My 7.3 is running cold.... - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Home Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum > Super Duty 1999-Current > 7.3L Power Stroke Technical Info
Register Members List Timeslips Calendar Auto Loans Sponsors Becoming a Sponsor Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PowerStrokeNation.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-27-2010, 06:55 AM
norwegiandiesel
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

My 7.3 is running cold....

Engine running cold

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi there Greetings from Norway!!

I have a 2001 Excursion 7.3 Powerstroke with 105.000 miles on it. This winter has been quite hard here in Norway with temperatures below 14 deg F *(-10 deg C)

For that reason I changed to the Dieselsite.com 203 deg F thermostat and put a wintercover up in front. I've also installed aftermarked gauges (oiltemp, watertemp, exhaust temp and boost)

The last couple of weeks the temperature has rised quite a bit,
and it's now around 40 deg F. Still I cant manage to get my engine temperature up. I have enough hot air in cabin, but for the health of my engine I would like to see some higher engine temps. FYI I have a new thermostat installed (203 F), waterpump looks OK, fan clutch seems OK, plenty of hot air in the cabin heater but still I can't manage to get EOT above 160 F and ECT 120 F. This is with outside temp at around 40 F and the grill covered with a wintercover.
Is there some way I can run my diesel hotter?? I've heard some people talking about completely removing fan, but that seems alittle scary to me. Is it safe to run without it?

My Excursion is not used for any towing or plowing, I'm just a daily driver.

I've tried searching the forum for any advise, and I've checked waterpump and fanclutch as per instructions but without luck. Hopefully someone has experienced the same problem as me and came up with a solution

Best regards from Norway!!

Frode
Reply With Quote Go to the top
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2010, 10:29 AM
Stringer Driver
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Re: My 7.3 is running cold....

My first thought is thermostat is stuck open. Why did you go to the 203* anyway? Yes you can run without the fan, if it is the fan you would be hearing a roaring from it.

92 34ft NUWA 5th wheel TT
Old 03-27-2010, 11:37 AM
norwegiandiesel
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

The reason for changing to the 203 was that I suspected my old thermostat to be broken. I only had aftermarked gauge for the EOT at that time and could barely get 120* at the oil. Living in cold climate I decided to go for the 203* thermostat and at the same time I installed a aftermarked watertemp gauge with the sender mounted in the 3/4 port in the thermostat housing. I never knew the exact watertemperature before installing the gauge, but at least after changing my thermostat my EOT passes 150*.

Like You said, maybe my new thermostat is not working properly either? Hmmm... Seems like I have to change it again... So with ambient air temperature at around 40's what reading should I have on the engine coolant and oil? For example with the original 195* stat?
Old 03-27-2010, 11:46 AM
Ron's power stroke
FORD..THE ROCK CRUSHER
Member's Gallery

this is strange...we get down 20-30 bellow quite often here and i run a 203 stat with no winter cover and the temps are just fine..if the fan spins freely then there is no need to re move the fan..if it isnt running hot it will not turn on any ways...if you cant spin it by hand..then a fan clutch is need....could be a bad spring in the clutch as well making the fan come on at lower temps...
Early 99 7.3 F350 auto,TN T-4 mount with a s467 for air,H-11's stud's SRP 1.1 for oil all supplied by unlimited diesel..beehives, DI push rod's, new alliant 315/200 hybrids,Driven diesel fuel system with a fuel lab 41401. ...tuned by Gearhead..

88 F250 7.3 IDI plow truck 112k - bone stock.
Old 03-27-2010, 12:12 PM
norwegiandiesel
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

The fan is moving freely. I can feel a slight resistance when turning it. When the engine is idling I can hear the fan increase speed for about 5-10 seconds once in a while. Maybe once every minute or so.

What temps do You see on coolant and oil?
Old 03-27-2010, 12:20 PM
Ron's power stroke
FORD..THE ROCK CRUSHER
Member's Gallery

on a cold day i see around 180 on a trip...she doesnt get that high running around local...
Old 03-27-2010, 12:23 PM
norwegiandiesel
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron's power stroke View Post
on a cold day i see around 180 on a trip...she doesnt get that high running around local...
Is that engine oil or engine coolant temperature, and at what ambient temperature?
Old 03-27-2010, 02:01 PM
Coltaine
Science rulz
Member's Gallery

Send a message via AIM to Coltaine

What kind of distances do you drive before switching off the engine?

My truck rarely gets 100% up to operating temp, but it sure gets warm enough. The meter in the dash will show operating temp, but just two minutes with the engine off and it'll decrease significantly. So if you do a lot of short distance jumps like 20-30 Km's that's not really enough to get it 100% warmed up.

I usually go road tripping a couple of times a month just to run the engine through it's paces, do a couple of hard pulls and stuff.

But for what it's worth, this winter I rarely did that, only like once ,and we had around those temps, slightly warmer, with it sticking to around -10*C.

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 53
123rday68, 1BadF350, 2dedge, 7.3driver55, 97ps, 99oilburner, b93pgt, Bleedgreen, bls, BURNSY_B_STROKIN, celltech, cj45lc, Cody48, Dangyo, DirtyGator, ESS8CH, f250towrig, Fgmag01, fordman2121, Gibrid4x4, gramicko, happyhour, hondaracer315, IEBahner, Jamie5714, jgmood050, JK Fab, jlau6888, juvenile9, loc712, mstadler13, northid710, norwegiandiesel, okiebindernut, portlandareae28, powerstroke02, powerstroke727, PSD POWER007, pwrstrk4x4, Rhino16, Roadspiker, shortstrokin, squeeks, Stroke_This, Suber 7.3, SWVa, theoldgirl1990, TimberPro, turfsupdon, TWIM, umpalumpa1985, wds1279