Electric fuel pump relay control - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Home Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum > F-250 & F-350 1986-1997 & Other Ford Trucks > 1994-1997 Power Stroke Technical Info
Register Members List Timeslips Calendar Auto Loans Sponsors Becoming a Sponsor Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PowerStrokeNation.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-24-2010, 12:49 AM
JAKE
PSN nerd
Member's Gallery

Electric fuel pump relay control

GRRR im so Fin frustrated with controlling a electric pump. I have gone the oil pressure switch to control the relay and they would last a year or so and die, now I have gone to having it off the alternator and now I have had a string of alternator issues. My next thought is control the relay off the idm power, is there anybody else that has done this? it either that or i was thinking about swapping to a SD pcm just to have the pump control. I have had the last alternator last about a year and this one lasted 3 months. the one before that lasted like 6 or 7 years.

00 F350CC 4x4 I NEED A FLATBED FOR IT!!!!! LET ME KNOW IF YALL KNOW ANYBODY THAT HAS ONE

TOTAL DIESEL PERFORMANCE

STOCK HORSE OF TEXAS ASSN

SOUTHWEST REINED COWHORSE
Reply With Quote Go to the top
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2010, 12:51 AM
nashvillebill
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Re: Electric fuel pump relay control

Use the red/light green from Fuse #22 that went to the fuel heater.

I don't even use a relay. I power the fuel pump directly from this wire.
'94 F250 supercab 4x4, original owner, 4.10LS, DIY elec fuel, Tymar air, Beans tunes on VA 4 position chip, Adrenaline HPOP, VDO boost/pyro/outside temp gauges, Ford digital AIC, DPPI downpipe, gutted EBPV, modded turbo ped, Con OFE, add-a-leafs front/rear, Monroe Reflex shocks, Milemarker 449SS hubs...coming soon: 6.0 IC...wish list: Stage 2's
Old 04-24-2010, 01:01 AM
Tom S
-Moderator-
Member's Gallery

Send a message via AIM to Tom S

I also control my relay off the old fuel heater circuit.
Aeroturbine exhaust, Aeroforce OBD Scan Gauge, Truxedo tonneau cover
Dana 60 Precision Metal Fab RSK and SD Springs
Old 04-24-2010, 01:41 AM
JAKE
PSN nerd
Member's Gallery

Sounds good I will have to get on that. I got time I bet its gonna be wedsday or thursday next week to get a replacement from DB

THANKS!!
Old 04-24-2010, 10:45 PM
speeddemon31176
Demon Dually
Member's Gallery

Send a message via AIM to speeddemon31176 Send a message via Yahoo to speeddemon31176

Just a thought here but if you are burning up relays and fuses and have to keep finding a new location to pull power from, YOU HAVE AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM :) . Start looking over your wiring to your fuel pump for a short / open somewhere along the line. You shouldn't be having that many issues or issues at all if you have it wired up correctly.
97 F-350 XLT CC DRW 4X4 PSD, 285/75-16 Custom bumpers, Gauges-boost/egt/trans, Swamps IDM, 3.5"dp- 4" exh., 3" Body lift, ES bushings/mounts, Built trans, billet conv, B&M pan, Hayden cooler, Adrenaline, stage 2's, IC, H2E, E-fuel
ARP's, 910's, Smith Bros. to come
Old 04-25-2010, 03:37 PM
JCart
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Good idea on the fuel heater for power supply. Iirc on my 96 I hooked directly from battery fused, the trigger was from key on only circut from fuse box inside cab. The ground wire I ran through Hobbs oil pressure switch set up on the oil filter auxilliary port. As I recall needed 2 psi oil pressure to trigger ground....
jrc
Red 97 F250 CC 3:55, D60 Air Locker front, 175/80s, T500, TW files, Tymar, SD I/C, 6.0 fan, E-air, E-Fuel, SRK, SD springs front/rear, 145 litre rear tank (now ZF-5 ).
White / Silver 96 F250 4x2, SCSB E4OD, 4:10 stock for now mods to install: D60, engine stuff.
Truck pix write ups
Old 04-26-2010, 05:48 AM
old man dave
Terminator Nation
Member's Gallery

You should be drawing relay power only for control from alternator, heater or ignition switch run hot. I used ignition switch run hot myself without any problems.

The fuel pump power should be from battery/fuse/relay/fuel pump/ground. This should be your high current draw pump power circuit.

The relay power should be ignition run position hot/fuse/relay control/ (optional inertia switch)/oil switch ground/. Should be low current draw for your power sensing/relay control and presenting a low current load to the relay power source.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:36 AM
Aljay
Don't EFN worry about it
Member's Gallery

Main power from battery, trigger is from a key on source from under hood fuse panel.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:31 PM
OBSWIZ
Sponsor
Member's Gallery

You can also mod the underhood fuze box by adding a additional relay and using fuze #5 wire as a triger...works great and looke factory.

Dealer for: Full Force, Tymar, BTS, Icon, Pure Performance, TW tunes, just to name a few.

email: ctperformanceinc@yahoo.com
Old 04-26-2010, 06:55 PM
JAKE
PSN nerd
Member's Gallery

My relay is in the factory fuse box, I think there was something up with my alternator and it cooked the coil in the relay. I am going to power the relay coil off the fuel bowl fuse for now. The way its wired it looks very clean, the fuse is also in the factory box off of one of the empty spots I took advantage of.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:48 AM
joedown
PMS medication required
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAKE View Post
My relay is in the factory fuse box, I think there was something up with my alternator and it cooked the coil in the relay. I am going to power the relay coil off the fuel bowl fuse for now. The way its wired it looks very clean, the fuse is also in the factory box off of one of the empty spots I took advantage of.
That's the way I did it. Looks the best that way and so far haven't had any issues.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 029.jpg (86.6 KB, 53 views)
96 F350 4x4 XLT 7.3 59,428 orig miles, Stage I's, Adrenaline, IDM, gutted EBPV, Tymar intake, Banks intercooler, downpipe, gauges, TW 4 position chip, John Wood Towmaster, Ford 08 diff cover, Oil gauge mod, Electric fuel conversion, RSK, OH console, Durn cat done run off an I can't find it.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:30 PM
Shovel
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvillebill View Post
I power the fuel pump directly from this wire.
This still working for you? What would be the drawbacks of not having a relay?

Seems to simple to be true.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:19 PM
csp
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Your main power burning up the relay shouldn't have anything to do with whatever is triggering it. Very little amperage is going through the trigger circuit.
Old 10-26-2012, 04:11 PM
Shovel
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

But does the pump require that much amperage to make a relay necessary?
Old 10-26-2012, 04:46 PM
biggreen96
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Yes a relay is necessary. The pumps can pull up to 30 amps and the wire for the fuel bowl heater is was to small for that. Need 10 gauge wire min. to the pump
afe stage 2 intake
dp to 4" straight pipe
studs, springs, pushrods
srp1
intercooler
electric fuel convertion
238/100
dp-tuner f6
T-4 mount and s470.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:42 PM
Shovel
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggreen96 View Post
Yes a relay is necessary. The pumps can pull up to 30 amps and the wire for the fuel bowl heater is was to small for that. Need 10 gauge wire min. to the pump
Hmmmm, that might explain why my 18 gauge wire from my Bean's fuel system is now fried.

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 44
2000f350v10, 79Ford7.3, 91F250XLIDI, 97PowerJoker250HD, 97psd16.5mpg, baggedbug, biggreen96, birddog55, CAV64, chunk99, csp, Dustin F2504x4, Elgin MGP, EPTF350, f350red, farmall16, fyrchieftx, Got4wd, gould9, Hijo202, jason mondy, jtsparks2, madpogue, maxndozer, melqdy, mghay, mikes95powerstroke, nm50, NutFarmer97, PsRumors, rodeo_man, rollingthunder, rpm-inc, RTJ1S, rusty1161, Shovel, smokinstroker, speeddemon31176, tdrracing, Tom S, turboaz2, venomusduck, weareweird69