Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Oil Spill Ramifications

8K views 156 replies 38 participants last post by  PTSUPERD 
#1 ·
Let's hope for the wildlife, fishing industry, and for everybody else who depends on the Gulf for there lively hood that this thing isnt as bad as they say. They are talking like it could eclipse Valdez.

I also hope that the whole thing doesnt turn political. It does make you wonder since the White House decided to halt all new exploration in the gulf....

Wonder if we will see it at the pump as well?

#17 ·
Just about every show on NPR has spent a great deal of time on this and I have learned so much about drilling in the past week from NPR that it has made my head spin. From the reports on NPR, they had all the proper safety equipment, it was just a "perfect storm" to quote an oil analyst. And you all know this thing was political about 13 seconds after it happened. The real libs were looking for a chance to push the off shore drilling plans off the table. Plus another mining disaster (two killed in cave in) this will split the tender bipartisan consensus we had only a few weeks ago.

#18 ·
Seems like your on the right track for thinking maybe but NPR is a bunch of hokypoky.

Most oil analyst don't have a clue about a drilling rig either. Matter of fact atleast 65-70% of the people in the industry have no stinking clue about "how it works".......

#19 ·
What I find funny is how everyone is saying the only people who would have known what truly happened is the 11 that mysteriously got lost at sea.

And your 100% right, rigs just dont go boom. Something led up to this and everyone is just staying hush hush. There is alot more to this story than what is being reported...

#20 ·
The guys on NPR were mostly safety guys that had what it sounded like decades of experience drilling in the real world. They were not at all liberal either. I think most of the listeners are left of center, but the content is really well done. For instance, I lost the station today and ended up listening to Rush. Seriously learned zero about drilling, just a bunch of horse crap about raising the level of the Gulf. Seriously, after a half of an hour I couldn't get any other stations in I just turned it off and talked to my dog. I think NPR gets a bad rap sometimes. Plus they have Click and Clack the Car Talk brothers on Saturday's, Those two are the funniest som btchs I have ever listened to in my life.

#21 ·
Hey, I'm not out to keep disagreeing with you here but fwiw 95% of all safety "cops" in the drilling industry are a complete joke!!

I wish ALL of you guys could have just listened to Mark Levin, he had a petroleum engineer on that just explained it down to my very word in my first post in this thread. In more detail of course.

Bottom line, this "explosion" is as close to impossible to happen as a 18 wheeler blowing all 18 tires out at once without human Deliberate Destructive Intervention.

There, lol, I said it!!

#26 ·
Why is it that those on the right jump up immediately and start talking about conspiracy theories and sabotage?

I heard Limpbaugh implying the same thing yesterday.

Amazing.

Simply amazing. :rolleyes:

#29 · (Edited)
lol....and bush took down the towers....or so some would have us believe.

if bush was still president, some would be saying he had the rig blown up...

its not just the right...and you know that.

#27 ·
the way i understood it from some friends of mine that are on another rig in the gulf for transocean the well was not completed they were tripping out for running casing...................... an there is still a BOP on that hole... the BOP malfunctioned and the pipe rams and blinds did not close

#36 ·
Lets not go down the road to attacks guys. I personally dont think there was a conspiracy to take out a almost billion dollar rig, kill 11 men, and spew untold thousands of gallons of oil into the sea. Now that said, the government could be dragging their feet on containing this problem to meet their own agenda. I can see that. My buddy was on that rig hours before it blew. He lost two friends. He told me thes situation that occured can happen pretty easily.

#37 ·
I don't see the government dragging their feet, for any reason. The stakes are way too high.

I would hope we learned a big lesson along those lines after Katrina.

As far as your buddy losing friends.....that sucks and I feel for him. :(

#42 ·
It's Getting Worse (click here)

VENICE, La. – A sense of doom settled over the American coastline from Louisiana to Florida on Saturday as a massive oil slick spewing from a ruptured well kept growing, and experts warned that an uncontrolled gusher could create a nightmare scenario if the Gulf Stream carries it toward the Atlantic.

#43 ·
Its all bad news, from the loss of life to the cause to the environmental impact to the ammo it gives the anti drilling crowd.

Until they figure out how to stop the flow I say light up the spillage and let it burn.
Might as well raise the global temp another degree or two and give those other nutjobs something to talk about.

Gandy disclaimer :poke: , I made no mention as to the anti's / nutjobs political party affiliation or wing status.

#45 ·
The NG coming up to the top will just disperse. But yes the oil floating in the Ocean is 100% usuable!!

Start scoopin' it up. 42gallons of that stuff gets yeah $85. LOL.

#47 ·
Somebody needs to do SOMETHING. Someone in position needs to just make a decision. They are spending all this time trying to figure out the best fix. This is a situation where even a wrong decision would be better than no decision. Do something, if someone comes up with a better plan, switch to that.

#48 ·
Actually Andy, they have been trying different things, non-stop, since it happened.

And for PUZZYdiezel.............although they aren't admitting to safety problems, at least they aren't trying the cockamamie................................ "It was blown up by environmentalists." :rolleyes:

BP Statement (click here)

WASHINGTON -- BP's chairman is rejecting criticism that his company's safety record played a role in the drilling rig explosion and oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico.

Lamar McKay is putting the blame on "a failed piece of equipment."

He tells ABC's "This Week" that he doesn't know how much oil is flowing from the well off the Louisiana coast. He says that estimates of 5,000 barrels a day are uncertain.

McKay said BP is "throwing every resource that we've got" to try to plug the well a mile beneath the sea.

#49 ·
All blame,fix, cause, aside... this is reallyy turning into sickening ordeal. The last I heard is it may take several more days to stop the flow. It hurt to see the eco an economical cost unfold b4 us this way. The worst won't be seen this year as far as impact.

#50 ·
This is really bad for everyone.

It's bad for the men who make their living in that region working those waters.

It's bad for the wildlife.

It's bad for fuel prices.

It's bad for Conservatives that want to drill more.

It's bad for the moderate Liberals that want to see responsible drilling.

It's bad for Liberals that want to see the planet protected.

It's bad for the president's support of policies that allow more drilling.

It's bad for seafood lovers.

It's bad for outdoor lovers.

NPR has had brilliant coverage of this topic.

#55 ·
One simple thing no one on here has stated yet....all of this is controlled by a series of ball and check valves. They are on the bottom of the floor which is about 5,000 ft or so...almost a mile...which humans cant dive that far down...to much pressure. So they have to send a robot down there to turn the valves off...but they are having troubles with the robot....they cant get it down that far. I wouldnt be suprised it diesel tops 4 dolllars a gallon again.

#62 ·
I haven't been keeping up with this, so I don't know what kinda trouble they are having with the ROVs. I do know that the ROV we have on board is rated to 10,000 ft. I would assume that the ones they have onsite would be rated for the depth. It could be more of an equipment failure on the part of the ROVs. They do tend to break down quite often.

#56 ·
there is a lot more too it other then ball an check valves there is no ball valves there is one check valve on the kill line...... the blow out preventer(BOP) is a series of differant valves gate valves pipe rams blind rams there hydrolic controlled.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.