Bad stutter/shudder - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Home Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum > Super Duty 1999-Current > 6.0L Power Stroke Technical Info
Register Members List Timeslips Calendar Auto Loans Sponsors Becoming a Sponsor Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PowerStrokeNation.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-08-2010, 04:39 PM
machine
Breaks Stuff
Member's Gallery

Bad stutter/shudder

I've read through all the threads I could find, but can't seem to find a definitive answer.

Here's the deal, at ~1,400-1,600 rpms, if I start easing down on the go pedal to speed up without downshifting, the truck has a horrible shudder. It's kind of like when a gas burner is getting too much fuel, and not enough air. It's bad enough that it SHAKES the entire truck. I have to back out of it, and hit the go pedal enough to downshift. Anything over ~1,900 rpms is completely normal. Any ideas? Changed the fuel filters, and made no difference.
SCT X3 (Looney Tuned), Coolant Filter, Zoodad Mod, BB Mod, EGR Delete, CCV Reroute, 220 AMP Alternator, 4" Turbo-Back Exhaust w/ Cat Delete, 4" ProComp, 35" MudGrapplers, Shell (color-matched), Winch Mount/Brushgaurd, Warn 15k Winch, Taillight Gaurds, TV/DVD w/ Game Console Hookup
For Sale
Reply With Quote Go to the top
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2010, 05:15 PM
bismic1
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Re: Bad stutter/shudder

Any codes?
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARPs OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Balljoints;RACCCV6000;Updated HPOP fitting;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;plugs&standpipes;Fumo to;Harpooned;Quadzilla XZT Fuel Press;Blue spring;DashDAQ;PHP_FICM; RiffRaff boots;DCPower250A w/ Inverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;BPD WaterPump;SCT Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra w/ filter;SynchroMax
Old 05-08-2010, 06:47 PM
Smokin6-0
Scab
Member's Gallery

You posted the RPM range, but did not say what gear. Is this in all gears or just in OD?

2004 ECSB
1997 CCLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSDPlayer View Post
NASCAR ditched all the 7.3L response vehicles cause they couldn't get out to the accident scene fast enough. When lives matter, HP wins.
Old 05-08-2010, 07:41 PM
machine
Breaks Stuff
Member's Gallery

Don't notice it much through the gears, but in OD it feels like it'll shake the truck apart. Only code I get is for a faulty ECU in my overhead computer.
Old 05-09-2010, 04:00 AM
03F2506.0
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Check your injectors.... Mine did it bad in OD and I had to put a set of injectors in it.
RCD 190 CC Injectors
SCT XCal w/ RCD Tuning
EGR DELETE
Autometer GS Series: EGT, Fuel PSI, Trans, Boost
Air Dig II
Bully Dog RFI
Silverline 4 In Turbo Back - No Muffler
No Kitty - Zoodad - High Idle
315/75R16 Cooper Discoverer STT
Pure Diesel Power 8 In Tip
Old 05-09-2010, 04:52 AM
HerLifted350
Down N' Out
Member's Gallery

Send a message via AIM to HerLifted350 Send a message via Yahoo to HerLifted350 Send a message via Skype™ to HerLifted350

Mine did that right before it threw a code for an injector, if you were at a half throttle it felt like ya would shake apart, but when ya let off and put more into it, it would stop.... check all the connectors on your injectors when it's runnin... if you hit the right one, you will hear an audible pitch change... Just shut the truck off, and see if maybe it is just loose or you may need to replace it... Guys that worked on my truck just pulled the little U pin off, took it out, and put it back in... it had just worked its way out... Worth a shot, right...? Had me panicking that I would have to replace the injector, but someone here threw in checking that, and that's all it was. Good luck!!!
But where I come from, rain is a good thing

SLAPS MEMBER #207
Old 05-09-2010, 05:36 AM
Mpoage
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

mine does the same thing.

SCT X3 Tuned By Innovative Diesel
Straight Piped
Edge Insight
Old 05-09-2010, 05:41 AM
USMCpoolee
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Same here at 1500 rpm it shakes like hell
Old 05-09-2010, 02:12 PM
Smokin6-0
Scab
Member's Gallery

I am thinking you may have a problem with overdrive(transmission). Hopefully somebody with a little more knowledgle (Doug) will chime in.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:51 PM
USMCpoolee
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

if u find out what is wrogn with it let me know
Old 05-11-2010, 01:24 AM
Mustangl3
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

Mine does the same thing. I'm hoping its just the egr valve
Old 05-11-2010, 01:29 AM
Fasttimez
Word
Member's Gallery

The shutter you feel is your injectors not getting enough oil pressure to operate properly due to clogging/coking ( commonly referred to as injector sticking)...the reason it's only present in OD is because the engine RPM has steadied out and between about 1,200 and 1,700 RPM in OD the load on the engine is so low that any heavy clogging in oil passages in injectors causes them to misfire or ( stick the spool valves ) by changing engine load you force more oil through the injector at a higher PSI....this problem is common on cold starts and gets better as the truck warms up due to the oil getting thinner and flows better when hot....if your truck is doing it all the time, hot or cold than an alternative to injector replacement is switching to a 5w40 oil and adding a product like REV-X....but remember these are not permanent fixes...there's no way to clean the injector properly without removing it....
Old 05-11-2010, 01:21 PM
machine
Breaks Stuff
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasttimez View Post
The shutter you feel is your injectors not getting enough oil pressure to operate properly due to clogging/coking ( commonly referred to as injector sticking)...the reason it's only present in OD is because the engine RPM has steadied out and between about 1,200 and 1,700 RPM in OD the load on the engine is so low that any heavy clogging in oil passages in injectors causes them to misfire or ( stick the spool valves ) by changing engine load you force more oil through the injector at a higher PSI....this problem is common on cold starts and gets better as the truck warms up due to the oil getting thinner and flows better when hot....if your truck is doing it all the time, hot or cold than an alternative to injector replacement is switching to a 5w40 oil and adding a product like REV-X....but remember these are not permanent fixes...there's no way to clean the injector properly without removing it....
That actually makes a lot of sense, as how the truck doesn't fire right up when I turn the key over, anymore. It cranks over a few times before it starts, and runs. So, basically, what you're saying, is I have to pull the injectors?
Old 05-11-2010, 01:54 PM
Fasttimez
Word
Member's Gallery

The only way to fix this problem correctly is to either replace your injectors or pull them out, pull them apart, clean them and reassemble them ( But I wouldn't recommend pulling them apart unless you have experience at this ) Now a way to get some more life out of them is to switch to a 5w40 motor oil and add a lubricity additive like Rev-X or something...the thinner oil and the additive will counter act the deposit and coking buildup for awhile, but eventually you'll have to replace the injectors, but you can probably get about 50,000 miles of trouble free running, this will also give you some time to save for injectors....this was a poor design by Ford, the 7.3 injectors never had this problem despite being an oil operated injection system also...Ford scrapped this design starting with the 6.4....
Old 05-11-2010, 02:46 PM
machine
Breaks Stuff
Member's Gallery

Guess I'll get some Rev-X, as I've been running 5w-40 synthetic for quite some time.
Old 05-11-2010, 04:39 PM
Fasttimez
Word
Member's Gallery

Rev-X has worked miracles in alot of peoples vehicles...it's def. worth the price you pay, I should know cause I run it in my truck....it took care of my injector problem, but for how long...who knows...3,000 miles and counting so far with no problems...
Old 05-11-2010, 05:04 PM
Mpoage
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasttimez View Post
Rev-X has worked miracles in alot of peoples vehicles...it's def. worth the price you pay, I should know cause I run it in my truck....it took care of my injector problem, but for how long...who knows...3,000 miles and counting so far with no problems...
Did it cure your shuddering problem or just calm it down some
Old 05-11-2010, 07:29 PM
Fasttimez
Word
Member's Gallery

It totally cured my shuddering problem....but like I said, for how long is anybody's guess...I just added it this last oil change and after a couple minutes of running the problem was gone and hasn't come back...but i think the catch is you have to add this stuff to every oil change...which can add up pretty quick if you put alot of miles on your truck...I change my oil every 5,000 miles, I've put 3,000 on it since oil change + rev-X and no problems at all...
Old 05-12-2010, 12:41 AM
USMCpoolee
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

can you run rev x in automatics
Old 05-12-2010, 11:30 AM
Fasttimez
Word
Member's Gallery

This is not for a Transmission concern....this is added to your engine oil to stop injector sticking issues....but according to Rev-X you cannot run this in an automatic transmission, only systems like Manual Transmissions, Differentials, Power steering, Transfer case and Engine.... Etc...
Old 05-12-2010, 09:56 PM
USMCpoolee
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

I read that on their site, i have a automatic so i cant run it in my truck. How many miles do i got yet till I get stranded or anything?
Old 05-13-2010, 03:22 AM
Fasttimez
Word
Member's Gallery

Well that depends on how many injectors are really coked up and how many are compensating for the other ones....Try this, drive around with the OD cancelled, this will keep the RPM up for city or town driving, should run better also due to higher RPM...interstate driving ???? well that's totally up to you...
Old 05-15-2010, 12:48 AM
machine
Breaks Stuff
Member's Gallery

I think he was asking if you could run it in a truck with an automatic transmission, not actually in the tranny. Cuz that was gonna be my question, cuz their site is kinda confusiong.
Old 05-15-2010, 03:07 AM
Fasttimez
Word
Member's Gallery

Oh....it doesn't matter about what kind of transmission you have, I have an automatic...they're saying they don't want you to add it to the automatic transmission fluid...but you can run it in a truck with a manual or auto...and about canceling the OD when driving, that's to keep engine RPM up so you will have better oil pressure at your injectors...
Old 05-15-2010, 11:15 PM
machine
Breaks Stuff
Member's Gallery

Is their website the only place you can get it, or can you get it locally? I've looked at a few places here in town with no luck, but I live in a very small town.

And how much do you add, so I know how much to buy?
Old 11-05-2010, 02:36 AM
6.0strokin
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

mine does the exact same thing took it to a transmission shop today and they said nothing was wrong with the trans its an injector issue somewhere and the injector is either going out or the little gasket under the injector is leaking....
Old 11-05-2010, 02:58 AM
USMCpoolee
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

mine ended up being injectors
Old 11-05-2010, 05:08 AM
DieselStroke
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Gray 03 did you get it replaced?
Scangauge II by Linear Logic
Straight pipe exhaust
Westin Bull Bar
Lights

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 143
$Bill, 03F2506.0, 06 KR, 06KingRanch6.0L, 06stroker250, 07 STROKER, 08psdbeast, 1sd, 2ddunes, 530farmboy, 6.0ops, 6.0strokin, 99-350, 99whitestroker, albaugmt, Arctic Fox, B Man, bad moose, bigtexx1, billc, bismic1, casey2carter, casper7.3, celsiusplumber, CenTexStroker, chris-rector, ddjaxn, dexleo2, Dieselholic, DieselStroke, disnet, dixieland-diesels, DLinzy, dmartin0423, DoneDunIt, Doodah, ducatirider944, dutchymount2, Epic, F-250-Owner, fastfish1967, Fasttimez, fbilly420, ford03six0, fullbull315, genuineford, Greg373, Griff d, hag000, hawkeye, HerLifted350, highlandre, huck2080, irontx25, jake4747, jcyr375, JD F350, jessduen1, jim dandy, John E. Stroker, jon101, justintimemoto, k-bmiller, katostroker, KingRanchSick.0, Kountryboy 6.0, KPSquared, kruser02, lake speed, lbeinks, LBZ_Duramax, machine, Millerfarms, mimetic, mini9288, mintonwired, mjp, Mpoage, Mustangl3, mustangplace, nadekeys, nitrogen, Nottarts, OBSWIZ, offroadinginaz, oldbluef250, Orthrus, outrage, O_O, peixinho, PokinDaPower, Powerdude, predmech, ProjecT 9, prox445, PSDfan99, raftert63t7, range91, rb69, redline73, REV-X, riversidenl, rob40cal, Roz, RRF985, sanocafire20, sdemerais, shpines, skippy969, Smokin6-0, speeddemon31176, sprale, stackedstroker, steve426, stroke of luck, strokinansmokin, Super Duty Dude, suprdzlduty, SWVa, TAMU_PSD, tazman632000, texascadillac42, theSLEEPER, thompson238, truckpullin_75, TWEETER, tyler731, U235a4, uhoh0573, unimog1300, USMCpoolee, vapstroke, Vdryv, waltenbach, whitestroker, whytry, WichitaF250, william_04_x, X2elite, YohanSegaBowser, YoungMT Hick, zx800x