parking brake - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Home Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum > Super Duty 1999-Current > 1999-2010 Super Duty General Aftermarket
Register Members List Timeslips Calendar Auto Loans Sponsors Becoming a Sponsor Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PowerStrokeNation.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-23-2010, 12:57 AM
budman
Buy more Budweiser
Member's Gallery

parking brake

The parking brake on my 00' f-250 will not hold.I Checked the pads on both sides,and they are fine.I also cheked the adjustment,but I didn't see any way to adjust it.Could it be possible that the cable is stretched?The truck is a stick,and parked on a slightly inclined driveway so it is prolly still a good idea to use a wheel chock anyways,but I would like to have the parking brake for hooking up the camper parked in the same driveway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Go to the top
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2010, 01:23 AM
99-350
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Re: parking brake

Mine does the same thing, there is a toothed roller on the bottom inside of the parking brake turn it one way it tightens, other it loosens. I jack the back of the truck up, adjust the brake till I cant turn the tire then back off two full turns. It doesn't last very long though but I don't want the drag of them rubbing all the time. Wheel Chocks would be a good idea.

Early 99 4x4 F350 XLT CC LWB 6 speed SRW rear air bags Tymar mod, (BLACK) 4" turbo back, DP F5 stock-60 tow-80 econ-120 race- 140 ext, CCV mod, Auto meter guages, and the best mod of all new cup holder (TOTALED RIP)
Old 03-23-2010, 01:31 AM
Cowboyup
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

99-350 got it.
Intake
Tunes
Leveling Kit
Old 03-23-2010, 04:03 AM
Arisley
All done now
Member's Gallery

Parking brake is a set of little drum brakes inside the center of the rotor. A lot like the Corvette parking brake setup (they were the first ones I saw doing it anyway). Parking brake is the correct term, this thing is in no way an Emergency brake.
Old 03-23-2010, 02:19 PM
JLDickmon
blame the dog..
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arisley View Post
Parking brake is a set of little drum brakes inside the center of the rotor. A lot like the Corvette parking brake setup (they were the first ones I saw doing it anyway). Parking brake is the correct term, this thing is in no way an Emergency brake.
x2

I use mine to keep the truck planted when I'm hooking up a trailer; the parking pawl in the trans always lets it roll too far in either direction..
Old 03-23-2010, 09:11 PM
terrye
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

So i had to take off the rotor to get access to the parking brake adjustment thingy (star type thing). I couldnt get it to adjust with my brake tool from the outside. i was doing a rear brake job so i just adjusted the parking brake shoes while everything was off and now they engage correctly.
2003 F350 6 speed.
Terry
Old 03-23-2010, 09:32 PM
Arisley
All done now
Member's Gallery

I had to custom bend a tool for mine.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:37 PM
tbolt
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arisley View Post
I had to custom bend a tool for mine.
Custom = torch and vise???
early99 f350 cc, lb, 2wd, drw, A pillar autometer guages, CTS monitor, AIS intake, 4" turbo back cat delete diamondeye exhaust, dptuner, pmt1, jw vb, Swamps ab inj, Adrenaline oil, Coolingmist, 180*T, Trucool cooler, spin on trans filter, Firestone air bags, 2" frt leveling kit, now chased by a 34' toyhauler
Old 03-24-2010, 12:08 AM
99-350
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

I used a flat screwdriver to adjust mine but Ive done it with the wheel off as well.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:27 AM
clydesdale
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Mine sucks also. I drive around with a wheel chock on the floor in the back. I adjust mine with a screw driver and after a while it sucks again.
2002 f-350 PSD, 4x4, cc short bed, 6spd, ccv mod, airdog, AIS filter, isspro ev and scangauges, detroit TT, ITP boost annihalator, ITP RR, bellowed up-pipes, ats housing, turbomaster, 3.5 dp magnaflow, very happy with ultra smooth and linear PHP 50t, 80DD and "whisper" tunes.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:46 AM
99-350
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

The last time i adjusted mine, the wife wanted to take my truck (for the first and last time) to wash and vacuum it and left the p-brake on the whole time haven't adjusted it since but the truck was clean
Old 03-24-2010, 12:51 AM
Coltaine
Science rulz
Member's Gallery

Send a message via AIM to Coltaine

Mine actually work, never touched it, just use it from time to time when I park on a steep grade. Usually forget to release it for the first 30 seconds or so since the P-brake switch isn't working.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:10 PM
budman
Buy more Budweiser
Member's Gallery

You have to be carefull not to tighten them too much or the hub seal will burn up.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:22 PM
Arisley
All done now
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by budman View Post
You have to be carefull not to tighten them too much or the hub seal will burn up.
The way I adjust mine.

1. Jack up and block the rear axle.
2. Unbolt the axles and slide them out.
3. Adjust while spinning wheel till you feel brake drag, back off till no drag.
4. Set and replace e_brake.
5. Repeat steps 1-4 for that wheel.
6. Repeat 1-5 for other wheel.
7. Reinstall axles and lower truck
Old 06-03-2010, 05:23 AM
badluck_early99
Going Crazy
Member's Gallery

Send a message via MSN to badluck_early99

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydesdale View Post
Mine sucks also. I drive around with a wheel chock on the floor in the back. I adjust mine with a screw driver and after a while it sucks again.
Mine has never worked right or well at all.. i dont know what the problem is as the pads are new and adjusted the cables are new... seems to me like the stupid pedal part isnt working right and tightening the cable enough... maybe you have a problem like me
1999 F250 PS 6spd, 37x12.50x17 ProComp Xmud, 06 Grill & Lights. DP tuner, Terminator Hpops, Garrett 42, Casserly B codes, FASS Fuel system by DI, H11's, ITP Reg Return W/Bowl Delete, Sknab 6oh Intercooler, DIY Intake, 4'' Exhaust, Itp OBA, Autometer boost and pyro, , ccv

-Richard-
Old 06-05-2010, 08:33 PM
rocketron
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Mine will only hold when it is raining or below freezing.
2001 F-350 XLT Super Cab 6 Speed. DP tunes (40t, 80e, 120r, hi idle), Overboost Reg, Tymar,4" AFE exhaust, Autometer Guages, Pro Comp leveling kit, 315/75-16 Toyo mt, American Racing wheels, other stuff coming!

"Duramax and Tampax, they're both for Pu$$ys!"
Old 11-24-2010, 11:43 PM
strokinforagoodtime
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by budman View Post
The parking brake on my 00' f-250 will not hold.I Checked the pads on both sides,and they are fine.I also cheked the adjustment,but I didn't see any way to adjust it.Could it be possible that the cable is stretched?The truck is a stick,and parked on a slightly inclined driveway so it is prolly still a good idea to use a wheel chock anyways,but I would like to have the parking brake for hooking up the camper parked in the same driveway.
I have a 99 F-250 and to adjust the parking brake you have to jack both wheels off the ground and remove the little black rubber thing (1" X 0.5") on the back bottom of the hub (or whatever its called where the shoes are). If you look inside the hole, you will see the star looking nut that you must adjust using a screwdriver. Mine gets tighter if you turn it from top to bottom on both sides. No need to take the tires off. Just rotate them, and adjust untill the wheel won't turn, then back off a little. Just make sure you chock the front wheels.
Old 11-25-2010, 02:24 AM
Bryrylan
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokinforagoodtime View Post
I have a 99 F-250 and to adjust the parking brake you have to jack both wheels off the ground and remove the little black rubber thing (1" X 0.5") on the back bottom of the hub (or whatever its called where the shoes are). If you look inside the hole, you will see the star looking nut that you must adjust using a screwdriver. Mine gets tighter if you turn it from top to bottom on both sides. No need to take the tires off. Just rotate them, and adjust untill the wheel won't turn, then back off a little. Just make sure you chock the front wheels.
same here and I used a regular old Flathead screw driver.

Kw w900B with a smaller stack than most pick ups
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi7615 View Post
look the word dodge up in any dictionary. it means "to avoid."
Old 01-25-2012, 04:44 PM
ckc496
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

Okay guys my truck is doing the same darn thing. When I go to jack it up to adjust the brake cable thingy do I need to have the Pbrake set or off. I'm a blonde chick and need a little better instructions. My truck won't hold at all. And like others have said it's an pain in the rear to hook to a trailer cutting her on and off. It's a 99 F350 dually if it makes any difference 6speed. Yall HELP :P
Old 01-25-2012, 04:56 PM
Betaracer
Lost Cause
Member's Gallery

My parking brake wouldn't hold worth a damn, and wouldn't release properly either. Turns out the backing plates were foo-kayed. Replaced those (comes complete with new parking brake pieces) and all is good. Not cheap though.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:46 PM
Riggodeaux
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

Very possible that your cables are stretched/failing, not just an adjustment to the adj. star. That was the case with mine, an 02 F350 stick. Had to have them all replaced [3], and didn't have time to do it myself, so price, with parts & labor was $500+. Retail on the three cables was around $250 IIRC, and its a PITA to redo the three. I made the mistake of not checking them out as part of the prepurchase inspection. My bad, live and learn .....
Old 04-01-2014, 01:14 AM
Jim Werley
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betaracer View Post
My parking brake wouldn't hold worth a damn, and wouldn't release properly either. Turns out the backing plates were foo-kayed. Replaced those (comes complete with new parking brake pieces) and all is good. Not cheap though.
How hard was it to replace the backing plates?
Old 04-01-2014, 05:18 PM
doubledoor
Canadian Stroker
Member's Gallery

I have the answer for this problem. I had no park brake for about 5 years could not figure it out changed the shoes twice changed the hardware changed the rotors changed all the cables. Still nothing. No mater how hard I pushed it would not holds at all. So after talking to a mechanic at work he knew exactly what I was talking about. It is the little arm that the cable attaches to that pushes the shoes. It has a small piviot pin that gets rusty and the hole ovals and it binds up. Picked up two from ford put them in and presto. Park brake holds on any incline. Could not belive it is that simple.
autometer NV boost,pyro,water temp and oil pressure
WW2,BRV
DP tunes - QI,60E,80E,40T,60T,100,120.
EBPV delete sensor.
blank pedestal and EBPV housing
ATS turbo housing
DI up-pipes.
2007 headlights,2008 taillights,2010 tailgate
17"Atx ledge with bfg AT.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 230
01strokin, 027.3, 02ccpsd, 02f300, 02stroker32, 123rday68, 1badpsd, 1sd, 1tonka99, 24hours, 300savage, 6speedSD, 773, 84crewcab, 94strokeher, 95powersmoker, 96strokerbp, 99STROKINSMOKIN, add73, AK1, AKclackclack, Al Mighty, AMEC Electric, Amofg4, ApachePilot64, arctic-20v, Arisley, armymp15, badluck_early99, Ballistic, Barnbuilder, beerbeer95648, Betaracer, bfoster, bftank, big-country, BIG01RIG, Bigdiezel, BigRed97, BigRedNewfie, bigtrucks33, bill4d, Binder man, black2door, Blue Hawg, boostaddict, bpa658, braden7.3, brianmp01, Bryrylan, budman, Bushwakd, cantrellc123, carrj66, caspower, Caster, catsnw, ccrowd, chassross2003, cheapjim, chrisreedtn, ckc496, codykthekilla, cota, cshsrh, Darth_Stroker, Diesel X, diesel78, Dieselgeek, dieselmac99, Dieselpop, Dieseltron, dieselvrgn, Doakster, donj1977, double-s-diesel, doubledoor, drkndzl22, Dustin F2504x4, elhombre, eric97svt, EverettWV, F-25000, farmall99, Farmboy, ferociousfish, firetigerr, florida 6.0, FSJPat, Gbdjunior, glovemeister, godslaker, gone6.0, Goneracin, gordo1384, Got4wd, gtmustang00, harperc, hawkfixer, HD-tech-NH, HoldeNatPower, howell_jd, huck65, IndianaDiesel, Indianjoe, internationalpsd, Iron, ITAcelica, JBowman72, jbwaldrop88, jdc753, jdinevens, jeromejcp, jgerdes2005, Jim Werley, Jingoist, Joedog, JSchuricht, jsimon724, jsmith, juvenile9, jweeezy350, KCDAXFACTOR, kdjo, kea2fla, knoxville, KYmxracer52, lhrboone, LILGSX, LOOSEWHEEL, lorado04, lt1monte3, Luke909, machete31, madmaxz, mandkole, Marauder, MATREDGT, Matt07, matts05f250sd, Mike96ZJ, Mike97f350, mildot, MJT, mnwake, Mooseposse, Mtack, neher72, NevrKnow, Newman, njjeep, nolesjunky28, Northcountrywood, Oakes, OBSisbest, OBSWIZ, OBXSand, OldSchool101, onestumper, OriginalRedneck, otis_301, Pdt1081, Peroni, pipedobber, pitbull62, powr2stroke, printzjd, PSDawg, PSDnate, PStroked444, QtrHorse, RA3PSD, rancher76, razorscs, rickvm, ridin high, Riggodeaux, Rob02F350, rocketron, rpenner54, RyanG85, ryantowry_81, sasquatch24, savvy1, SD70M, seg_97, semmens21, shaggy, sirsofus, smoke'n7.3, Smut, SnowRider1, southmike, srwdoug, SteveD, stickandtin, Stroke-n-it, Stroked383, stroker2, Stroker96, strokinforagoodtime, super73, swvaexcavator, TARM, tbolt, teamorange7, Tennesseepowerstroke, terrye, tgf, theron1128, Thompson7.3, TLC20, tls390, tmars51, ttford07, txpsd, txpsdcrwchf, usmcnewbee, VaTechPSD, Wheels, whitefx4, WidowMaker, wsigo, Yamahauler317, ynpmoose, yogr, Zmann, zs6.0