clears up. Always let my truck warm up properly before taking off. Strange, is that it does it after every I start it up to go somewhere. Not just after the first startup of the day.

Started it up today, and turbo sounded funny at first... like it was muffled. Usually hear it quite well with the stack. So...

Found excessive oil (more like grease - like tractor grease) in the coolant reservoir. Then...

Drove it off, and started to overheat. Babied it to brother-in-laws house, where we decided to try to flush it out. Flushed and flushed with water. It wasn't breaking up well.

This could be why:
Auto part Muffler Wheel

So, after flushed with water the best we could. I took off the reservoir and decided to wash it out with gas. It worked ok, but it's a lot of grease, and it's hard to break up.

After hooking it back together and letting it warm to see if it was going to get hot again, a good romp on it gave way to oil blowing out the stack. Not, black smoke or anything burnt, just straight up oil, like a shower.
Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive exterior Car Vehicle door

Well, let it do it's thing, and doesn't get hot. Have to make it home and start taking it apart. Guess I'm riding the Ducati to work... Hope it doesn't rain too much.

It does not seem to have lost power, or run rough, or spit anything like that.

Builds boost just fine.

After about a minute turbo sounds fine (no more muffled tone)

Doesn't appear to have coolant in oil (just by checking dip) also, doesn't appear to have lost any oil, but it must have...

Any input would be happily received. Thanks guys for your help.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hmm oil coming out of your stack can be a few things, but it looks like a mix of coolant as well, only a few places coolant can be coming, Your EGR cooler failed putting coolant in your y-pipe, or HG's really bad

#4 ·
Got it home finally with only two cases of mild overheating in a 45 mile trip. Doesn't seem too bad considering the massive amount of sludge in there. I'll probably start taking it apart tonight.

The oil coming out the exhaust did look watered down some.

I knew I should have done EGR delete last fall when I wanted too.... LOL I didn't think about it throwing fluid in the Y pipe.

#6 ·
Haha.... Maybe we should have a big G2G for all the Missouri trucks.... I'll offer up my house! :hehe:

#7 ·
LOL Just NE of Springfield in Strafford actually.

#8 · (Edited)
Read the thread "Electrical Issues".... you will understand where I am comin' from! LOL

#10 ·
Yessir! LOL That would be a sight to see!!!

Mike... ever felt like towin' another truck up to St. Louis with ya... Haha... JK.

Can't help ya there bud.... No good.... Your 'clogged arteries' look like the so called 'goop' that came outta my truck when I changed the oil... Hopefully someone here can give ya a suggestion.... :-/

#11 ·
simple green after y get it all back together I have used simple green just fill cooling system with wather with like .5 gannols of simple green let it run for a few minutes after t-stat opens then drain and refill might have to do it a few times to get every thing...

#15 ·
Got it tore down today and the oil cooler out. It's hard to tell if there is any coolant in the oil or not by eyeball. I'll know more in the morning after looking at all the o rings and gaskets where it failed. The hole where the intake sits on top of the EGR cooler was PACKED with sludge I know that much, but the tube for the EGR coolant supply didn't seem to have very much.

The oil that blew out the stack still worries me.

Run the engine flushing coolant while the thermostat is out? Did I understand that right?

Thanks a ton guys!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.