Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Single Cab Dually

17K views 82 replies 23 participants last post by  Bradbilt 
#1 ·
Well I guess I will join the OBS crowd again for a little while. Bought a 95 single cab dually 4wd today from my uncle. He bought the truck brand new and it has been his pride and joy ever since.

Only reason he sold it to me is because one of his employees was hauling concrete forms down a dirt road and was going to fast to make a turn with the heavy load and did a header into a tree. The tree hit smack in the middle between the frame rails and shoved everything back against the motor.

Good part is I think I already have everything that needs to be replaced except for the core support, hood and bumper.

Besides the smashed front end this truck looks almost as good as the day it drove off the showroom floor inside and out. I have been wanting a single cab 4wd dually for a long time and this one should make a nice one.:D

#4 ·
I will pics soon as possible.

I still have to go get the bed. He took the bed off and put it in storage soon as he bought the truck to make way for the custom flatbed. We picked the truck up last night but have to go get the bed still. I probably wait until I get the front end back together so I can just drive it over there and set the bed on the truck.

#5 ·
Well I guess I will join the OBS crowd again for a little while. Bought a 95 single cab dually 4wd today from my uncle. He bought the truck brand new and it has been his pride and joy ever since.

I have been wanting a single cab 4wd dually for a long time and this one should make a nice one.:D
This is NOT a factory truck...a conversion company converted it to 4x4....

There was NO 4x4 Dually Single Cab Trucks from the factory...;)

Just FYI!

#7 ·
I won't argue with you at all on this as I have never sat around researching what make and model configurations where built in what years. All I know for a fact is my uncle bought it brand new off the Ford lot exactly the way it is currently configured except for he took the factory bed off and put the flatbed on it.

I also know if you price it on NADA and KBB it comes up with this exact truck which seems odd if they were never made from the factory.

So if it was converted it was done before the dealership got it or they had it done themselves.

But again, I cannot argue your point at all as there is a possibility the dealership had it done before my uncle bought it. But no matter if it was or was not it is something I have been wanting. Eventually I will have had every possible configuration of the 7.3L PS ever made. LOL

#9 ·
Ok Kevin I decided to dig a little deeper into this after what you posted.

I looked the VIN up on the VIN Decoder and also pulled a CarFax on it. Both show this truck came as a DRW 4 wheel drive truck factory.

But the issue here is it shows it was a cab & chassis only.

So I called my uncle and asked him about this and he informed me the bed he has in storage is a flat bed that came on it. I told him it would have been nice to have known this as all he said was the original bed was in storage.

So at this point I am not sure if I will even go get the bed he has. We were doing some measuring just now and we will need to add round 5" to the frame between the bed and cab to make a bed work. But I am thinking it may just as easy to take some out and get a short bed for it.

Now my excitement level for the day has went down some. More work to get it how I want it but atleast now I would deffiantly have a reason to make a short bed dually OBS.

#11 ·
This is a truck I always wanted, so a deal came along last year for a 96 single cab 2wd dually with the 7.3L.
We converted it to a 4wd with a king pin dana 60 solid axle, Sky reverse shackle kit with 3" lift. The only real modifications were custom driveshafts. Everything else is bolt in (except the bolts holes don't exist). The tranny and transfer case is done and the suspension is going in now.

Darryl, good luck with the project, it's a lot of work and time hunting down parts, but they look awesome. Having a 4wd already, you are way ahead of the game.

I do know Big K is right though. When your done, you'll have a very rare truck. At least one of two :D

Bob

#14 ·
pretty sure to put a stock pickup bed on it the rear diff would have to move forward and the frame shortened a fuzz. all the cab and chassis were a bit longer than the regular pickup beds. i'm pretty sure that's right anyways.. Codys was the shorter cab and chassis and he had to move the diff forward a couple inches for it to look right. It looks so sweet though now that it's done!!! good luck with it!!

#21 ·
Yup I am not sure what I was thinking earlier when I typed we would have to lengthen the frame for a regular long bed. I guess I had a brain fart.:confused:

Actually have to take around 4 inches out of the frame to use a long bed. I actually just located one off a 97 for $400.00. Most likely just go ahead with the long bed so we can hurry up and get it done.

#27 ·
Forget running a dually bed on that truck.
Not only is there a length issue but the rear end is way too narrow and it looks like hell.
I had one, it just wasn't right. I finally threw the bed away and put a flatbed on it.

EDIT: Cody put a D80 in his, too, it's the correct width for the dually bed.

#30 ·
My father and I Had a F350 c-n-c 4x4 that had 164"? wheelbase. We took the front out of a dually bed and grafted another front of a bed on. It was 10' 2"! It was great. 2 660 grizzlys in the bed w the tailgate shut.

But yeah, it kinda looked goofy from the rear w a dually bed and the c-n-c rear.

Wish i had some pics of the dame thing:doh:

#31 ·
For my black truck I had to bring the rear axle forward 4". The short cab and chassis wheel base is 137". A regular dually is 133". So it's not as easy as cutting the rear of the frame off to fit a dually bed. The frame is also more narrow. You will have to make your own mounts, and narrow the axle perches if you go with a full width dually axle. I tried to read everything, but I may have missed if you already knew that. I built a complete solid pulling chassis on mine, but I've done tons of homework on these trucks. If there is anything I can help with, just let me know.

#37 ·
Finally located all the parts I needed today and they all should be here over the next couple days.

Only thing left to get is wheels for it and I am not sure yet what I am going to do there. I can a set of 22.5s with tires for around $1800.00 but I am not sure how well I would like that.

I am currently trying to locate a set of the factory Alcoas for it but not having to much luck yet.

#43 ·
The SC 1tons 4x4 were not as popular as a crew cab back in the day. Not alot of people wanted a 1ton single cab to tow or daily drive. So by 96 to 97 SC 1tons they were mainly ordered...... makes sense to me.....
Before the truck market went dead after 9/11 me and my dad sold these pickups left and right, a OBS (as we call it now) crew cab long bed F-350 4x4 was the cats meow. Not a single cab. Ford saw this and made them orders to save money. Not to mention my grandfather had to place an order for one in march of '97

#44 ·
Yes but they came from the factory that way. Ford actually built those trucks.

Ford NEVER made a 4x4 dually in the 94-97 style. It wasn't even special order from the factory. It was custom built. The dealerships had them converted:D

#46 ·
Sorry WhiteStroker, but that's 100% your viewpoint.
Nothing wrong with that, but it's only your opinion. Ford made tons of each model back then, you didn't have to order one or the other. They expanded production and options in '99 with the SD when everybody and their brother started buying diesels.

If you had to order one, it was because they sold everything as soon as it hit the lot. I bought my F-350 reg cab new off the lot in '96. I got the only one within 150 miles of me at the time. And I mean the only 7.3 Power Stroke. Dealers just could not keep them on hand...

Personally, I've seen waaaaaaaaay more regular cab F-350's than crew cab F-350 anyway. But I don't have any production numbers for a correct comparison.

And to correct Bigstroker. No 4x4 dually other than the commercial chassis trucks. ;)

#47 ·
Personally, I've seen waaaaaaaaay more regular cab F-350's than crew cab F-350 anyway. But I don't have any production numbers for a correct comparison.

And to correct Bigstroker. No 4x4 dually other than the commercial chassis trucks. ;)
Yea...Chassis Cab Trucks only...

As far as RC vs CC for F350's, they sold TONS more CC's than RC cabs...at least in the south...up north, might be a different because of PLOW packages...

But, I dont' have the numbers either on me...I did at one point....:doh:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.