Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

parking brake

51K views 23 replies 19 participants last post by  Jax 
#1 ·
The parking brake on my 00' f-250 will not hold.I Checked the pads on both sides,and they are fine.I also cheked the adjustment,but I didn't see any way to adjust it.Could it be possible that the cable is stretched?The truck is a stick,and parked on a slightly inclined driveway so it is prolly still a good idea to use a wheel chock anyways,but I would like to have the parking brake for hooking up the camper parked in the same driveway.

#2 ·
Mine does the same thing, there is a toothed roller on the bottom inside of the parking brake turn it one way it tightens, other it loosens. I jack the back of the truck up, adjust the brake till I cant turn the tire then back off two full turns. It doesn't last very long though :shrug: but I don't want the drag of them rubbing all the time. Wheel Chocks would be a good idea.

#4 ·
Parking brake is a set of little drum brakes inside the center of the rotor. A lot like the Corvette parking brake setup (they were the first ones I saw doing it anyway). Parking brake is the correct term, this thing is in no way an Emergency brake.

#6 ·
So i had to take off the rotor to get access to the parking brake adjustment thingy (star type thing). I couldnt get it to adjust with my brake tool from the outside. i was doing a rear brake job so i just adjusted the parking brake shoes while everything was off and now they engage correctly.
2003 F350 6 speed.
Terry

#8 ·
Custom = torch and vise???

#9 ·
I used a flat screwdriver to adjust mine but Ive done it with the wheel off as well.

#10 ·
Mine sucks also. I drive around with a wheel chock on the floor in the back. I adjust mine with a screw driver and after a while it sucks again.

#15 ·
Mine has never worked right or well at all.. i dont know what the problem is as the pads are new and adjusted the cables are new... seems to me like the stupid pedal part isnt working right and tightening the cable enough... maybe you have a problem like me

#11 ·
:whs: The last time i adjusted mine, the wife wanted to take my truck (for the first and last time) to wash and vacuum it and left the p-brake on the whole time haven't adjusted it since but the truck was clean

#14 ·
The way I adjust mine.

1. Jack up and block the rear axle.
2. Unbolt the axles and slide them out.
3. Adjust while spinning wheel till you feel brake drag, back off till no drag.
4. Set and replace e_brake.
5. Repeat steps 1-4 for that wheel.
6. Repeat 1-5 for other wheel.
7. Reinstall axles and lower truck

#16 ·
Mine will only hold when it is raining or below freezing.:confused:

#17 ·
I have a 99 F-250 and to adjust the parking brake you have to jack both wheels off the ground and remove the little black rubber thing (1" X 0.5") on the back bottom of the hub (or whatever its called where the shoes are). If you look inside the hole, you will see the star looking nut that you must adjust using a screwdriver. Mine gets tighter if you turn it from top to bottom on both sides. No need to take the tires off. Just rotate them, and adjust untill the wheel won't turn, then back off a little. Just make sure you chock the front wheels.

#19 ·
Okay guys my truck is doing the same darn thing. When I go to jack it up to adjust the brake cable thingy do I need to have the Pbrake set or off. I'm a blonde chick and need a little better instructions. LOL My truck won't hold at all. And like others have said it's an pain in the rear to hook to a trailer cutting her on and off. It's a 99 F350 dually if it makes any difference 6speed. Yall HELP :p

#20 ·
My parking brake wouldn't hold worth a damn, and wouldn't release properly either. Turns out the backing plates were foo-kayed. Replaced those (comes complete with new parking brake pieces) and all is good. Not cheap though.

#21 ·
Very possible that your cables are stretched/failing, not just an adjustment to the adj. star. That was the case with mine, an 02 F350 stick. Had to have them all replaced [3], and didn't have time to do it myself, so price, with parts & labor was $500+. Retail on the three cables was around $250 IIRC, and its a PITA to redo the three. I made the mistake of not checking them out as part of the prepurchase inspection. My bad, live and learn .....

#23 ·
I have the answer for this problem. I had no park brake for about 5 years could not figure it out changed the shoes twice changed the hardware changed the rotors changed all the cables. Still nothing. No mater how hard I pushed it would not holds at all. So after talking to a mechanic at work he knew exactly what I was talking about. It is the little arm that the cable attaches to that pushes the shoes. It has a small piviot pin that gets rusty and the hole ovals and it binds up. Picked up two from ford put them in and presto. Park brake holds on any incline. Could not belive it is that simple.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.