Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

'84 Powerstroke Bronco

52K views 163 replies 57 participants last post by  Power Smoker 
#1 ·
I've begun my powerstroke bronco project beyond the point of no return, so I figure I might as well show it to you guys. My dad gave me his '97 Powerstroke as partial payment for some work I did to his '07 Powerstroke, and figured I'd swap the drivetrain into a bronco since I have no need for 2 crew cab long beds.

Sorry these pics are crappy. Better ones are on the way. Here's test fitting the 40's I plan on running. My goal is going as low as reasonably possible without rubbing at full flex. Yes, I'm "trimming" the fenders. It looks like I need at least 8" of lift for proper tire clearance. I'll know more in the weeks to come. The tire under the door is a 31" for reference.

I've got the engine sitting in place now. I'm starting it out as bone stock other than exhaust and intake (maybe a 6 position chip) with 201K original miles on it. Before the tranny goes in this weekend I need to install a new rear main, and up pipe gaskets.

I'm also planning on using as much of the truck interior as possible including the dash, front carpet, front seats, door panels, etc. As soon as this thing is on the road I plan on having it as my daily driver so I can so some more serious mods to the '72 to where it won't have to be driven every day. Nothing too fancy in mind, but I think it will be fun at any rate.

See less See more
#8 ·

Here's another crappy pic for everybody. I started the firewall graft last night so all the powerstroke electronics and dash will bolt right in. Again, more pics with better lighting on the way this weekend. Hopefully a lot of the interior will be in by tomorrow afternoon.

#10 ·
All the F-350 drivetrain will be used. D-60 up front, 10.5 rear, leafs all around. I'm going to run the stock 4.10's for now until the budget allows for lockers and 4.88's or even deeper. I'll probably paint it before I worry about gears though. I'm thinking dark charcoal gray, but we'll see when paint day arrives.

#15 ·

It's pretty easy to see here what part of the powerstroke firewall had to be moved over for the electronics to work

Here's an outside view of the parts of the firewall I had to change to make all the '97 stuff work

no more twin I beams. getting ready for the D-60:evil

#20 ·
I'm only starting off with chip, intake, and exhaust, so it's not going to be a wonder horse or anything. The stock frame is surprisingly heavy duty, so for now it will stay stock other than front spring mounts. If I ever crank it up much I'll consider reinforcing the frame, but so far, so good on that stuff. I'm definitely excited about the bottom end torque though since she'll be running 40's with only 4.10's to begin with.:eek:

#21 ·
Looks great, keep the pics coming.

#23 ·
Thanks again everybody. I'll be posting more pics soon, but the new dash is all but ready to go in, just a couple more random tabs to weld on. I'll try to get the dash in this week, but getting Murphy ready for the Ennis TX event will take priority over this project. I do have the pedals, brake master cyl assy, heater core, dash duct work, firewall insulation on both sides, A/C evaporator box, MAP sensor, power steering gearbox, power steering plumbing, wiper motor assy, and a few other things done. slowly, but surely we'll get it there.

#25 ·
I got pretty crazy with the firewall when it was bare for exhaust clearance. It wouln't surprise me if there's enough room to fit a 4" pipe in there. I actually streched it far enough that I tore the metal open, and had to weld it back together. I've done enough obs exhaust systems that I knew I didn't ever want to have to mess with the firewall again once the engine was installed. Hopefully it won't be long before it becomes my daily driver.

#27 ·
I am curious. Did you HAVE to graft in the section of the firewall or could you of cut a opening for the PCM and spot welded the PCM bracket ? I hope i dont have to do that on my 86, The cab is just so nice i think i would cry if i had to do that to it. And i am going to try to keep my 86 dash as well(we will see how that goes)

Sorry for the questions. I just want to be prepared next month when i tear into my 86 to do the same swap

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.