Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

evolution of my sled..

8K views 40 replies 24 participants last post by  dirtboy25 
#1 ·
Well, I thought it would be neat to start a thread showing the different stages of my truck. From the beginning to current, it has been quite the journey. For the most part, the expensive stuff (lift etc) has stayed the same but almost every other component has been upgraded or swapped. At any rate, here it is...

This was the video that was 2 previous owners ago. It didnt look *that* bad, although the little wheels and big tires really date the truck.

it is found on youtube under the tag "monster excursion"

So, apparently this guy sells the truck to the guy I bought it from, who has an indoor soccer company. Must be a Miami Florida thing... I guess driving it around with his company logo sticks out, I mean, it is a "monster excursion" right?

Notice the "baby on board" sticker? Well, look below that and you will see the 100lb steps that the previous owner added to access the hatch. Pretty slick :poke:

He was *almost* successful at adding every JC Whitney part...

rock guard for a truck lifted 2ft over stock? check
rediculously small wheels for rediculously large tires? check
non working step bars? check
about every chrome piece available from ebay? check
clapped out looking headlights? check

well, here's where it starts to get nasty...im going to go ahead and list this ahead of time so noone pukes on their monitors or any crazy sh!t like that...what you are about to see is either going to impress you from creativity, make you bust out in tears of laughter, or cause endless vomiting from your inner stomach...

you have been warned...

We don't need no stinking stacks, we got twice pipes! lmao

Img going to refrain from posting the picture, but in the for sale ad, dood actually took a picture of his hand to show how far the tip actually came out the side... WONDERFUL IDEA!!11!!1!

Once people have regained their composure, I will say that the reasoning behind this was that he had 6 shocks under the rear of the truck, severely limiting the access for a rear mounted exhaust. Instead of taking off the 4 additional shocks, he opted for the less-than-moderate exhaust routing procedure. LOL

Now, I didnt go into this thinking I was going to drive it around as is, so I could live with the condition of the truck knowing it was all going to change...

So, after week 1 of ownership, I had put a few hours into salvaging what I was going to salvage and change up what I was going to change up...

20in rockstars, new 44 growlers, 05 conversion, removed rear step bar, removed old non working steps, removed bug guard, removed chrome handles, removed shock condoms, added amp steps, removed exhaust LOL etc etc..

There wasn't a picture of one of the beautiful mods the seller didn't disclose and that was the blinking O/D light. Basically, after week 1, I took the truck to Diesel Innovations in Houston and had Dave fix some loil eaks. Well, needless to say, the transmission (in no way Daves fault) decided to grenade itself, so I decided to put one of his built transmissions in it while it was there...:D thanks Dave! :ford:

Anyhow, I was driving the truck around and within my little fleet of cars, it stuck out because of the obvious size but it didnt really look the part...So, the hell with Toreador red, lets do something else...

check out that bling lol

So, here I am, trying to figure out which color I wanted. I couldn't do orange, yellow, or black, so my brain was off about candy red, perhaps a metallic blue, or something loud...While I was grocery shopping, I skipped over to the magazine aisle and started going through some of the truck mags thinking about ideas. While I was browsing over the aisle, I came across a magazine that had a picture of the 2011 Camaro synergy green. Needless to say, my color was chosen...

I had to find a custom paint shop that painted 18 wheelers or take the wheels off and roll it around on crawlers. Fortunately, I had one local...

clear coming tomorrow!

what a cool color!...

Im out of pics at the moment, but will take some more tomorrow or the upcoming day as I get updates...

thanks for reading this far!

See less See more
1 20
#5 ·
daryl, strokeit, bmac,

thanks guys, i appreciate your comments :)

the color was a tough one. i didnt want to go through all of the trouble of painting and keeping it a stock color and i didnt want to go overboard and do all the graphics and tribal/flames/two tone/whatever on the side so i had to find the happy medium.

its fresh, the limetime color from hok has too much yellow it in and the chevy spark yellow looked like puke green in daylight spectrums. the color that originally caught my eye was snakeskin green from the 08+ dodge viper but this color just a hair more "rich" in color.

for ####s and giggles, i went and found the exhaust pics from the guy. initially, he was almost kinda bragging about this exhaust while i tried to put it together in my head. then the pics came and it was like :poke: :doh: LOL

Attachments

#7 ·
Unbroken,

It wasn't as bad as I thought. Body shops are a little oppressed right now with the economy in general but I found this guy down the street and he used to do lifted trucks/hot rods when he was growing up. Of course, after a little twisting of arms LOL we settled just south of 5g's which is a STEAL considering the perplexity of the job. As you stated, its the right way to do a paint job with all the jams, doors off, rear glass cutout, etc etc.

Ive had alot less done for alot more when the economy was actually decent. The paint on my vette was almost double that years ago and theres 2X less real estate on that car than this truck.

#8 ·
Its gonna look awesome when its done. I like that color alot.

#14 ·
thanks guys! i truly appreciate the kind words...

ill try to get more pics as the shop works on it.

its looking at being completed at the end of the week/beginning of next week. will post updates as i get them!

#15 ·
Its going to look great! Can't wait to see a finished product.

That exhaust sure was original, I didn't notice what you did though. Did you loose some shocks and run it out the back?

#19 ·
I did end up axing some of the shocks. I have no idea what the guy used to tow or what but I only tow my racecars and my shifter cart so it definitely isn't necessary for my use..

Initially, I just dumped it but the massive bent d!ck tip ended up pointing the exhaust right at the diff.

seen here...

then i went and got another full exhaust and ran it out to the back with a 6in tip. you can faintly see the tip here behind the RR tire...the truck dwarfs the 6 in tip so i have an 8 incher LOL on order (in a non gay way).

I *did* see one of the Camaro's in real life prior to the magazine. Agreed, it was sharp.

#16 ·
I saw a camaro the other day on the other side of the highway in that green color. Looked really sharp and looked like it had some nice metalics in it too? Im sure it will look awesome when done!

#21 ·
joe,

yep, the flake in the color is sharp, makes it really pop on the edges. another good thing, its oem so 9/10 theyre single stage paint. you can play with the base coat color but this was your standard run of the mill job (if you can call it that).

one of the things that i took into consideration is that some colors look better on squared off or rounded cars. the camaros have some hard lines on the quarter panels and the b pillars and thats where you get alot of that "popping" which adds to the effect. the superdutys have that center ridge along the side plus the slightly flared fenders and bed so i thought it would be an instant hit.

#20 ·
seriously? 2 packs of bubble gum and a box of cracker jacks...plus shipping.

but you have to post a picture on the forum for all to see :pointlaugh: LOL

#23 ·
painted one of my old bikes that color...got a lot of compliments and everyone wanted to know the paint code. It was something that my dad and I mixed up about 5 years ago and now I am started to see cars and bikes coming from the factory like that.

Pretty shape, can't wait to see the finished product

#24 ·
I remember seeing that video of the "monster excursion" on youtube . I also remember seeing it for sale on ebay or something after the soccer guy had it. Side exhaust......... WOW. Anyways looks like it found its way into the right hands and looks great. I cant wait to see the finished product.

#26 ·
its inching its way to being done...

these pics were taken on an overcast day but you get the picture. still have to put front bumper on, the other headlight and mirror, realign some things, buff, and final detail. its looking sweet though..

#28 ·
thanks red,

while its probably not something i would drive to church, in person, its clean and grabs attention, which was the look i was going for.

outside of those pictures, i have to put my billet grille in, the 08 fender badges, the international decals, and some other odds and ends.

#29 ·
My dad's X needs a whole new paint job its makin me think lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.