05 6.0 upgrades ??? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Home Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum > Super Duty 1999-Current > 6.0L Power Stroke - Aftermarket & Performance
Register Members List Timeslips Calendar Auto Loans Sponsors Becoming a Sponsor Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PowerStrokeNation.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-12-2010, 07:08 PM
harley-kid
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

05 6.0 upgrades ???

ok who here has an 05 f250 that has done upgrades other then exhaust and intake? I want too know what tunes and other upgrades i can do that wont smoke the heads or engine....let me know what u did and how u like it ...thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Go to the top
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2010, 07:12 PM
F350Powerhouse
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Re: 05 6.0 upgrades ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley-kid View Post
ok who here has an 05 f250 that has done upgrades other then exhaust and intake? I want too know what tunes and other upgrades i can do that wont smoke the heads or engine....let me know what u did and how u like it ...thanks
An EGR delete and a mild tune from SCT.
Spearco, AFE, Flowpro 4"
Nitrous
Suncoast tranny (want a NADP)
Elite fueling
Old 05-12-2010, 07:31 PM
FordSuperDuty05
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

EGR Delete highly recommend the Full EGR Delete from Adam at First Coast Diesel Performance

Head studs are a must if you want to do a programmer

SCT with custom tunes is the only way to go i would contact tony wildman with total diesel performance and he will treat your right
Old 05-12-2010, 07:44 PM
harley-kid
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

thanks ...is the egr delete hard to put in? I work on trucks and cars all the time but there gas???
Old 05-12-2010, 07:50 PM
GOOSEKILLER
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

An egr delete is not that bad of a job me and my buddy installed a GoGo intake manifold a few months ago and it took us about 6hrs or so. My turbo was just sitting in the pedestal and there was only 1 bolt in my pedestal so that saved me a ton of time.
Old 05-13-2010, 05:29 AM
KingRanch05
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

I disagree, i dont think that studs are a must especially if he is only going with a mild tune, this being said get an SCT with custom tunes not some canned tunes like Edge, ect... I have an 05 and have been pulling the $#!t out of my truck lately and have Dfusers agressive tow tune and pro race and have not had any trouble with heads (knock on wood).
IDP Tow, Extreme Street
Old 05-13-2010, 11:38 PM
Tyler Dirty
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingRanch05 View Post
I disagree, i dont think that studs are a must especially if he is only going with a mild tune, this being said get an SCT with custom tunes not some canned tunes like Edge, ect... I have an 05 and have been pulling the $#!t out of my truck lately and have Dfusers agressive tow tune and pro race and have not had any trouble with heads (knock on wood).

This is all a matter of how you drive your truck!! if you drive like grandpa and just cruise around you probably wont have any issues but if your at the track every weekend you ARE going to have issues eventually but thats just part of it..

That being said i have had trucks with no tunes that needed headgaskets it is a common problem on the 6.0 due to only having 10 headbolts per head. I highly recomend headstuds if you plan on keeping the truck and plan on running ANY type of tune.
Old 05-14-2010, 05:10 AM
Constantfix
<--won't start
Member's Gallery

i have an 05' f250 as well
i've blown 2 HG, truck has never had any mod of any sort. Only things on it is a 4" turbo back and an aftermarket intake. first HG went at 102,000 (very convenient) Second HG just went at 135,xxx. Its getting the studs now & egr delete, but damn i wish i'd been doing my research just a bit earlier.

To the OP, the amount of money i've spent is now become silly and thats money spent on NO FUN type sh!t....but if i had done it right to begin with, i wouldnt (most likely) have to be dealing w/ it for a second time. You can hope for the best but prepare for the worst IMO
Old 05-14-2010, 06:15 AM
KingRanch05
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Basically what im getting at is I think that a custom tune that is nothing too hot will help your truck dependability wise. These guys that write the tunes know that this motor has HG problems and will keep the cylinder pressures in check which is the main cause of HG failure. Also many of these tunes do not run the EGR which eliminates another problem area. I think it would be wise to get a set of guages that way you can monitor everything properly.

That being said, yes if you plan on running the dog pi$$ out of your truck and dragging it HG will be a necessity but from what i gather on the OP i dont think he plans on doing either of these. The head bolts in his 05 have different torque specs than earlier models. Since your already out of warranty save your money and do HGs when necessary.
Old 05-15-2010, 07:59 PM
bad moose
Still learning
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingRanch05 View Post
Basically what im getting at is I think that a custom tune that is nothing too hot will help your truck dependability wise. These guys that write the tunes know that this motor has HG problems and will keep the cylinder pressures in check which is the main cause of HG failure. Also many of these tunes do not run the EGR which eliminates another problem area. I think it would be wise to get a set of guages that way you can monitor everything properly.

That being said, yes if you plan on running the dog pi$$ out of your truck and dragging it HG will be a necessity but from what i gather on the OP i dont think he plans on doing either of these. The head bolts in his 05 have different torque specs than earlier models. Since your already out of warranty save your money and do HGs when necessary.
Well put. My philosphy is the same. Just know when you do it this way you may have to pay to play.
Still to slow

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 137
!!!PainTrain!!!, 01redcrew, 05 Super Duty, 06f250powerstroke, 06powerstroke, 07straightpiped, 2000Censtroker, 2003f250, 6.0 p-stroke, 95doodoo, 97 stroker, 97mreaper, ADubDiesel, ajordan193, almostfinished, B3YOND, bad moose, BDS, bigastrk, BigBlack03, bigredfx4, BigTXForddiesel, blackqball, bm1962, Boknows, bootcamp, BoredandStroked, Brentos, brian, bzy livn, cam406406, cheezit, Cobra 19 & 54, Colorado7.3, Constantfix, Countryboy07, daves02, deiter5262, despain85, Dieselholic, dits145, dkoril, Double D's, dstryr, Dustin F2504x4, elev8dboost, F-117HWK, F-250-Owner, F-25000, F350Powerhouse, Ford4Eva, fordboy11, fordguy20056.0, FordMan7, FordSuperDuty05, FTREE50, fuekear, Goose1995, GOOSEKILLER, gunfreak25, halerazor, harley-kid, harley2envy, Hayes0620, HNF6.0, hopperwagonbob, Hutch, ifitssmokinitsstrokin, irontx25, jada, jamhok, Java, JD F350, jim 1156, jminardi, joestroo, joshsellin, jr6.4stroker, j_cyrus, Keplinger78, KingRanch05, ktoddford, kwissman, longhorn350, martin88, matts05f250sd, maurice durocher, Mdub707, micky_blue, Monstar, needalaugh, new2deisel, nhr3, nickPSD, NorCal997.3, oildaddy750, OneStockQuik6.0, Pitcher, pwrstrk4x4, rcarroll, redimix08, REDSOX2758, RescueF250, RIGROCKET, RWOODY, SamW, Santa Gertrudis, scranch287, Sean_R, shocka04, silkmac, Silverback, Skintback, Smokin6-0, sonnyy13n, stroke of luck, STROKEDSTANG, strokeit06, STROKER6.04LIFE, strokeroperator, strokerta, Strokin4life, TAMU_PSD, texasmedic01, THE HERO, THE RED ROCKET, TheFinalStroke, tkdbf350, toolmangary, Toreador250, TrailerHauler, travis6363, turbodieselny, TWEETER, Tyler Dirty, WasGas