Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Anyone using a custom ZF6 shift stick ?

22K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  me2 
#1 ·
I'm looking for ideas regarding the shift stick on a ZF6. Something that does a bit of a Z so that the lever bottom is further back and more straight up and down.

Any ideas ?

Thanks

#4 ·
I don't think I'm looking for a shorter shift pattern. I'm just looking for a lever with a different design, so that its more back and upright.

Is everyone using the stock ZF6 stick ?

What does the stick look like for the GM ZF6 ?

Edit: tell me more about the short shift kit anyway ? Does it make the pattern smaller ?

#5 ·
ya hints the name! Just playin, ya it shortens the throw of the shift up quiet a bit. I dont know exactly how much from say 1st to 2nd but i get in my play truck and then in my 450 and its like shifting a 18 speed. seems like your always shifting. It makes it nice and close

#8 ·
been there, tried that. the stock stick has a rubber dampener inside it. makes "manipulating" it a real pain in the hind end.

I would think if you made a Z bracket like you're talking about, you're going to throw a monkey wrench into the works.

I would say the short shift brought the throw down about 50% or so, so if your throw from 1st to 2nd was 12" +/-, your down to 6 or so.

#9 ·
Does the short kit make the transmission harder to shift ? Ie do you miss gears because of it ?

I still want the shifter more up and down, I think.

I am going to mount an Eaton shift knob on it with switches to control my exhaust brake and the cruise control and its meant to be used on a more up and down stick.

#17 ·
where can a man get a short throw shifter at? I tried that mid west transmissions link last time but I didn't find it.

#20 ·
Can you put the short shift kit on without pulling tranny?

#21 ·
Yes, there is a write up on here. I cant remember who though?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.