Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

6.0 Wont Start

61K views 32 replies 25 participants last post by  LiftedATX 
#1 ·
Its a 04 has 101,000 miiles on it. it wont start. it has fresh oil and filter.also a new fuel filter. trys to start on the first time when it turns over but after that it seems like it has no fire. any info would help. thanks

#4 ·
Is it getting fuel? Take the filter off on the motor and turn the key, see if the bowl fills up.

#10 ·
Did you ever get it running? Just happened to me. I have an 05. Apparently the 04 and 05 models had a design flaw in the High Pressure Oil Pump system. Any leak in the system tells the engine to shut down or not start. Very labor intensive. My job is $1,450.00. Had a crack in an oil libe and two leaking seals. My truck only had 40,000 miles but is a few months beyond the five year mark so no warranty.

Go to: Office of Defects Investigation (ODI), File A Safety Complaint and file a complaint against Ford. If we all do so NHTAS may issue a recall and force Ford to cover repairs.

#8 ·
did you bleed the air from the fuel system(the top filter) if not then that will cause a no start due to a air lock. loosen the top fuel filter cap and turn the key on to activate the fuel pump. helps if you have some help so that you don't spill fuel everywhere. thats where I would start. hope that helps.

#9 ·
its very easy to test the ficm, theres a lil cap that comes off with two allens. Soon as you take the cap off you will need a volt meter. If you have a 4 pin ficm Test the pin closer to the fender and should read 70 volt i believe? Then have someone start the truck, if your voltage drops will cranking you have a bad ficm

#13 ·
I am having the same problem. I replaced the fuel filters hoping that was it but no luck. I have an E450 motor home with a 6.0L power stroke so everything is cramped. I would like to know how to get a hold of the tool that reads the diagnostic codes. Based on what I have read from this forum it sounds like it is the FICM. Now my question is where is it located on an E450. Any help would be great.

#14 ·
Hello, I'm new here. So maybe it's not the right place to ask - could not create a new thread. I also have a no start problem. So I have had some disassembled among others. then I have a question - I desassembled the high pressure oil pipe - which I later read on a webpage that I could not thake apart - and if I did I should obtain some new.. should it be necessary??
they look fine :eek:)

#15 ·
Before anybody jumps on him LOL , he's from across the pond so he's being legit.

#18 ·
There a few quick things you can check.....Pull oil filter housen off take out the filter and get someone to crank over the engine and see if oil filter housen fills up...if it does ...go to your ICP sensor(Right Valve Cover) towards the front Screw it out and get you a fitting that will fit that size hole .....you will also need a gage that reads at least 500psi ....thats what it takes to fire the engine on the high pressure oil system...you can make this tool for little of nothing with stuff from your hardware store!If you have a programmer some of them will let you see PIDS or Engine Data!!! You can monitor you ICP from there as well IF you programmer is one of the upper end ones !!!FICM should read 48 volts...FICML should read at least 12.98 and FICMR as well....cranking speed needs to be at least 500 rpms or better!!!Then you havent even hit the fuel system yet !!! Halla abck and let us know what you found !!!

#20 ·
had to replace the hpop the first time bc of no start and the ficm this last time bc of no start. any mechanic with a good scanner should be able to tell you which one and might charge you $50 diagnostic fee.

#26 ·
Truck always started 2006 6.0 f-350, but now live upstate ny but I lived in NJ in all kinds of temperatures before this for 6 years, I am thinking I need a block heater, though I never needed one before! Started it 2:00 in the morning like after 20 times but than finally started n now it's 40 degrees n it wants to start but won't, should I buy that oil dipstick heater or is that old school? Thx

#27 ·
The 6.0 has a heater in it, need to plug into it.

#29 · (Edited)
It COULD be the FICM having unstable voltage. By that, I mean the 48 volts that drive the injectors isn't staying up there in the near 48 volt level...at first fire it has it, but the unstable FICM voltage drops quickly to below 30 volts....won't fire at that point. But, it could also be "stiction" happening. Spool valves in the injector gunked up or worn out. If you have access to someone who has a decent diagnostic meter that will show engine data, observe the FICM synch, Synch, RPM, and all the DICM voltages, along with ICP actual and desired pressure and IPR vavle duty cycle. IPR cycle should not go much above 50% for a healthy system...synchs should both read "yes" and rpm should be registering when cranking. All Ficm voltages should be fairly stable...a couple volts drop ain't bad...but if the 48 volts drops down close the 30, then it's the FICM....If the ICP actual never gets to 500psi minimum, then it is a problem with the high pressure oiling system somewhere. Even a small leak at one injector top o-ring can keep you from getting that 500psi reading that the PCM wants to see. If it doesn't get that, then PCM doesn't enable the injectors to fire.
If no RPM is registering, then it is no crank sensor or cam sensor registering....look there.
If either of the synchs ("synch and FICM synch") are "no" then cam or crank sensor is probable cause.

John

#31 ·
I have a 07 F350, which has had all of these no start issues, and every time I changed something it would start and run great but when I shut it down it would not restart. I have been through just about everything(HPOP, IPR, ICP, dummy plugs, fuel injectors) tested FICM, and low pressure oil pump. Now this has turned into Fords problem, the dealer has been in possession for over a month, they claimed it was the FICM, they changed it and still has the problem, then after a consultation with FOMOCO, they decided it was the low pressure oil pump and cover. Just talked with them and that's not the problem, they are looking at pulling in a master tech because they are stumped as well. They are hopeful that they will have it done by this weekend, if so I will be posting the eventual fix here for others.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.