Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Indiana Peeps, got a question.

460 views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  cowboy_dan 
#1 ·
I am looking at IUPUI in Indianapolis for Grad school. The tuition is great if I get in state. So the wife and I are looking to move from VA to Indy in the next year or less. I need to be within 40 min of the school, but really want to get a couple of acres so I can have a pole barn and some land for large garden. Is there some place for country boys to live in peace that near the city..
Any help would be great, we have started looking at houses already, but I am coming up finding stuff with way less than an acre, and the real estate people are almost useless.

#2 ·
Good luck finding something like that within 40 mins of downtown.

You could look at Hamilton County, Noblesville, Westfield, Fishers maybe all on the North side. (rich side of town, expensive homes)

Or Plainfield, Brownsburg, Avon on the west side.

Greenwood area on the south side.

Greenfield on the east side.

Your best bet might be the Lebanon area, (Boone County) has some rural areas. Since it is close to Interstate 65, you could be downtown in 30 mins. Traffic moves better from that direction. Zionsville is less rural and more expensive, but it is closer.

I hope this helps some.

#4 ·
Avon is really getting to be suburbia. All 1/8 & 1/4 acre plots. Heck, last time I was there I kept tryin to run red lights. They added at least three since I drive through on 36 last.
Brownsburg town council said a little while back that they want to be the carmel of the west side. And they have the taxes to prove it.

If I was going to get a place, it'd be Pittsboro, Lebanon, or Lizton.
If you don't mind a little longer drive, there's Greencastle Crawfordsville, Jamestown, or Mooresville.
There's a little tiny unincorporated town just outside Pittsboro called Maplewood. IIRC, there's a place with a barn & couple of acres for sale there. At least, there was around C'mas time.

#8 ·
Anderson is a little far for me.
Man the houses are stupid cheep, my wife talked to a builder and he told her we could have 3k SQFT 3 car garage 4 bed 3,5 bath in almost any config, brand new for about 130k. It' Rayn homes (spelling), They seem legit, but it has almost no property.....

We found some nice ones in the Brownsburg area but just not enough land for me. The wife is really liking it there though... we all know who wins that battle in the end.

Do yall know that area? would I have problems with working on the EX there.

#10 ·
Yeah, when I left 2.5 years ago, $$ for houses in/around brownsburg was starting to really go up fast.

Pittsboro is just a little ways west of there. brownsburg is exit 66 on I-74, and Pittsboro is exit 61. Lizton is exit 58 IIRC. Then Jamestown is the next exit west.
I lived in North Salem all through college and commuted. Country roads to Lizton where I caught I-74, took it to indy. If I was heading to work I took I-465 S to the old airport expressway. If I was heading to school, I went over I-465 and took 16th st to white river parkway and took that south to 10th or NewYork.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.