Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

First Impressions of Sun Coast Trans/Converter

4K views 33 replies 12 participants last post by  erikclaw 
#1 ·
So far after having my trans upgraded and Sun Coast converter installed the truck has driven flawlessly. Last night I went WOT for the first time from about a 30 MPH roll. The truck down shifted, upshifted and then locked the converter. This whole sequence felt very smooth. No erradic shifting or slamming gears. Let me tell you, when the converter goes to lock, you FEEL the difference vs. the stock unit! It reminds me of hitting the first stage of nitrous in a few of my cars at the track back in the day! My first though after the converter locked up was, "that's worth a MPH right there!", (meaning in the 1/4 mile of course). :tree:

Later on in the night and about 50 miles down the road I nailed it from about a 10 MPH roll and holy hell! I'm going to need a Detroit in this truck very soon. LOL

The best part is that this is the smallest tune I have, which is the Spartan v4 275. I do have other mods that make the 275 act a little bigger than normal, but still, the 310/345/350 are just going to be nutty! :ford:

#2 ·
Cool did you put it in or have it installed? I used to do stuff like this all the time but after back surgery and getting older i was thinking of seeing what it would coast to have it installed.What else do you have done to the trans?

#6 ·
I had him install the Sun Coast "super duty" rebuild kit with billet input/intermediate and converter. I didn't have him take the time to install the external dmax filter. I'll be installing that myself soon.

#7 ·
You should take your truck to the track and see how much you gained with the torque converter.

#24 ·
On a stock trans I think the direct solenoid is a good idea, but on a built trans it just hits to hard. The 4-5 shift is the shift that killed my billet input, so I'm trying to actually make that shift less violent.

#27 ·
Been there, done that. Only shaft I didn't half was the output, which I would've been quite proud of. All others I've been through 2 of them each.
Hopefully you guys find the answer.. These transmissions are as touchy as 6.0 injectors.

#29 ·
i was just reading through this thread and noticed jeff said to becareful on snapping the shaft...
are you a witch doctor or can you see the future, jeff:hehe:
i think mike has been through 2 of em...not sure what he is running now but i know they had to lower the line pressure,

#30 ·
Yeah, I think Jeff put a hex on my intermediate shaft. :mad:

LOL

Really though, I figured wheel hop was going to be the worth thing on everything in the trans. I thought that as long as I avoided wheel hop launches I'd be ok. Guess not!

It's amazing that it broke on the first WOT pull with the 310! :doh:

#32 ·
When the intermediate broke I was actually testing the new setup with the 310 tune to make sure it was good for the track. Obviously, it wasn't.

I can't even explain how happy I am that I DID NOT make it to the track!!!

It would have looked VERY, VERY, bad for my business to have my truck break at the track. Not to mention that I would have no way to get my trailer and customers race car back to the shop!

#33 ·
Dang. The the shaft breaking right in the middle or where the splines are.

#34 ·
I heard about these problems and that is why I didn't upgrade and stayed with the stocker. Talking to Elite when purchasing it, they recommended not going to the billet piece. Something about where the transition is to the splines, I think the shaft changes diameter and it is a weak link. I have heard that Suncoasts new part is completely redone and more than just the shaft.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.