Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Airdog Install!! What airdog to use 1 or 2

9K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  Caballo Diablo 
#1 ·
Does any one have any pics of there airdog install...and some pointers..Im gonna be buying a new pump this week and wondering whats best...I want to just run a pump like a airdog 2 and no regulated return or fuel system upgrades...besides my banjo bolts bein driled out...I have been reading and alot of guys say this is the way to roll airdog two & banjos and call it a day...also when u buy the air dog say from itp or whoever what else is needed in the install any fiting or brackets??

Thanks a ton PSN :bowfast: for all the help over the last few years in the six leaker struggle lmao

#3 ·
Ya man lmk what i can get a airdog 2 for?

#4 ·
Thanks to adam i got this all figured out and hopefully will be ordering one from him early next week...So what do u guys think about running just this with no RR and just drilled banjos and a regulator spring??

#7 ·
#6 ·
Sweet man i am going to get the regulated air dog for sure so thats great news again thanks adam for all your help :bowfast:You will be hearing from me early this coming week or maybe sooner to pick one up

#10 ·
Ya thats the way to go my air dog II is on the way and a new 4 gauge piller to fit a pressure gauge an my banjos have been drilled since the studs...

#12 ·
IMO, the use of an AirDog or FASS does NOT preclude the need for a Regulated Return. The AirDog is a filter, water separator and air removal device. Whether it's doing it at 10psi or 65psi, it's still doing just those functions. The only functional difference between a standard AirDog and AirDogII is that the latter can be used to REPLACE the stock fuel pump in cases where greater than stock fuel volume are needed.

I also do not believe that regulating your system pressure at the AirDogII is the right way to go. I had a customer call me to figure out why he was having fuel pressure issues with a 130/75 AirDogII. He had cranked the regulator on the engine all the way up and then adjusted the AirDogII to give him 65psi. Under heavy throttle the fuel pressure would drop drastically and he couldn't figure out why. This was a truck with a full fuel system at the engine, including higher flowing banjos, larger lines, etc. I instructed him to turn the pressure on the engine regulator way down, adjust the pressure of the AirDogII up to the max (75psi) and then readjust the engine fuel pressure to the desired 65psi. In this configuration, the pressure held a steady 65psi at all time.

In short, regulating the pressure way before the engine is NOT an effective way to run the system.

It should also be pointed out that an AirDog or FASS will not address the fuel flow issues resolved by higher flowing fittings, larger fuel lines, return lines with post fuel rail regulators and as I showed above...proper fuel pressure regulation. The AirDog/FASS and a Regulated Return setup address 2 entirely different issues and are not mutually exclusive.

#13 ·
i have ad2 and i love it pressures always there no problems...and i never drilled out banjos.....honestly never thought about it....should i what are the positives about doing so?

#15 ·
I dont have a rr on my truck, Just a FASS and upgraded fuel lines. Never had an issue with mine maintaining fuel pressure. Seems unnessisary to have a regulated pump and rr? If you ran that setup there would be 2 regulators which seems unnessisary. I may be wrong though...

#16 ·
:whs: thats what i was thinking but hell i dont know...I do want the bigger lines for sure!!Sam did you make yours?

#18 ·
Heres a few pics of the AIR DOG II mounted and the crossover that goes in place of the stock pump the install was real easy I did drop the tank to get to the feed line on but i fixed my fuel gauge while i was in there(Snagged float always said full) ...I replaced all the feed and went with a regulated return and -8 stainless line.Ill get some pics of that too...We got most of the stuff off the top of the engine to start the egr delete and put on the hot tanked manafold on this truck is really not bad to work on the tranny came out quickness...This old manafold was so NASTY inside glad i didnt spray any water to it!!! The uppipe will be a breeze with the tranny out :D

Attachments

#19 ·
Couldn't you still use the RR to stop the fuel from dead heading? And wouldn't that be a better set up than stock? I don't want to spend a ton of money, but I do like to do things as to stop any posibilities of problems down the road.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.