Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Aeroforce Scangauge question???

3K views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  Strokersace 
#1 ·
I've got a 95 with a NAW4 pcm and my scangauge doesn't read oil temp. I've got it set on "platform 2" and of the 2 available oil temp settings, one has no reading at all and the other reads about 80* high. The CCT is tied to the one that doesn't have a reading.

Anyone have any experience with this? It's bugging the heck out of me cause it works in my other 95 with a TEE5 computer. Bought the dang thing as I wanted to keep an eye on oil temps as one of the paremeters.

Thanks guys!

#5 ·
Aeroforce also has a forum that you can post on. My PCM was orignally a NAW4 that has since been reflashed to a TDE1 and oil temp works fine.

#6 ·
This is direct from Aeroforce

"Ford must have used a non-standard Ford i.d. for the NAW4 pcm, or oil temp is not supported. There's not much info on these pre 1996 vehicles. I have not heard this complaint before so I don't have any more info."

#11 ·
If you get your PCM reflashed to a TDE1 I bet you will like the trans strategy better and hopefully that will fix your other issue.

#12 ·
Thanks Paul and Tom. I'll look into getting it reflashed.

Gonna test on another 95 w/ NAW4 that I've got in the driveway. Hadn't been able to test it out yet but just got new batteries for it the other day. Will know more next week if it's a fluke thing with my truck, or all NAW4's in 95 trucks.

#13 ·
Ok so finally got the batteries in my other 95 with a NAW4. On that truck the oil temp works exactly like it should. Go figure. So I'm gonna swap pcm's between the trucks tomorrow night and see if the issue follows the computers or stays with the truck.

#14 ·
Keep us posted you have me curious.

#15 ·
So I swapped pcm's tonight and I still have no reading. So the issue is with the truck. I've swapped out the sensor itself with no difference.

So if it was a sensor, it would throw the CEL. Or if there's a disconnect between the sensor and the pcm in the wiring, then you'd think it'd throw the CEL light too. But there's NO light at all.

So I'm wondering if there's a communication issue between the pcm and the OBD port? This truck is an early 95 (so it was built in late 94). Would that make a difference? The one I just tested on last night and tonight is a late 95. I've got another "early" 95 out here with the stock computer and it reads fine. I haven't put one of the NAW4 computers in it though, so I might try that tomorrow.

Any thoughts???

#16 ·
I would be trying to find someone with a scan tool to see what kind of results that has

#17 ·
Now I'm totally confused.

So I've got 3 1995 powerstrokes. 2 of them are early 95's (all metal radiators and built in late '94) and the other is a later 95 (built in 95, aluminum/plastic radiator).

So the other day I tested the oil temp reading on the later truck with the NAW4 and it read correctly. Got it up to the right them and even did a CCT on it. I pulled that computer out and hooked it up to my early truck that I've been having trouble with. No reading. So today, I decide to take that same computer and put in my other early truck (that has a TEE5 pcm and the temp reads fine). Put it in and no readiing. So I'm thinking, fine, it's an issue with the early powerstrokes and using a later (96 or 97 pcm).

However when I took that same NAW4 computer and put it back into the later truck, I don't get a reading at all now whereas I did a few days ago. WTF???????

I then pull the TEE5 out and hook it up to the later truck, and the temp reading works. Then I hook it up to the other early truck (the one that started this whole mess) and the oil temp reading woks fine on it too.

So why the hell will the TEE5 computer work fine in all 3 but the NAW4 doesn't work in the 2 early ones and used to, but doesn't anymore, in the later one?????

Hopefully that's not too confusing!! I'm just very frustrated. At least I know it's not a wiring issues in the truck. But I want to run the later 96 or 97 programming because of the better shifting, etc.

#18 ·
Ok so another update:

The late truck w/ NAW4 that the oil temp reading worked on at first but didn't later, got some more testing done last night. I realized that when I first checked it and the temp worked, I had the chip plugged in. But when I tested later, the chip was not hooked up and that's when it didn't work.

So I tested it again last night, no chip = no reading. Chip installed = correct reading.

Not sure why it would work with the chip installed but not w/o it?

Either way, the gauge is working properly, the pcm's are working as the should, just got to get a chip on my dually I guess in order for the oil temp to work on the scangauge.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.